Sat 2 writing

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Sat 2 writing
By Johnnyd (Johnnyd) on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 09:33 am: Edit

What's the best way to prepare for the essay on the test? Also, while im talking about the test, what's the best way to study for the mul choice?

By Hightower (Hightower) on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 01:52 pm: Edit

I just used the Kaplan sat II writing book to get a general idea, got a 770 from may 3rd sat II writing. Good luck.

By Hightower (Hightower) on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 01:54 pm: Edit

I just used the Kaplan sat II writing book to get a general idea, got a 770 from may 3rd sat II writing. Good luck.

By Thepiskickass (Thepiskickass) on Friday, May 16, 2003 - 08:21 pm: Edit

I didn't study at all because I'm an arrogant freaking idiot. I hate myself. I got a 660 on Writing this May 3rd.

By Johnnyd (Johnnyd) on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

thanks, anyone else?

By Johnnyd (Johnnyd) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 05:47 pm: Edit

...at all?

By Agentx004 (Agentx004) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

i used barrons and the princeton review book. can always trust barron's explanations and princeton has great practice tests. i used the two of them and got a 760. i also took AP english before as well....so that may have helped.

By Dschnapps (Dschnapps) on Sunday, May 18, 2003 - 07:22 pm: Edit

What I did was study the model of the question, usually answerable by a very loose and elastic response. I approached the essay with the strategy that at least one of my two examples would be a novel, and another would be history/personal experience, which ever was more applicable. I read "The Jungle" right before the test, and was able to use it, though it was kind of a stretch. Find a good book with themes, morals, or events that can be tied into a question like, "Is the world getting better?" You could also rack your brain for powerful personal experiences. More importantly, on the essay section, you MUST BE SPECIFIC! Even if you have a brilliant analysis of the history of civil rights, without details like Brown vs Board of Education or Kansas-Nebraska Act, it will be hard to score highly. That is my recommendation for the essay. Regarding the grammar, if you don't know it already you're kind of in trouble, and it is hard. For this section, don't MAKE UP problems with the sentence. Read it through to yourself and choose the best response. Often, but not always, the shortest and most concise sentence is the best. I got an 800 using these strategies, and I think they'll work for you. Good luck!

By Ziplocky (Ziplocky) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 08:40 pm: Edit

Here's what I think...

...I couldn't study for the essay! I was too scared to even try! Because it's a crapshot! I got a horrible essay, in my opinion, "The world is getting better."

DO YOU KNOW WHAT POPPED INTO MY PANICKED LITTLE HEAD?

BASEBALL!

I wrote a 2 page essay about how BASEBALL makes the world better...

it was sad.

But the grammar you can definitely practice for, because you'll see the same kind of questions over and over again.

I really recommend Sparknotes.com SAT prep program for $25 for ALL the tests, it was a great, great GREAT deal. And it was really easy, too.

BTW I got 770...even with that crappy stupid essay...lol

By Dschnapps (Dschnapps) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

hahahahahahahaha, zip that little description of your essay approach was hilarious, and congratulations for your surely well-deserved score.

it's true that the essay is a CRAPshoot, but as long as you're familiar with the general model, you can kind of prepare.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 10:09 pm: Edit

yes i totally agree, not only does the random topic make the essay portion completely luck, but it depends on what your subconscious writing mind is thinking that day. i could write two completely different essays on the same topic on two occasions, one probably with a higher score. about a week before the test, everyone bombarded me with their opinions on how to write a good essay -- bla bla bla 5 paragraphs etc, but on the day of the test, i totally forgot about all of them and just .. wrote. luckily it turned out fine i got a 790 on the test.

don't get hampered so much by the "Rules" of writing a good essay. make sure it has some support and that it is long.
for the grammar part, just look in a book.

By Hightower (Hightower) on Monday, May 19, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

For the essay, think of 3 basic examples you could use for any essay... one from literature, one from science, one from a current event, etc. This will help.

By Nuoli (Nuoli) on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

The essay sucks.

I got a stupid topic "Sometimes we need others to understand ourselves," so I wrote a satire about my middle-school social experiences. It was a good essay, but the readers don't care about that -- they want a highly organized thing that goes "one, two, three! point made."

But yeah, the essay doesn't matter all that much if you're good with the grammar m/c. If you read a lot, you are absolutely fine; if you don't, start. That's the only real way. But if you're in a hurry, and can't put the SAT II off, then go with Barrons and practice, practice, practice! That's the ONLY way to go. Take a practice test once a week, score it yourself, do this six or seven times and I guarantee you'll be better off.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page