AP Scores for Admission

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP Scores for Admission
By Bfgb4teese (Bfgb4teese) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

How much weight do colleges (preferably Ivy League Colleges) put on AP scores? I am a junior, and I will be taking 4 AP tests (Chemistry, English Language, Statistics and US history). I am worried that I will not do too well on Statistics, and I am obviously unsure (but more confident) of what my other scores will be. Doesi t look bad to the colleges if I get a 3? Even a 4? I am unaware of the process.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:58 pm: Edit

From what my teacher says, who is pretty experienced with colleges and such, school put ABSOULTELY NO WEIGHT on AP EXAM SCORES. SCORES ARE USED SOLELY FOR PLACEMENT & CREDIT. Shocked me too. But think about it, have you ever seen in those college books a statement of any college saying "we look at SAT scores, class rank, GPA, class schedule, essays, EC's, and AP EXAM SCORES." nope becuase they don't use exam scores as criteria

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 05:06 pm: Edit

they want to see that you took all the ap courses and the most rigorous curriculum at your school, and that you got a's in your classes, but the actual ap score itself is used for placement, not admissions, sat II's subject tests are usually used for admissions for a standardized test in a particular subject

By Apguy (Apguy) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 05:17 pm: Edit

""we look at SAT scores, class rank, GPA, class schedule, essays, EC's, and AP EXAM SCORES." nope becuase they don't use exam scores as criteria "

That is because they are not required, thus do not bother telling kids to send it. Also, many people can't take AP classes till their senior year and many schools don't offer AP at all so they can't penalize so many students for that.

AP scores will outweight low SAT II scores in a subject in a similar area. Read "A is for Admission" or "The Truth about Getting In" to hear what ACTUAL admissions officers say about AP scores. A is for Admission has an entire chapter outlining it.

By Diconoclastx (Diconoclastx) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Sadly my 7 APs this year won't do much for college admission. Bleh.

By Diconoclastx (Diconoclastx) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

I would figure top schools would look at how many 5s on APs since everyone gets 800 on SAT IIs.

By Diconoclastx (Diconoclastx) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:57 pm: Edit

On MITs app they have AP scores right under SATs and IIs so they do use them to judge you.

By Graffito1046 (Graffito1046) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:27 am: Edit

7 APs Diconoclastx? Wow, which ones? how much homework do you get?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page