Assess my AP US history Performance

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Assess my AP US history Performance
By Haan (Haan) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 02:45 pm: Edit

If i get lets say a 60 raw score on the MC/80 and 13,8,5 on my essys what can i expect?

By Joel_Set (Joel_Set) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 02:59 pm: Edit

i am thinking a low 5... that's around what i got.. if i did worse than i think i did..
again ppl disagreeing with me.. feel free

By Gimix (Gimix) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

According to REA's AP us history book.. it's a 5

By Apguy (Apguy) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

Actually, that would be a 4.

Collegeboard published the scale for this years test online:

http://www.collegeboard.com/ap/ushistory/scoring2003

By Apguy (Apguy) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 03:13 pm: Edit

Gotcha!

Hope you get the score you wanted!

By Me1 (Me1) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

um How can u get a 13 on an essay? Aren't they all from 1-9?

By Me1 (Me1) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 03:44 pm: Edit

Good luck though! I'd say that's a 5 (although I'm not sure what u mean by the 13?)

By Boo (Boo) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Just hope, on average, everyone did really horrible.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 05:46 pm: Edit

dbq gets more than the weight of one essay, theres extra weight on it

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:21 pm: Edit

okay, that was the most horrible thing i have ever taken in my life! i came out of it and was like i didnt know anything. i know i did so bad because all my teacher focused on was slavery and civil rights. there was nothing on the test about slavery or civil rights did anyone notice that??? well, im going to get a two, and im not mad at my self because tried my best.

p.s.-jason817 how did you do?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

terrible. omitted 20 multiple choice, weak DBQ, average free responses.

I calculated that I might get a high 2. If I am lucky, I will get a 3.

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

i answered to many questions on the mc i only omitted 5 i think i should have left alot more blank. my dbq was only like 3 pgs long and i didnt have any outside info just stuff i got from the documents, and my essays were average and on the last essay i put the wrong information! are there any colleges that accept 2's? i mean any at all...

By Me1 (Me1) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:35 pm: Edit

I don't think any colleges accept 2's. Some don't even accept 4's & 5's. Good luck though!

By Joel_Set (Joel_Set) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

site doesn't exist.. according to rea.. u should get a five.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:47 pm: Edit

thats why he said "Gotchya" after

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:59 pm: Edit

my dbq was 2 pages

By Haan (Haan) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

TO APGUY: I tried following the link you gave me but it didn't work - can u tell me how to find that scale through the site - like how u got to it? Thanx and no if i got a 4, I didn't get the score I wanted. I thought the test was difficult, more difficult that last year's AP Euro Exam, but lets see - i gotta hope for the best

By Haan (Haan) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Are REA's scaling for the AP exams accurate? It seems way too lenient

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 07:03 pm: Edit

you know the best part of the exam was the stickers

By Vaj (Vaj) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

I think you got mid-5...I'm pretty sure. Great job. I feel like I did about the same, but I didn't finish my DBQ (almost finished my third paragraph). It was about 2 2/3 pages. My first essay was two pages and my last essay was three pages. But get this, one of my essys was number 4 and instead of choosing two regions of the United States, I only talked about one, the North. Will this heavily affect my score? I'm hoping for a low-5 since I think I got 60+ on the MC.

By Diconoclastx (Diconoclastx) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

what r the dbq and essays out of?

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:13 pm: Edit

REA's is NOT the actual curve. All essays are out of 9. Multiply the DBQ by 4.5 and the sum of the other 2 essays by 2.75. Add them. Correct MC's - 1/4(#wrong questions). Multiply that by 1.125. Add MC's raw score and essays raw score and there you go. THe grading scale on the REA's is accurate +-2.

By Vaj (Vaj) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Well either way he should get a 5

By Storm25s (Storm25s) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:56 pm: Edit

so what is the REA scale for us who do not know?

By Joel_Set (Joel_Set) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

here is my theory.. either way ( the blank out of 15 scale or multiply dbq by 4.5).. their results are all same... the 15 is there to just put more weight on the dbq which is pretty acurate.. also vai vai.. if u only talked about the north.. i dont' want to get your hopes up so you are kinda screwed.. if you only talk about one portion of the essay.. it's called "unbalanced" and really the highest u can get is a 5 if not a 6.. i dunno for sure so don't let this get you down.. at least u did pretty well on the other ones

By Nuoli (Nuoli) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Oyoy,

MC was fairly decent. I got somewhere in the high 50s of mult. choice right, ommitted one... raw score of roughly 60.

