AP PHSICS B Question!!!!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP PHSICS B Question!!!!!
By Rocket1406 (Rocket1406) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 03:24 pm: Edit

In my school, AP Physics B is taught like an independent study afterschool (once a week for one hour). I take Honors Physics everyday 1 to 2 periods (lab or not). Every week I feel like I have no clue whats going on in the AP Physics B class, and now its close to the exam (MONDAY is the exam)

QUESTION: If I read the Princeton Review book this weekend from start to finish (250 pages a day or so), will I understand AP Physics B enough to get a 3 on the exam? (In my Honors Physics class, my average is like a 98 ... I don't know if that means much)

Also, does anyone know if it's worth the time to store the MILLIONS of formulas in the TI-83 calculator because I heard they dont give u the formula sheet for Part 2.

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

I wouldnt advise cramming that much info into your brain in a few days! its better just to focus on a few topics you feel you need additional preparation in. About storing the equations...one it would take forever to put in the 200+ equations plus do you really want to waste that much time searching for them during the test? just stay calm and you should do fine if you have a 98 avg in honors physics.

good luck

By Useatoothbrush (Useatoothbrush) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 08:02 pm: Edit

The PR book SUCKS. Let me repeat: IT SUCKS. I don't think it teaches to you the topics that are relevant to the exam very well. I would advise that you restudy optics independently because that topic is butchered in the book and learn the actual reasons things happen and not just the mathematical descriptions of them. Be able to set up and describe an experiment on the free-response portion as well...I am so scared for Monday.

By Rocket1406 (Rocket1406) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 10:37 pm: Edit

lol ... I am so screwed for Physics B ... OH MAN! Would it be better for me to spend extra review time of the PR book or review time of my HONORS notes? Also how helpful are the AP Reference Tables?

By Rocket1406 (Rocket1406) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:10 am: Edit

anyone?

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 05:49 pm: Edit

there are a lot of equations that ull prbly need that arent on the test. PR DOESNT SUCK. it goes through everything that will be on the test extactly. the only prob. with it is that alot of the free resposne questions in it are much simpler than the ones on the test, i was planning on using that and previous ap exams to cram this weekend, got memorize those formulas neede for part 1

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

**there are a lot of equations that ull prbly need that arent on the test*** sorry meant on the formula sheet

By Rocket1406 (Rocket1406) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 07:05 am: Edit

Do they give you the reference tables for Part 1 and Part 2 or only Part 2. Also, WHERE CAN I GET previous AP EXAMS with ANSWERS????

By Rocket1406 (Rocket1406) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 08:34 pm: Edit

PLEASE!!!!

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

http://apcentral.collegeboard.com
then you have to register, name address that sort of thing, and then bam, you have access to tests from 2002 to 1998 (and not just for physics) i beleive complete w/ answers and sample student free responses. you get a sheet w/ constants for part 1 but you do not get the formula sheet for part 1. likewise no calculator on part 1.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 10:50 pm: Edit

just to clarify you have access to frq from 1998-2002, for the mc's they only have a pdf compilation of some, but its soemthing

By New (New) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 02:05 am: Edit

is fluid mechanics gonna be on the physics b exam?
should i cram it all in today?

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 08:29 pm: Edit

I think the PR book is great, I dunno wtf your tlaking about. Memorize it all and you have a easy 5.

By Stonedpanda (Stonedpanda) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

PR book and my teacher disagreed on something, and if PR book was wrong, then it is a sucky book. PR had a multiple choice review question where it had a three bulbs connected in parralel. If one bulb was to burn out, then what would happen to the other two? The PR book said that nothing would happen.

THAT EXACT SAME QUESTION (i think) WAS ON THE TEST MONDAY. My teacher told me afterwords that the bulbs get brighter, which is what I would have put HAD I NOT READ PRINSTON REVIEW.

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 01:25 am: Edit

I said they got brighter...

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 03:58 pm: Edit

PR also had the entire magnetic gun FR question, so I think it more than adequately evens out!

By Brd (Brd) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 04:26 pm: Edit

The remaining light bulbs should not change (appreciably).

Lightbulbs have a characteristic resistance. When you hook them up in parallel, these resistances add reciprocally, and the resulting resistance is less than a single light bulb (or than fewer bulbs in parallel). Assuming Ohmic behaviour [1], this means the entire collection will draw more current across a constant voltage drop. As it turns out (assuming for simplicity that all the bulbs have the same resistance R), the whole collection draws exactly N times as much current as a single bulb, where N is the number of bulbs in parallel [2]. If you one of the bulbs burns out you will now only get N-1 times the current draw, but now you also only have N-1 bulbs to light.

[1] The bulbs aren't really Ohmic -- the resistance of the filament depends on temperature -- but it's close enough for this.

[2] To see this just note: 1/R_tot = 1/R + 1/R + ... + 1/R = N/R. So R_tot = R/N. Across a constant voltage drop V these resistors (bulbs) in parallel will draw N times the current as a single one, since I_tot = V/R_tot = V/(R/N) = N*(V/R) = N*I where I=V/R is the current a single bulb alone would draw. Obviously adding many bulbs in parallel will drain a battery much more quickly! Also there is certainly a point when N is too large and this analysis breaks down, because the battery simply simply isn't capable of supplying enough current. Past that point, more bulbs will be dimmer. But for N=3 there should be no problem.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page