AP US History DBQ Predictions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP US History DBQ Predictions
By Mattcrowley (Mattcrowley) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:41 pm: Edit

Here is my prediction of this year's DBQ. Put up yours, and the winner gets....the satisfaction of being right.

I say...

1796-1808 Conflicts and Relations with French during the Adams and Jefferson Presidencies

(XYZ Affair, Lousiana Purchase, Trade relations before and after Battle of Trafalgar/Trade Blockades)

What are your predictions?

By Mattcrowley (Mattcrowley) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:54 pm: Edit

1920s
Nativism
Relying on a critical evaluation of the accompanying documents, analyze the factors that probably influenced Congress to pass the Immigration Act of 1924.

Crittenden Compromise
To what extent was President-elect Abraham Lincoln responsible for the defeat of the Crittenden proposal on the territorial expansion of slavery.

Spanish-American War
Analyze the factors that influenced the Senate in ratifying the Treaty of Paris in 1899 and assess their relative significance. Your analysis and assessment should take into account the complexities and/or contradictions presented by the evidence.

American Society in mid 18th century
Was American society, as evidence by Wethersfield, Connecticut, becoming more "democratic" in the period from 1750's to the 1780's? Discuss with reference to property distribution, social structure, politics, and religion.

Alien & Sedition Acts
The debate over the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 revealed bitter controversies on a number of issues. Discuss the issues involved and explain why these controversies developed.

Prohibition
In the twentieth century prohibition spread by states' passing local option laws, which permitted a unit of local government, such as a county, to prohibit the sale or consumption of alcoholic beverages. After an intensive campaign by the Anti-Saloon League and other prohibitionist organizations and reform groups, national prohibition was achieved by the ratification of the Eighteenth Amendment to the federal Constitution in 1919.

1865-1900
Laissez-faire Policies
To what extent and for what reasons did the policies of the federal government from 1865 to 1900 violate the principles of laissez-faire, which advocated minimal government intervention in the economy? Consider with specific reference to the following three areas of policy:railroad land grants, control of interstate commerce, and antitrust activities.

1830s
Indian Removal
"The Decision of the Jackson Administration to remove the Cherokee Indians to lands west of the Mississippi River in the 1830's was more a reformulation of the national policy that had been in effect since the 1790's than a change in that policy." Assess the validity of this generalization with reference to the moral, political, constitutional, and practical concerns that shaped national Indian policy between 1789 and the mid-1830's.

Women's Lives
How and why did the lives and status of Northern middle-class women change between 1776 and 1876?

John Brown's Raid
John Brown's raid on the federal armory at Harpers Ferry, Virginia, in October 1859, involved only a handful of abolitionists, freed no slaves, and was over in two days. Although many Northerners condemned the raid, by 1863 John Brown had become hero and martyr in the North. To what extent and in what ways do the views about John Brown expressed in the documents illustrate changing North-South relations between 1859 and 1863?

1880-1900
Farmers' Issues
Documents A-H reveal some of the problems that many farmers in the late nineteenth century (1880-1900) saw as threats to their way of life. Using the documents and your knowledge of the period, (a) explain the reasons for agrarian discontent and (b) evaluate the validity of the farmers' complaints.

1930s
Hoover and FDR
President Franklin D. Roosevelt is commonly thought of as a liberal and President Herbert C. Hoover as a conservative. To what extent are these characteristics valid?

1780s
Articles of Confederation
"From 1781 to 1789 the Articles of Confederation provided the United States with an effective government." Using the documents and your knowledge of the period, evaluate this statement.

1920s
Traditional vs. Modern Values
The 1920's were a period of tension between new and changing attitudes on the one hand and traditional values and nostalgia on the other. What led to the tension between old and new AND in what ways was the tension manifested?

1850s
The Constitution/Split Between N & S
"By the 1850's the Constitution, originally framed as an instrument of national unity, had become a source of sectional discord and tension and ultimately contributed to the failure of the union it had created." Using the documents and your knowledge of the period 1850-1861, assess the validity of this statement.

Hiroshima and the Soviet Union
The United States decision to drop an atomic bomb on Hiroshima was a diplomatic measure calculated to intimidate the Soviet Union in the post-Second-World-War era rather than a strictly military measure designed to force Japan's unconditional surrender. Evaluate this statement using the documents and your knowledge of the military and diplomatic history of the years 1939 through 1947.

1877-1915
Washington and DuBois
Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. DuBois offered different strategies for dealing with the problems of poverty and discrimination faced by Black Americans at the end of the nineteenth and beginning of the twentieth centuries. Using the documents and your knowledge of the period 1877-1915, assess the appropriateness of each of these strategies in the historical context in which each was developed.