The essays killed me though; I haven't written a DBQ in five months... although I knew alot about the topic, I performed NO analyazation of the documents... I'd say something like "Unemployment was 8% in 1928, when FDR took office" or like "The Supreme Court countered FDR's abuse of power in something vs something" and then just cite (Doc A), etc.

The second essay was pretty good, although I was kind of short of facts. (Art. of Confed.) I talked about the economic failure (mass. debts, no taxes) then military failure (shay's rebellion, reliance on states for militia) and then legislative failure (veto power of states, should have mentioned veto of tax but forgot, mentioned treaty with France and Northwest Ordinance as few successes).

My third essay was horrible though, I did Civil War effects on 1865-1900... the time frame was just so huge... I managed to stick out a first pargraph talking about the Republicans taking power and sticking up puppet governments in the South, Reconstruction, and the 14th and 15th Amendments. Then I felt like talking about the North, so I scratched out about two lines about how the Radicals seized power and funded internal improvements and high tarriffs. I then realized I had about 10 minutes left, so hastily I wrote something about carpetbaggers rebuilding the Southern infrastructure, and made the unbacked statment that both Northern and Southern industry improved (ran out of time). Made the hastiest conclusion in the world, rather horrible, just said that radicals took over and the backlash to that would dominate politics for the remainder of the century. And North and South built industry.

So, yeah, I'm really worried now. Any idea of what I got? I don't know what to give myself on the DBQ with my unanalyzed documents or my other bad essays, for that matter. Thanks.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

id say on the border btw 4 and 5

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 04:27 pm: Edit

Nuoli: You chose the hardest of the essays.

By Nuoli (Nuoli) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 04:56 pm: Edit

guess that won't help me come scoring, eh? Thanks, though :-)

By Mreeves (Mreeves) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 05:23 pm: Edit

Okay, can someone just tell me roughly about what I got?

MC was okay . . . I think I got about low-mid 60s, high 50s raw score.

My DBQ was a little more than 4 pgs (single spaced), 7 paragraphs. I was lucky because we basically did the exact same thing in class, and I used all but one document. I basically said that Roosevelt was a decent president with his new deal, and I mentioned his agencies(that cartoon really helped!), fireside chats, etc. In my concession, I talked about how it didn't benefit minorities like blacks, Mexicans, etc.

The first FR sucked. I didn't know either one in depth, so I chose the Articles of Confed. It was only 1.5 pages and I BSed it all . . . I say hopefully, a 4.

Second FR, I thought was okay. I had a little more than 2 pages on the consumerism and women of the 1920s and 1950s. I think I went into enough depth, and hopefully I can get a 6-7 on that one.

So . . . can anyone give me a guess?

Thanks

P.S. How did everyone do their DBQs? Was it 5 paragraphs or 7? Did anyone do theirs like: intro, setting the scene, 3 body, concession, and conclusion?

By Minority (Minority) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 05:34 pm: Edit

My DBQ was 5 pages (i spent an HOUR)..it's weighed more so i wanted full credit; i ended up writing 3 pgs for the articles and 2 for the civil war one-THAT i could not finish.

I beat around the bush too much i think...
did anyone else start the essay by quickly explaining the causes of the great depression (laissez-faire/consumerism on credit/ Black tuesday) and mention Hoover's lack of intervention (too little too late).

That alone (plus intro) took up 3/4 (maybe less) of a page..i think it was good b/c i could contrast it with FDR's increasing of federal government power/involvement.

By Mreeves (Mreeves) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 05:43 pm: Edit

Yeah, I mentioned Hoover too just to contrast between him and Roosevelt, but the question didn't ask for it, so . . . oh well. It was part of my 'setting the scene'.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

I mentioned Hoover and the cause but i did that near the end of my essay because I remembered half way through

By Me1 (Me1) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 05:54 pm: Edit

I had a sentence on Hoover while "setting the scene."

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

"TO APGUY: I tried following the link you gave me but it didn't work - "

I was joking about that site...hence the "gotcha."

By Haan (Haan) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 06:35 pm: Edit

I was happy with everything else on the AP US exam except the last essay due to time constraints. For the essay i chose number 4 with the effects of the Civil War in politically and economically shaping the north and the south. For the North I talked about Gilded Age Politics, the radical republicans shaping the politics of the time and then for economics I talked about how the North was moving towards big businesses(talked about the Sherman Anti-trust Act and teh ICC being inneffective for about the first decade) and talked about the corrupt gilded age presidents(mostly republican) increasing tariffs. For the South, however, it was not as detailed as the north paragraph because I was running out of time. For the South I talked about the effects of the Radical Republican Reconstruction on the South through the Military Reconstruction Act and the 14th amendment. I also talked about the fact that after Reconstruction, the south was able to go back to black codes and Jim Crow Laws to keep the African Americans in place - thus, most african americans turned to sharecropping and the inherent system of agriculture still remained. My North para was great, the South paragraph was not that great in comparison - my conclusion was nothing stellar either, just a synopsis of the essay.

