AP English Literature

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP English Literature
By Bakery (Bakery) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 02:53 pm: Edit

post your thoughts here alll those that took it.

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

I thought it was pretty easy.

By Staticallergic (Staticallergic) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

yeah, pretty straight forward test. do you guys know what the skinny is on analyzing the lit? b/c i took AP language this year, and opted to take lit on my own. i was in language mindset and analyzed all the passages in terms of diction, syntax, etc . . . . i mean, diction is at the root of tone, right? do you think that'll go over okay or get me a low score?

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:54 pm: Edit

That's fine. AP lit focuses more on theme while AP lang. focuses more on rhetorical devices.

By Staticallergic (Staticallergic) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:08 pm: Edit

yeah, i'm worried that diction, syntax, etc are going to be classified under rhetoric, though. i mean, i'm sure i implicity addressed theme and tone and all the rest of it, but certainly didn't model my thesis around it. but you think that's okay?

By Jenniferpa (Jenniferpa) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:15 pm: Edit

"That's fine. AP lit focuses more on theme while AP lang. focuses more on rhetorical devices."

So, of course, it's really irritating that my daughter's AP Language teacher has spent the last year talking about themes, and only mentioned the word diction (and other rhetorical devices) for the first time 2 weeks ago! Oh well, she's only taking AP lang. because it's a pre-requisite at her school for AP Lit.

By Themoose07 (Themoose07) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:17 pm: Edit

I thought it was easy enough, but I only wrote two of the essays, I was trying to conserve for the French Lit I took in the afternoon. I expect a 2 or 3.

Now the French lit is a different story.

By Bakery (Bakery) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:12 pm: Edit

i wrote about Catch-22 for my free response, which one did u guys choose? (plz dont tell me frankenstein that's what i've heard from everyone so far!!)

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

I HAD to use Hamlet. I read MacBeth and Antigone in previous years, but couldn't remember enough.

By Berwd (Berwd) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

hey you guys, what was the answer to the owl question on the multiple choice eng ap?

what sound does the cue-owl make? it's spose to rhyme with its name.

is it FEW or SCOWL?

put 'few' but others put some weird stuff

By X41x (X41x) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 04:48 pm: Edit

i put "few" too...that was one weird question

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

lol I bet it's "few," which is what I put. If you use "owl" to find a rhyme then all owls would "scowl"

By Vballcourt (Vballcourt) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 06:40 pm: Edit

I wrote about Heart of Darkness, but everyone else I knew wrote about Hamlet

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

Hmm...interesting choice on HOD. Did you use Kurtz as the tragic figure?

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

What's also interesting is that Hamlet was left off the list of suggested works to use. Although that list is just an suggestion, you don't usually forget about the most written about play ever produced...unless you didn't think it was that appropriate.

By Vballcourt (Vballcourt) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Yeah Kurtz, the horror, the lack or restraint, what ever I could think of. I didn't really like the topic, and now that I think about it I should have added something about the cannibals. Damn. Oh well. I wish that wasn't the topic. I had four different books planned out that I thought would fit under any cateragory I could think of. Except that one. I had just read it so that's the first thing I thought of.

By Nocalguy (Nocalguy) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

I actually like that. When most people think of tragic heros, they go straight for the plays. But if you are a good writer, I think you can spin it into an excellent essay.

By Cagal (Cagal) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 02:28 am: Edit

I thought the AP English Lit test was a lot harder than last years AP English lang. I wrote about Crime and Punishment for the essay... I was almost going to write on Things Fall Apart, which would have worked out very nicely, as well... o well...and about the owl, i put 'few' bc they said its a 'cue-owl' hence cue rhymes with 'few.' Dumb question though. lol

By Jk9903 (Jk9903) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

Yeah, some of the MC were hard, and some others weren't. Ah well. So many books we read fell under the question (Lear, Heart of Darkness, Oedipus, Death of a Salesman, etc.). I picked Long Day's Journey into Night.

By Me1 (Me1) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

In my school the teacher was goinkg around the classroom after the exam asking everyone what book they used for the essay. Most people said Hamlet. Then someone mumbles something. The teacher asks them to speak up. They continue to mumble. Finally they say, "I made up a book." Wonder whether the readers will bother to verify it or what.

By Dazedhyacinth (Dazedhyacinth) on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 08:17 pm: Edit

At my school, I would say 90 percent of people used The Sound and the Fury and wrote about Quentin.

By Munchymnm (Munchymnm) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

Most people at my school used Hamlet or Crime and Punishment. My essay was bad because I totally manipulated it in a bad attempt to use Demian. I wonder if it even applies!

Can anybody give a definition of what it is to be a tragic figure?

By Leia (Leia) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:44 am: Edit

I used Crime and Punishment because it was the last thing i read. When i was about halfway through my second paragraph, it struck me that Madame Bovary would have provided for the perfect essay. But alas, they make you write the darned thing in pen.

I hate writing in pen!! {sg}

And Munchymnm, i assume a tragic figure differs only slightly from a tragic hero in that he does not necessarily have to die at the end. But that's just my ruminations at 3am.

~Leia

I don't know why you say goodbye, i say hello.

By Staticallergic (Staticallergic) on Sunday, May 11, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

i used the great gatsby and have been getting into little tifts with my friend over it (she used hamlet) . . . she insists there is nothing tragic about the novel but i disagree. sure, it may not be packed full of provocative monologues or anything, but the whole american dream and nick struggling with authenticity and having gatsby die on him . . . that seems tragic to me. i hope they allow some figurative interp.

By Leia (Leia) on Thursday, May 29, 2003 - 01:51 am: Edit

I don't know, i think you've got a one-up on your friend there, staticallergic. Isn't it an unspoken law to never, ever write your essay about Hamlet? {sg}

By Entropy (Entropy) on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

I used All Things Fall Apart for the very last essay question. I don't think I did too good on the MC though.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page