AP Bio essays

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP Bio essays
By Smiley (Smiley) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 07:03 pm: Edit

How do these essays look?

For the genetics one:
a) the female parent is rr and the male parent is Rr but the trait is sex linked (should have said that the male is RY, hope that won't matter too much since I explained the male only has one gene)
b) I understood the chi-square cuz I had done it for prob-stat, but I think that I got the predicted ones wrong...
c) Depends on b

For the regulation one:
-osmoregulation in terrestrial vertebrates: lymphatic system, water taken out from large intestine... wasn't sure
-thermoregulation in terrestrial vertebrates:
sweat glands, vasodialation/vasoconstriction, a lot of general stuff about negative feedback
-osmoregulation in plants:
transpiration rate higher in dry, hot, or windy conditions (explained why), closing of stomata, C4 plants

For the death one:
a) apoptosis of cells in general, replacement of eurethrocytes so that newer red blood cells can carry more oxygen, lead to greater health and fitness, apoptosis of cells within tail of human embryo
b) as for the replacement, I had no idea, so I put something about the sodium/potassium gradient that forms in the nerve cells and the pump that restores gradient... could this possibly be right?
c) for the role of death, stuff about carrying capacity not being filled up with older individuals who can't reproduce, making room for new species, etc.

For the carrying capacity one:
a) Phase A is exponential growth, the only constriction is how fast the population can reproduce, it has not yet reached carrying capacity, etc, then reaches dynamic equilibrium
b) discussion of dynamic equilibrium, seasonal changes, fluctuations in numbers of prey available, reproductive cycles (only breed in certain seasons)
c) r-selected produce as much as possible, not limited by carrying capacity, often small animals, little parental care, large numbr of offspring, population reaches carrying capacity and fluctuates, example: insects. k-selected are stable near carrying capacity, tend to be larger offspring with more parental care, fewer offspring, example: elephants

Anyone kind enough to give me a sense of how good a shot of a 4/5 you think I might have based on essays?

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

are humans r selected??

By Heythere (Heythere) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

looks pretty good...did you do sex linked genes in the genetics one?

c depended on b? I don't think so--it was like mutations and stuff

apoptosis is a good key word

replacement I talked about dumb things

for the role of death i talked about natural selection, differential reproductive success, gene drift, predation

seasonal changes, predation, density dependent/independent factors

r selected clutch sizes/stuff

looks aight

semelparity and iteroparity i putt for the populations

I think whether you got a 4/5 depends on how well you did on the multiple choice

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

osmoregulation has to do with the hypothalmus/posterior pituary/anti-diuretic hormone/higher reabsorbtion of water.

thermoregulation you could have also mentioned sweat glands

death one
b.) replacement i put red blood cells reused by spleen
C.) i put the inferior individuals must die before reproducing for natural selection to take place

i think you probably did decent on the essays since you answered them all and had points, if you got 90+ on the MC i think you have a good shot at a 5

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

humans are K

By Smiley (Smiley) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Thanks very much for the thoughts... keep 'em coming ;-) Heythere, I did talk about sex linked and how the female has two copies and so must have two recessive ones in order to display the white-eyed phenotype, while the male only has one copy (since he is XY and the gene is on the X chromosome) so his phenotype just depends on what that one allele is. You're right about c... I had forgotten. I just talked about point mutations and frame shift mutations and stuff... what was it about supposed to be? I did mention sweat but just talked about how it causes cooling because water has a high specific heat so the sweat takes the heat from the body... Thanks for the opinions, guys! :-)

By Haan (Haan) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

For C with the mutations u just talk about them in about a sentence or two for each mutation rite?

Death: I put

a.) Tay Sach's disease - Apoptosis in the brain
and the cells dying in the heart during a heart attack signal new arteries to be formed to provide oxygen and nutrients to the site.

b.) talked about lysosomes fusing with food vacuoles to degrade stuff

c.) Natural Selection

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

whoa i have seen some colorful examples of how death helps a multicellular organism. I just put Xylem in plants (becomes wood for support and transport) and dead skin (waterproof surface), those work as well right?

By Skiesofamber (Skiesofamber) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

eek!! for the first one I said it was sex-linked, but I put the genotypes of the P1 generation as

female- XrXr (the 'r's were subbed)
male- XRYr (again, the 'r's were subbed)

how many points will they take off? :(

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page