5/3 Math IIc scoring scale. I think I'm screwed.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: 5/3 Math IIc scoring scale. I think I'm screwed.
By J_Shen (J_Shen) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 01:18 am: Edit

Hey, I'm a first-time poster, so hey to all.

Foolishly, I decided to "challenge" myself and take the Math IIc on saturday, even though I am right-brained and haven't finished my precal course this year. I'm planning to do a lib arts major in preparing for pre-med. I omitted about 10 questions stupidly, as I spent about 6 minutes on the last question by typing random digits into my calculator... this sounds worse and worse the more i explain. However, I didn't guess at any of the questions I didn't omit but worked them out. Thus, I'm thinking, I will get around a 35-40 out of the 50. Is there any chance in hell that I'll break 600?
I'm planning to retake IIc anyway, but I would like to know if I should cancel my scores, as I listed four ivy-caliber schools for sending scores. I also took Writing and Bio/M, and I think I'm in 700s on both. Would it be worth it to call in by Wednesday and cancel/edit the status on the collegboard.com website and just send the scores to no one?
My Jan. SAT I scores were very solid. I stupidly took the good math score to mean I could do IIc w/o any real prep. I think this is a good case of testing hubris, if there is such a thing. For anyone on these boards who may be lib arts slanted, I suggest, for the love of g-d, to avoid Math IIc unless copious prep is undertaken, with full knowledge of the risks. Ugh...migraine migraine migraine. But seriously, thanks for any advice on this matter.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 01:28 am: Edit

The curve is VERY nice on the IIc, if you get 35 out of 50 you should be in the 700 range.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 01:39 am: Edit

math IIC is much harder than the SAT I math, even math IC is harder than the SAT I math. anyway, as andrew said the curve is very nice, and you definately got over 600, probabally around 670-700. it would not be worth it to cancel all scores especially when you did so well on writing and bio

By J_Shen (J_Shen) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 01:54 am: Edit

Thanks for the reassurement Andrew and Lateralus (i'm presuming a fellow tool fan, woohoo). This is good news.
Maybe I can start thinking about my Eng AP due to start 7 hrs from now. oh wait, it's starting 7 hrs from now. g'night and thanks.

By Twsmhs (Twsmhs) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:23 pm: Edit

I took the math iic the previous saturday, along with physics and writing. I think I did really well in physics ans writing, but I contracted a very disturbing migraine during the math iic.

I left about 15 questions blank, although I usually do really well on the practice tests. However, I still don't think I'm ready to retake it.

What is your advice?

By Dxiw (Dxiw) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

you have 700+ for sure, my friend left last 6 blank and got 800. I got 800 and missed 2. If you miss 10-15 your still in low 700 range or high 600 at worst. No worries man, 1c tho you'd be in 500's now :)

By Chen (Chen) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

The curve on Ic is SO much better.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

Chen, the Ic has a curve where if you get one wrong, you don't (to my knowledge) get an 800, while the IIc has a curve where you can get 4-6 wrong and still possibly get an 800.

By Pierrecurie (Pierrecurie) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 09:26 pm: Edit

I took the math IIc last year. I didn't do 8 of the 50 questions and got an 800. It pissed me off. I had 10 more questions and some 20 or something minutes. When I finished the next two, I had only about 10 seconds to finish the rest. I thought that I would get my butt screwed, but I was wrong.

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

I took IIc on may 3, I omitted two, and i know I got one wrong after going over it with people who also took the test. Hopefully I didnt miss more than two more. I doubt I did.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page