AP scores and admissions

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP scores and admissions
By Bfgb4teese (Bfgb4teese) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

How much weight do colleges (preferably Ivy League Colleges) put on AP scores? I am a junior, and I will be taking 4 AP tests (Chemistry, English Language, Statistics and US history). I am worried that I will not do too well on Statistics, and I am obviously unsure (but more confident) of what my other scores will be. Doesi t look bad to the colleges if I get a 3? Even a 4? I am unaware of the process.

By Qu1kslvr (Qu1kslvr) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Im not sure how heavily they use them.

Most of the applications I have in front of me right now say "Reporting of AP scores is unofficial and not required."

By Bkwrm98 (Bkwrm98) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

It depends on the college. A lot of Ivy Leagues either only take a 4 or 5, or don't take them at all, but you can always try to skip out of a core class at college.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:18 pm: Edit

I am wondering too. Not about skipping them but how they help admissions.

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

I think they're mainly used for placement, as far as admissions goes I don't think they're really used heavily, mainly because they're not required, lots of students' schools dont offer them. They want to see that you're taking the AP Courses and making A's in them though, and seeing that you're taking the most rigorous curriculum possible while still maintaining a high gpa, but as far as the ap scores themselves go, they're not used very much in admissions, if you did well, at least 4's then I would send them as extra stuff, but if you dont do so hot, then I would just not send them.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page