Can anybody judge what i got? On both the lowest possible scale and the highest possible scale? Thanx

By Flippanda328 (Flippanda328) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

I think this grading scale is WAYYYYYYYY too generous. Does anyone know what the official scale is?

By Jcoach4 (Jcoach4) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Do you think writing about the anti-Communists feeling in the "Red Scares" for the 1920 vs. 1950 essay under race relations is wrong? The dictionary does define race as "Humans considered as a group" and "A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race". Also, is it bad if I just did all most of my essays with one body paragraph, but kept my thoughts together in a decent manner?

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

Easiest prompts I've seen in a while.

DBQ: Easy money on Great Depression; if you didn't cover this in-depth in your class, your teacher is terrible

2nd topic: Articles of confederation was a failiure...

4th topic: I broke it like this:
-Economics: North entered Gilded Age, South suffered still from Civil War
-Northern politics: Radical reconstruction to gilded age corruption/political machines
-Southern politics: End of radical recon. and return of Redeemer governments

Only hard MC was the "The personal is powerful" feminist one.

By Webhappy2 (Webhappy2) on Monday, May 12, 2003 - 11:31 pm: Edit

BTW, I say the prompt is easy esp. for the DBQ compared to some other ones.
The first year had a prompt about growth of democracy in a random town called Wethersfield (I'm pretty sure that's the first DBQ).

By Tweety620 (Tweety620) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

Will it hurt my DBQ grade a lot if I failed to mention Hoover and his administration in my DBQ? I can't remember if I did, so I am really worried i will get a bad grade now, HELP!

By Greenmoo04 (Greenmoo04) on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

I thought that you needed at least 58 on the Multiple Choice, which was 60% to get a THREE. That's what my teacher says, but he's an old geezer, so I don't know. lol. Let's see....I skipped three, and wasn't sure on about 17 questions, which assuming the worst, I got wrong. I rocked on the DBQ though, we did two essays about the New Deal. Basically, I wrote a lot about the topic, and added in the documents where they fit (1-thought New Deal was a good thing, 2-thought New Deal didn't helped). My overall thesis was that his policies didn't bring US out of Depression; WWII did. So hopefully, a 14/15 on that. Let's see....the transportation one sucked because I wrote too much about railroads and turns out that was AFTER Civil War. At least I mentioned Erie Canal though; i think i got a 6 on that. I wrote about the North and South with the Civil War, but I didn't write about AFTER the war. I DID mention the Jim Crow laws which was good, I hope. Mostly, I wrote that the North had better industries and in general was better off than the mostly agrarian South. So maybe a 5/6 on that one too. I'm so stupid though, I didn't write about the 1920 and 1950 comparison! Does anyone have a general idea of my grade? Thanks!

Omitted-3
Not Sure (assumed Wrong)- 17
Final MC score- 55.75 (at the WORST, i must have done better)
DBQ- 14/15
FR1- 6
FR2- 5/6

By Edp (Edp) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:57 pm: Edit

Depending on those 2 free responses, you might barely get a 5, but definitely a 4.

By Vaj (Vaj) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

I think you got a 5

By Pinkflamingo (Pinkflamingo) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

didn't anyone talk about keynes for the DBQ? I went off on Keynesian economics, I mean they even had his picture on that cartoon thing, you know when he morphed into that tree thing...

By Vaj (Vaj) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit

No, I didn't but Keynesian economics is a great detail that I'm sure will be well appreciated by the AP graders

By Pinkflamingo (Pinkflamingo) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

i hope so b/c i totally spaced on those ABC programs, even with the freakinn tree!

By Haan (Haan) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

Greenmoo - when u say 58 MC is that only 58 MC and not doing the essays? Cuz a 58 on the MC puts u well on ur way towards a 5. I'm getting nervous now about it - i think i most probably got a raw score in the high 50's with pretty good essays - thought i would get at least 4. Am I wrong based on what ur sayign?

By Greenmoo04 (Greenmoo04) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

No, no the 58 MC score is solely the MC score (after omitting and deducting the guessing penalty- I got 17 wrong and skipped 3), subtracted that from what I got right, which is 60 questions. Isn't that what a raw score is? I'm not sure. Thanks!

Wow....really? So it's not 60% correct overall to get a 3? Hm, I can correct that geezer now. haha

By Vaj (Vaj) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

yea 60% would be a 5

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page