AP Government

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP Government
By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 11:37 am: Edit

The multiple choice was suprisingly strait forward and the essays were pretty easy.

I have a couple of questions: which committee in the house is in charge of taxes (I put means and ways).

Also, which ethnic group generally votes for democrats: (black southernes?).

What factor most significantly predicts voting behavior (economic status)?

Thanks

By Eurostar (Eurostar) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 12:28 pm: Edit

I said ways and means
surprisingly...midwestern union-members..black southerners just don't vote as much
i said either age or econ. status...can't remember :/

By Danser39 (Danser39) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 01:07 pm: Edit

ways and means
southern blacks
socioeconomic status

By Holdenesquealex (Holdenesquealex) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 03:47 pm: Edit

ways and means
southern blacks
By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

I think that the age is an important factor, however in my review book it says that socioeconomic conditions are the most economic factor in deciding voting patterns.

By Cutlasssupremer (Cutlasssupremer) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

i said socioecon too.

what did you guys put for "what limits the presidents ability to control executive agencies?"
i put (a)... that the pres. has no authority over agency heads (i was thinking of independent agencies like the SEC). but all my friends put (e)- the bureaucracy can exercise discretionary power over presidential directives. Any thoughts?

Also, for essay # 3 (graph). Block grants increase the number of state+local employees. What do mandates do? I said that they also increase state+local employees (like Natl Security mandates... they force the states to hire more cops). But other people disagreed (they pointed out the drop in state and local at the very end of the graph). What did you guys put?

Thanks a bunch

By Curiousone (Curiousone) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 06:23 pm: Edit

hey, what did you guys put for one of the multiple choice questions that asked about the media's role in politics? I was undecided between the media replacing the political party in providing information on the candidates, or the option after it, and I don't remember what it was anymore.

I also put labor unions as the most likely to vote Democratic as it seems a union worker would never vote for big business interests (Republicans)...doesn't that make sense? Because the whole reason for gerrymandering was that in the South they thought that separating the blacks would create a Republican district because they would vote Republican. At least, that's what I read somewhere.

By Holdenesquealex (Holdenesquealex) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Yeah, you're probably right about the socioeconomic, I was debating between the two.

I put e for the limits of presidential control over the bureaucracy.

Yeah, for the essay I put that mandates also increase the number of state/local employees. I wasn't quite sure, but I linked it to the Americans With Disabilities Act... more employees are needed to determine whether a public place has "equal access" and to enforce it. A bit of a stretch I guess.

edit - I put the information for that media question as well. Wasn't sure about it, but it made the most sense to me.

By Eurostar (Eurostar) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:24 pm: Edit

I agree with you Holdenesquealex on the mandate stuff. If the fed. gov. wants the states to change a policy, for example, by making it more regulated, the state in turn is going to have to put an extra effort to fix their programs. Thus, more people are needed...now that I think about it...it does seem like sort of a stretch

By Usc_Princess (Usc_Princess) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:25 pm: Edit

Yeah the answer was mid-west Union worker..

Oh, and i thought the test was pretty easy.. they give way too much time on the essays!

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:38 pm: Edit

How about that question with the War Powers Resolution? I can't decide between "it did not specify what the significant military action was" and "president can go into national emergency." I picked the latter, but now think that the right answer is the former.

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

I disagree with you Usc_princess,I believe that the answer was black southerns.

Also, what were the choices for the question, "what did you guys put for "what limits the presidents ability to control executive agencies?"

By Apguy (Apguy) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

I'm in US History, not government, but if it helps at all the War Powers Resolution limited the presidents power in sending troops overseas. If I recall correctly, he has to notify congress about sending troops within 48 hours of their deployment and can only keep them on foreign soil for a month or two.

Hope that helps at all.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

It doesn't help. I am aware of what you said, but the answer choices went into more detail.

By Eurostar (Eurostar) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

It does help. ETS is looking for what you know was the 'big picture' thing about the War-Powers Act. This was that it LIMITED the powers of the president (as compared to, for example the Gulf of Tonkin Res. during Vietnam that gave him a lot more power). Congress, through the War-Powers act, is able to put a check on the powers of the president (funny thing is that his powers weren't obtained constitutionally in the first place). Therefore, the answer is national emergency. This gives the president power.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

Did you take the exam? The question asked for a problem with the Resolution. So I picked that the problem was that the president could still declare a national emergency and basically do whatever he wants. According to you, I am right. However, my friend put down that the Resolution did not define "major military action"

By Howdydoody (Howdydoody) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 11:16 pm: Edit

What were the four free response questions? Hardest multiple choice? E-mail me if you can:

theoneandonlycelebfan@mail.com

I am just curious how it was this year. Thank you!

By Eurostar (Eurostar) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 06:47 am: Edit

Yeah, I took the exam. I just remember my reasoning, not the actual question.

By Curiousone (Curiousone) on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Howdydoody, the free response for US Gov is already online at collegeboard.com:

www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/ap/students/govpol/govpol_us_frq_03.pdf

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 06:46 pm: Edit

Quarky, you are right, I asked my gov. teacher...

By Curiousone (Curiousone) on Saturday, May 17, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

b
u
m
p

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page