AP US History - made an error, what should i do

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP US History - made an error, what should i do
By Hed (Hed) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 08:34 am: Edit

I don't know what I was thinking, I circled the wrong essay but I did one of the choices, will they give me a 0 or grade it on the essay I wrote?

By Me1 (Me1) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 09:04 am: Edit

No, they won't. Call the collegeboard. (Go to collegeboard.com for their #) & explain to them what happened. For my AP English exam, the proctor let me use whiteout & didn't say it was not allowed & then it turned out u weren't allowed, so I called collegeboard & told them what happened & they said I won't be penalized. So if u call them & tell them, I don't think u will be penalized.

By Hed (Hed) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

can anyone verify this?

By Chasgoose (Chasgoose) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:34 pm: Edit

Real people read these essays, so when they are assigned your essay and they realize it is not on the topic that you circled they won't give you a zero, they will most likely just tell their supervisor and have it given to the readers for the question that you actually answered. The only consequence of the miscircling is probably just going to be a delay in getting your scores.

By Aawesome (Aawesome) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:39 pm: Edit

You are not supposed to use a whiteout??? Are you sure? Because I used it on my essays all over the place!! Do I need to call and ask? My proctor didn't say anything about the use of whiteout and she saw me using it..

By Ceesie (Ceesie) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

your proctor probably didn't know. mine told me not to use whiteout. call and make sure

By Me1 (Me1) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Aawesome, this is what happened w/me. AFTER the exam, my teacher said we weren't supposed to have used whiteout. I started to worry so I had my mom call the AP center or whatever. They said that the school needed to send in a statement w/the exam saying u were not informed of the rule so u won't be penalized. Sooo it sux that u have to do that stuff, but I think it's best to do that to be safe. I kinda don't think they'd really care if u didn't, but I wanted to be safe.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:26 pm: Edit

i put •••• collegeboard on the corner of my ESSAY paper instead of my QUESTIONS packet. do you think i will be penalized?

By Hed (Hed) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:33 pm: Edit

chas thank you, i have been worrying about this since the end of the exam after discussing essay topics with friends. do you still recommend i call or is it unnecessary?

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

You've gotta be kidding!
I guess that depends on how much of a sense of humour your readers have.
How big did you write it, if you're serious

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 06:22 pm: Edit

>>Real people read these essays, so when they are assigned your essay and they realize it is not on the topic that you circled they won't give you a zero<<

Well said. These aren't scored by machines so if you had a minor error don't expect an invalid score.

Also, Me1: It's good that you got that resolved. Did you ever find out exactly why they don't allow white out?

By Me1 (Me1) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 06:40 pm: Edit

Nope, I don't know why. Seems like a kinda trivial rule. I was thinking maybe it allows cheating if I teacher like whited out a mistake in someone's essay before sending it in. Otherwise no clue. I just hope the AP graders aren't like subtly biased against my essay though.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page