CLEP Examination, totally confusing

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: CLEP Examination, totally confusing
By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:21 pm: Edit

Can I take these tests as a high school junior? I notice they have many tests similar to the subjects in AP, so can I double up credits for college? For example, I took AP Calculus so wouldn't it be to my advantage to take CLEP Calculus as well?

I am trying to look up the CLEP policies for many colleges and am unable to locate them. Like Cornell University's website doesn't seem to have much information on it but does on AP credit policies.

Any info is appreciated.

By Me1 (Me1) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:24 pm: Edit

I know from looking @ the AP policies for a few colleges (just 2 or so I've happened to look @) they said u can't be awarded "double" credit in the same area. Ie. if you took AP Calc & Calc 1 @ a local college or any other college credit for the same level of calc (ie IB, etc.) you could only receive the credit 1x. You could would visit the websites of whatever colleges you're interested and view their specific policies cos it probably varies.

By Brd (Brd) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:27 pm: Edit

What do you mean "double up"? You are not going to get twice the credit for the same class (and why would you want that anway?) so if you get a score sufficient for credit with one test, taking the other would be a waste of time and money.

When I took CLEP tests they were administered at the university I was attending at the time, so I imagine the logistics of taking a CLEP test in HS would be at least a little involved.

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:15 pm: Edit

Elite colleges are much less likely to accept CLEP than AP. Check on a few colleges you're interested in before you invest time and money in CLEP tests.

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

Has anyone had experience with CLEP? Do schools prefer AP over CLEP?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

YES, AP is preferred over CLEP tests by all schools, and the super-elites don't care about CLEP at all. Anyone at any age can take them, but CLEPs are more commonly taken by adults who have been out of school for awhile but have learned a subject from work or life experiences. The APs are much longer and more rigorous, and cover a standardized body of knowledge. However, some subjects (like business, accounting) have a CLEP test but don't have an AP test.

Have you been to the College Board site to read about CLEP?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page