AP English Language-Any Strategies

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP English Language-Any Strategies
By Me1 (Me1) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Anyone know approximately what mc scores you need for a 5 & for a 4 (assuming your essay scores are compatible)?

By Me1 (Me1) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Sorry I mean comprable not compatible.

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:27 pm: Edit

ya and i just want a three which is passing how many can i miss on the multiple choice test and get average scores on the essays to get a three? is it hard to get a 3?

By Urattorney (Urattorney) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

you can miss about a half of them and get avg score s on essays and pass

By Lwithay (Lwithay) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

I did a practice MC test in the "5 Steps to a 5" AP Eng. Prep book, and I missed about 25% of the MC, and it told me that I could get a 5 if I got an average of 6 (out of 9) on the essays.

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

is ap language this thursday?

By Dori (Dori) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 12:15 am: Edit

tuesday at 8 am

By Aj61498 (Aj61498) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 04:20 am: Edit

You can get half wrong on mc and average of 5's to get a 3

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

so if i get half of the multiple choice all i need on the essays is a 5 on each one? is getting a 5 hard? does anyone have like a scoring guide? if thats true...then i have hope of passing cause i took a practice mc and got only 12 wrong and im not a very good essay writer...my teacher says im too generic? will generic still get me average score of 5 on essays?

By Callmecollege (Callmecollege) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:26 pm: Edit

besides the obvious one's (such as parallelism, metaphor, simile, personification, antithesis) what are some other frequently tested, or in your opinion, necessary rhetorical terms to know?

By Shilpa1125 (Shilpa1125) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:58 pm: Edit

My goal is a 5. We took the hardest AP test my teacher's ever seen, and I missed 12, and when taking an average one, I missed 4, so I'm hoping to only miss about 4-8 on the real one (just hoping it's not too difficult) for the MCs. What would I need to average on the essays in order to make a 5? I used to get really high essay scores, but recently, I don't know why, but my grades have gone down so I'm kind of worried.

By Rowan (Rowan) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Vocabulary suggested by Collegeboard.com:

syntax, tone, rhetoric, attitude, antecedent, denouement, exposition, climax, atmosphere, voice, speaker, stock character, thesis, ideology, persuasion, paradox, allusion, ambivalence, syllogism, aphorism.

Syntax: the way in which words, phrases, and sentences are ordered and connected.

Tone: refers to the author's attitude toward the subject, and often sets the mood of the piece.

Rhetoric: speech or writing which is intended to be effective and persuasive

Attitude: the author's feelings toward the topic he or she is writing about; often used interchangeably with "tone," usually revealed through word choice

Antecedent: the word or phrase to which a pronoun refers; often precedes a pronoun in prose (but not necessarily poetry)

Dénouement: the outcome or clarification at the end of a story or play; the winding down from climax to ending

Exposition: a clear and full explanation of an idea or theory; typically just the "describing" bit in prose

Climax: the most important or exciting point in a story or situation, which usually happens nearing the end

Atmosphere: the character or feeling or mood of a place or situation (generally positive -- not sure about this)

Voice: an important quality or opinion which someone expresses, or the person who is able to express it

Speaker: the one with the voice ;)

Stock character: a stereotypical character (similar to conventional character and flat character)

Thesis: the main idea, opinion or theory of a person, group, piece of writing or speech; when you're writing, people, this is THE one-sentence summary of what your entire essay is about!

Ideology: a theory, or set of beliefs or principles, especially one on which a political system, party or organization is based

Persuasion: (persuade) to make someone do or believe something by giving them a good reason to do it or by talking to them and making them believe it

Paradox: a statement or situation that at first seems impossible or oxymoronic, but which solves itself and reveals meaning

Allusion: a reference in literature or in art to previous literature, history, mythology, pop culture/current events, or the Bible

Ambivalence: two opposing feelings at the same time (in this type of language, I would go so far as to assume it's almost like a juxtaposition, but limited to a particular perspective -- someone want to clarify?)

