Bio 11 : when to take it and other questions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Bio 11 : when to take it and other questions
By Momster (Momster) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:58 am: Edit

My daughter's bio course did not cover many of the areas on the bio 11 test. She is a freshman.
Some classmates are taking the June test nonetheless. She thinks it best to wait until after AP bio (she thinks she will qualify) in her Jr yr. I think she should get some of these SAT11s over with asap.
Any advice? Will books/courses make-up for inadequate class? Which are good? Also, do you have an option not to have them sent if the results are poor? If not, is it advisable to retake them? Thanks so much!

By Apguy (Apguy) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Would I be right to assume you mean the Biology SAT II subject test? Taking it in June when the "material is fresh in your mind" seems to be the concensus in terms of when you have to take the test. I would recommend her taking it in June and studying with an SAT II prep book (Kaplan is good) along with her school course.

You HAVE to send all your scores out now good or bad. Something known as "score choice" allowed you to withold your score but Collegeboard got rid of that in 10/2002. Retaking SAT IIs is not as common as retaking the SAT 1 but if she feels she can do much better---then it is worth it.

Also, don't rush her to get the SAT IIs over "ASAP". Tests such as the writing SAT II which most top colleges REQUIRE should be taken in your junior/senior year. The reason for this being that your skills in a subject like writing will gradually progress throughout the years and your courses in school build upon it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page