QUESTION ABOUT AP BIO

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: QUESTION ABOUT AP BIO
By Akaflex (Akaflex) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 02:39 pm: Edit

IS IT NECESSARY TO HAVE TAKEN CHEMISTRY BEFORE TAKING AP BIO? AND IF SO WHY?

By Studiousvegetar (Studiousvegetar) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 03:04 pm: Edit

At my school, they say you have to. There is some bio-chemistry involved. For example, the structures of different molecules are made up of different elements and compounds. I took chem. last year and I'm in AP bio right now.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 03:10 pm: Edit

bump

By Heythere (Heythere) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 04:44 pm: Edit

I say not really but it is a prerequisite

By Sike (Sike) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:46 pm: Edit

I am took AP Bio, and having taken Chem before, I would say absolutely not. Its really no help--the chemical concepts main involves these: you need to know a few basics reactions types; you need to know the geenral structures of numberous proteins, lipids, carbohydrates and fundamental components; you need to know how ionic and covalent bonding work and how energy is involved. That's about it.

PS: My school doesn't require a chem prequisite and its never been a concern.

By Lick_My_Beanbag (Lick_My_Beanbag) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

Look, if you understand the basic concepts of chemistry you should have no problem. I took Chem at a JC and aced AP Biology, basically it's only one or two chapters out of Biology [Campbell Reece] which is pretty easy to understand. Just talk to the teacher and have him reccomend you. But yes, understanding of chemistry is fundamental to your understanding of Biology.

By Tbone (Tbone) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:15 pm: Edit

Chemistry is 7% of the AP Bio test, so I think a solid understanding should be beneficial, but certainly not necessary.

By Pierrecurie (Pierrecurie) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

If I have taken ap chem the year before, then I'm guranteed a 5 then, right? I'm hoping next year will be a breeze...

By Akaflex (Akaflex) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Thanks a lot guys

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page