1830s
Jacksonian Democracy
Jacksonian Democrats view themselves as the guardians of the United States Constitution, political democracy, individual liberty, and equality of economic opportunity. In light of the following documents and your knowledge of the 1820's and 830's, to what extent do you agree with Jacksonian's view of themselves.

1917-1921
Wilson & Versailles
It was the strength of the opposition forces, both liberal and conservative, rather that the ineptitude and stubbornness of President Wilson that led to the Senate defeat of the Treaty of Versailles. using the documents and your knowledge of the period 1917-1921, assess the validity of this statement.

1870s
Trans-Mississippi West
To what extent did the natural environment shape the development of the West beyond the Mississippi and the lives of those who lived and settled there? How important were other factors?

Colonial Life NE and Chesapeake regs
Although New England and the Chesapeake region were both settled largely by people of English origin, by 1700 the regions had evolved into two distinct societies. Why did this difference in development occur?

1890-1914
Expansionism and Imperialism
To what extent was late nineteenth-century and early twentieth century United States expansionism a continuation of past United States expansionism and to what extent was it a departure? use the documents and your knowledge of United States history to 1914 to construct your answer.

1960s
Civil Rights
Analyze the changes that occurred during the 1960's in the goals, strategies, and support of the movement for African American civil rights

1870s
Constitutional and Social Development
In what ways and to what extent did constitutional and social development between 1860 and 1877 amount to a revolution?

1890-1925
Women's Rights
To what extent did economic and political developments as well as assumptions about the nature of women affect the position of American women during the period 1890-1925?

1800s
Jeffersonians & Strict Constructionism
With respect to the federal Constitution, the Jeffersonian Republicans are usually characterized as strict constructionists who were opposed to the broad constructionism of the Federalists. To what extent was this characterization of the two parties accurate during the presidencies of Jefferson and Madison?

1760-1779
Pre-Revolutionary Identity
To what extent had the colonists developed a sense of their identity and unity as Americans by the eve of the Revolution?

1875-1925

1920-1970

1810-1860

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

matt where did u get this from?

By Mattcrowley (Mattcrowley) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

http://www.polytechnic.org/faculty/gfeldmeth/pastdbq.html

By Turbofan15 (Turbofan15) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

thats insanity...no one could possibly learn all that, especially me. i had confidence but i now know that im screwed lol. btw what was the battle of trafalgar?

By Mattcrowley (Mattcrowley) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

battle of trafalgar was a sea battle between brit + fr where brit clamed a clear naval dominance in the napoleonic wars

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:20 pm: Edit

If had to do a DBQ for any of those, I would bomb it completely

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 03:39 am: Edit

great post

By Eurostar (Eurostar) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 05:46 pm: Edit

Hehe.. DBQ is code word for B.S... All you have to do is derive meaning from the documents...It's not something you really STUDY for, it's just a skill that you learn in the course (or, like me, actually during the exam)

By Mreeves (Mreeves) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 08:34 pm: Edit

I say that the DBQ is going to be something on the causes of the Civil War (hopefully!) because they haven't had one about that for a while . . . Or the 1920s . . . they love social history and that would be perfect.

How likely would a DBQ on the progressive era be?

By Mattcrowley (Mattcrowley) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 11:46 pm: Edit

The time period of the progressive era (c. 1890-1914) was done already recently, so not that likely, but it could happen.

By Caramelapple (Caramelapple) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 02:31 am: Edit

I totally agree with Eurostar. Even if you aren't familiar with the period, you can fake it by looking at the docs. I find the free response harder because it's all you and what you know- no help, sink or swim.
Seriously, don't stress about the DBQ. It's not worth it.

By Tenniscassieo (Tenniscassieo) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 06:57 am: Edit

how long should the dbq and essays be??

like 2 pages for the dbq?
1 for the essays???

By Tenniscassieo (Tenniscassieo) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 06:57 am: Edit

the freaking BUMP

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

1920s !!!

Harlem Renaissance et al

By Magd (Magd) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 11:04 pm: Edit

I think the DBQ will be on some aspect of colonial history.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 06:01 pm: Edit

sorry to tell you this guys, but if you cant bring outside information (aka facts that you DIDNT get from the docs) into your essay, dont expect more than a 3, or 4 if your lucky.
looks like noone was right.
my freind told me depression 10 minutes b4 the test started, seh said she prophesised it! altho it freaked me out, and i almost screamed when i saw the topic, the dbq wasnt that hard

By Qwerasdf (Qwerasdf) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Told you it would be New Deal. All my teachers guessed it. Haha, dang our school is leet. EVERYONE in our room was like HELL YEA!!!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page