AP Eng Lang Test Scoring

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP Eng Lang Test Scoring
By Danser39 (Danser39) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

Does anyone know how the scoring works? I know the multiple choice counts for 45% and the essays are 55%, but how do they calculate the scores on each part? I've heard something about an "adjusted score" for the multiple choice; does anyone know how that works? Once they add up all the points from the multiple choice and the essays, how do they convert that into the final score? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

By Danser39 (Danser39) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

bump...

By Chen (Chen) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:37 pm: Edit

I would scan in what it says in my prep book, but it takes too much time. You get a raw score and then they multiply it by a number. I'm notr eally quite sure if it's the same every year since it seems like an odd number. Anyway, out of a raw score of 55, if you have a raw score of 45, you need a total raw score of 15 on the essays to get a 4 (like right on the margin between a 3 and a 4). That's what I calculated to see what I have to strive to get.

By Erika (Erika) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Typically, AP tests in general have 150 points possible. To get a 5, I think you have to get 100.

First of all, the multiple choice is the number you get right - (.025 * number wrong), just like the SAT.

Then, each essay score is multipled by 3.055 and added together.

They add your raw multiple choice score to your weighted essay score to get your points on the scale of 150.

The way the test is curved is that sometimes you will need to get more than 100 or less than 100, depending on the year and test, to receive a 5. The curve is mostly the same though.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works...if I'm wrong then by all means, correct me.

By Danser39 (Danser39) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:20 pm: Edit

Thank you very much everyone.
I've been looking at the college board website and I found some info about how they calculate composite scores (http://www.collegeboard.com/ap/pdf/aptechman_englang_3xbp.pdf) but I'm having trouble finding out what composite score ranges correspond to what final grade...if anyone finds any info on this please let me know. Thanks again!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page