REVOLUTION OF 1800 QUESTION ON AP US HISTORY

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: REVOLUTION OF 1800 QUESTION ON AP US HISTORY
By Uciant (Uciant) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:50 pm: Edit

WHAT DID EVERYONE PUT FOR THE QUESTION THAT ASKED "WHY WAS THE ELECTION OF THOMAS JEFFERSON CALLED THE REVOLUTION OF 1800" OR WORDS TO THAT EFFECT? I KNOW I WAS TORN BETWEEN "PEACEFUL TRANSITION" AND "SUPPRESSION OF FEDERALISTS"

By Montydsw11 (Montydsw11) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

The answere was peaceful transition. It was not a suppresion of anything.

By Spartan858585 (Spartan858585) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 09:13 pm: Edit

How can a revolution be a peaceful transition???? The answer is suppression of Federalists.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 09:15 pm: Edit

I omitted that one

By Wizzz (Wizzz) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

100% certain it was a peaceful revolution. Here is what the American Pageant has to say

"Jefferson later calimed that the election of 1800 was a "revolution" comparable to that of 1776. But it was no revolution in the sense of a massive popular upheaval. What was revolutionary was the peaceful and orderly transfer of power on the basis of an election whose results all parties accepted. This was a remarkable - ineed even "revolutionary" achievement for a raw young nation, especially after all the partisan bitterness that had agitated the country during Adams's presidency."

By Uciant (Uciant) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 11:56 pm: Edit

actually the college board has released that this question was erroneous in that both answers are deemed to be correct. RIP question # 46.

By Aj61498 (Aj61498) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

Uciant do you have a link to which I could see for myself? Not that I don't belive you, but just to make sure...

By Erika (Erika) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:52 am: Edit

I understand why the College Board would omit it. The main gist of the Revolution was the peaceful and orderly transfer of power. The government was also transferred from the Federalists to the Republicans, a notable point which would make that option a viable answer.

But damn, I put peaceful revolution and I could've used that point.

By Reelcool (Reelcool) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:34 am: Edit

wasnt one of the answers that it was a shift in power from federalist to anti federalist...I put that, isnt that right? the other answer is right too, how can they have 2 right answers? thats not fair. am i remembering this question wrong?

By Vaj (Vaj) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:39 am: Edit

The question is not erroneous. It was a peaceful transfer of power, as stated in ALL of our textbooks. If you were never taught about the Revolution of 1800 I suggest you beat the crap out of your History teacher.

By Jlq3d3 (Jlq3d3) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:40 pm: Edit

I know for sure it is Peaceful transition.

By Diconoclastx (Diconoclastx) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 01:45 pm: Edit

I put peaceful transition too. That was quite the obvious answer.

By Boo (Boo) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:02 pm: Edit

If that was the wording (I can't remember it myself) then the question is pretty bad...It wasn't called the "Revolution" because of its passivity - but it was indeed passive. Jefferson called it the "Revolution" because it was a victory over the "despotic" regime that the federalists had created, one comparable to Britain and 1776.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:33 pm: Edit

i think it was erroneous becasue it didnt clarify who called it revolutionary. Jefferson said one reason adn historians call it a revolution for a different reason.

By Uciant (Uciant) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:42 pm: Edit

yes this question is indeed controversial. both answers are indeed correct... the revolution of 1800 was indeed peaceful, but it wouldnt have been a revolution had the federalists were not suppressed.

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:43 pm: Edit

Did anyone call Collegeboard or email them to confirm the invalidty of this question?

By Sdk7x7 (Sdk7x7) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:40 pm: Edit

First of all, I think Uciant is full of crap. There's no notice about this question being invalidated on the College Board site and I strongly doubt that ETS would make such a move only one day after the exam... let alone notify people about it.

Regardless, I do think that the question is unfair. While the revolution WAS a peaceful transfer of power, it was also the end of the Federalist party. I just sent an email to the College Board telling them this much. If YOU want to send them an email, visit: http://www.collegeboard.com/ap/students/faq/faq003.html#q2

-sdk

By Sdk7x7 (Sdk7x7) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:44 pm: Edit

If the URL to the college board above is messed up, just send an email to: apinquiries@info.collegeboard.org

You have to tell them that it was the AP US History exam given on May 9, 2003. Also include that it was the multiple choice section and (I think) question 46. Then give as much info as possible about the question and the answers.

-sdk

By Boo (Boo) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Are we missing something here though...because why would the answer be "passive transistion" to a question asking why it was named the "Revolution of 1800" - I believe that the question was more along the lines of 'The "Revolution of 1800" was best characterized by...' and thus the answer would be passive transistion, sadly.

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 04:20 pm: Edit

boo, did the question say "named" or "characterized by", I forgot.

By Boo (Boo) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 05:20 pm: Edit

I don't know...but if it is indeed characterized than i don't think supression would be the best choice

By J031p (J031p) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

In your history books (and in your study guides, read the REA, it's in there), historians had called the peaceful transition the Revolution of 1800. I guaranteed it's in there, in fact I read the REA book and my other blue history study guide (forget the name), and both had the Revolution of 1800 directly stated in there.

By Uciant (Uciant) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

bump

By Haan (Haan) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 03:19 pm: Edit

For this question was there a choice about the election being decided in the House of Representatives - cuz i think that's what i put

By Vaj (Vaj) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 02:09 am: Edit

Peaceful transfer of power is the ANSWER, no doubt about it. This question is not controversial at all

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page