AP Scores for College Admissions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP Scores for College Admissions
By Chrisq (Chrisq) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 01:01 am: Edit

Despite all the claims I hear about AP scores counting only for placement and credit and not for admission consideration, I still feel some doubt about this. If AP scores are as unofficial and not required as most colleges' applications say they are, why are they even included on the application in the first place? I understand the value of taking AP classes in the eyes of college admissions, but that information is revealed on the transcript anyway. I wonder about this because I have and/or expect to: 1) make 5s on subjects for which I did not take the class, but instead studied independently, 2) make 5s on subjects for which I did take the class, and 3) make a low(ish) AP score on a subject for which I did take the class.

Certainly all this talk about AP scores not counting for admission is bunk. ?

By Apguy (Apguy) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

People here who say AP exams are not a factor in admissions are talking garbage. Ivy league admissions officers themselves have made a point to discuss not only how AP/IBs are a part of admissions but just how important they really are. You can read about this in "A is for Admission" written by a former Dartmouth officer. There is a whole chapter on it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page