ACT question for Quarky

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: ACT question for Quarky
By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 02:49 pm: Edit

In one of your comments on another thread, you attributed your score improvement to strategies that you devised. Please share!

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 03:30 pm: Edit

If they work for me, than that does not mean that they work for everyone else. Are you sure you want me to share

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

Yes positive!! If I don't think that they would work for me I won't use them. Please share.

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

OK.
1) On reading sections, I always go in order from easiest to hardest. For me, it is natural sciences -- social sciences, arts+lit, prose fiction.
2) I used to do that on the science sections, but in order to exceed the upper 20's, i stopped wasting time looking through the sections and just did all of them in order.
3) Forget the answer sheet and do all work in the booklet, circle the answers.
4) Use 1.9-mm pencil lead. I ordered special pencils from Russia.. they are actually German, but who cares. They are automatic pencils. I sharpen the lead so that the end is at about 30 degrees with the writing surface and is FLAT.
5) Use those pencils to draw a single line in each bubble, instead of wasting time filling up the entire bubble.
6) I also have some math strategies, but it would take too long to list them.
7) Reading -- I dont read ••••,. I mean, come on, I am Russian, so I gotta use some strategies. I grab a normal .5 mm pencil and trace each line as I SKIM. Then I know where certain info is located, read the question, go to tha paragraph and read the sentences that contain the answer. I have gradually learned how to find exact answers (my reading scores went up 18-26-30-30-34). Also make sure u take educated guesses when u have no idea. Try to eliminate incorrect answers.
8) Science -- i know sci very well, so I never read those boring time-wasting introductions. You only have 5 minutes for each of the 7 passages, so better hurry! So all I do is analyze the graphs/charts and answer the questions. Of course, I have to read those scientist-arguing passages, but they are much easier than those on the reading section of the ACT.

That's pretty much it... Just make sure u fill in those bubbles on the answer sheet once u r done answering all questions in a section in ur test booklet

By Montydsw11 (Montydsw11) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Quarky, I have been looking for such a pencil to use for the SATs. Can you post a link about where you found it? THANKS!

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

Quarky, I am Russian too- can you give me some more info about this pencil so that I can order it.

By Montydsw11 (Montydsw11) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 08:47 pm: Edit

bump...

By Quarky (Quarky) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

LOL. You guys are crazy. I ordered it from my grandma, who lives in Russia. I didn't order it on the net or anything. Right now, my friend has the pencils, but I should get em back tomorrow. All i can tell u is the brand of the pencils...

By Arthur (Arthur) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 08:52 pm: Edit

wtf? lol, it's just a pencil.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page