AP US DBQ

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP US DBQ
By Nuoli (Nuoli) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Okay, I'm starting to worry about this DBQ. My teacher had a baby immediately following the semester I took AP US HIST, so she wasn't available for review -- and in the meantime, I seem to have forgotten how to write a DBQ (if ever I knew).

Here's the problem: I don't seem to have actually done a whole lot of analyzation. I wrote a strong thesis, that FDR's expansion of the government was his ultimate legacy (as opposed to any solution for the Depression itself), but my paragraphs may have lacked complexity.

1st paragraph: Hoover and Hoovervilles, misery of the depression. (cites doc A). FDR takes power as a result.

2nd - 4th paragraphs: Specific solutions to causes of the depression; namely, TVA to help agriculture, FDIC to protect against bank failure, and corporate/SSA/PWA reforms to help average Joe.

5th paragraph: FDR expanded power, congress did not check, Supreme Court tried to counter, FDR proposes court-packing plan, Congress dismisses.

Conclusion: FDR wields a lot of power; more important than whether or not the solutions actually succeeded, ultimate legacy is expanded role in citizens' lives.

What I'm kinda worried about are two things, first, the lack of analyzation of the stuff I talked about (I used a narrative tone). Second, I didn't really talk a lot about the documents; I relied mostly on outside facts and I merely cited a document when it, at a glance, sort of implied something I was saying. Also, I made a minor error, saying FDR took power in 1928.

So how much is my "textbook-style" writing going to hurt me? I think I need a 6 on the DBQ to get a 5... I got high 50s on the mult choice and somewhere around 11 on the essays.

Thanks.

By Me1 (Me1) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

I don't think style will hurt u THAT much. I think that AP Eng. is graded on style and AP US more checks for info/facts/etc.

By Edp (Edp) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:39 pm: Edit

i think ur fine, my teach said to barely mention the docs and to rely just on facts/dates/etc., but the narrative thing, instead of anaylzing is gonna hurt

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page