Syllogism: a process of logic in which two general statements lead to a more particular statement (or, as my teacher likes to say, "big to small" -- broad ideas, gradually specified to a certain idea)

Aphorism: a terse statement that expresses a general truth or moral principle; sometimes considered a folk proverb (my teacher calls them "bumper sticker phrase" -- Ben Franklin was king at this in Poor Richard's Almanac)

Other terms that my teacher thinks are important:

Apostrophe: a rhetorical device in which a speaker addresses an absent person, an abstraction or an inanimate object

Synecdoche: a figure of speech in which a part is used for the whole (such as "all hands on deck" where the hands is a part of the sailor being called for, or "Those are some hot wheels" where wheels are used to refer to a car)

Satire: irony, sarcasm or caustic wit

Parody: imitates the characteristics and style of an author or work for comic effect or ridicule

Diatribe: a bitter, abusive denunciation

Maudlin: tearful sentimentality

Metonymy: a figure of speech in which one word or phrase is substituted for another with which it is closely associated (like the "White House" being used to refer to the government, or "crown" refering, again, to government; the differece between metonymy and synecdoche is in scope: synecdoche shares something real and specific with that which it relates to, while metonymy doesn't; metonymy also usually refers to abstract ideas rather than concrete ones)

Paen: a song of joyful praise

Obloquy: the condition of disgrace suffered as a result of villification or ill repute

Red herring: misleading information, often used in mysteries as extra information (Agatha Christie was good at this!)

Anaphora: the deliberate repetition of a word or phrase at the beginning of several successive verses, clauses, or paragraphs

Hope this helped some!

By Doofus (Doofus) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

Yes, it helped a great deal!! It's nice to have all the words and defs right here for review. I really want to make a 4 or 5 on this and it doesnt seem that hard. Is it true one can get 75% and average 6 on essays get a 5??

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:33 pm: Edit

how do u know the essays are out of 9? and is it true i can miss half the multiple choice and do about average on the essays?

By Rowan (Rowan) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

I don't know what it takes to get a 5, but I know that it makes perfect sense to get an average score (60% of the MC points, for example) and average essay ranks (5s) and still get a 3. HOWEVER! The test is graded on a curve that's made for this test in specific. There is no possible way to accurately predict how many right answers it would take to get any score, though I'm sure you could get close.

Essays are out of 9 points. It's a widely published rubric. I thank the stars my teacher was thoughtful and has us writing applicable timed essays the entire year. Definitely helps to prepare you.

By Rowan (Rowan) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Also, here's a copy of the rubric my essays were graded on:

OVERALL IMPRESSION:
8-9: Demonstrates excellent control of the literature and outstanding writing competence; thorough and effective; incisive
6-7: Demonstrates good control of the literature and good writing competence; less thorough and incisive than highest papers
5: Reveals simplistic thinking and/or immature writing; adequate skills
3-4: Incomplete thinking; fails to respond adequately to part or parts of the question; may paraphrase rather than analyse
1-2: Unacceptably brief; fails to respond to the question; little clarity
0: Lacking skill and competence

UNDERSTANDING OF THE TEXT
8-9: Excellent understanding of the text; exhibits perception and clarity; original or unique approach; includes apt and specific references
6-7: Good understanding of the text; exhibits perception and clarity; includes specific references
5: Superficial understanding of the text; elements of literature vague, mechanical overgeneralized
3-4: Misreadings and lack of persuasive evidence from the text; meager and unconvincing treatment of the literary elements
1-2: Serious misreadings and little supporting evidence from the text; erroneous treatment of the literary elements
0: A response with no more than a reference to the literature; blank response, or one completely off the topic

ORGANIZATION AND DEVELOPMENT
8-9: Meticulously organized and thoroughly developed; coherant and unified
6-7: Well organized and developed; coherant and unified
5: Reasonably organized and developed; mostly coherant and unified
3-4: Somewhat organized and developed; some incoherance and lack of unity
1-2: Little or no organization and development; incoherant and void of unity
0: No apparent organization or development; incoherant

USE OF SENTENCES
8-9: Effectively varied and engaging; virtually error free
6-7: Varied and interesting; a few errors
5: Adequately varied; some errors
3-4: Someqhate varied and marginally interesting; one or more major errors
1-2: Little or no variation; dull and uninteresting; some major errors
0: Numerous major errors

WORD CHOICE
8-9: INteresting and effective; virtually error free
6-7: Generally interesting and effective; a few errors
5: Occasionally interesting and effective; several errors
3-4: Somewhat dull and ordinary; some errors in diction
1-2: Mostly dull and conventional; numerous errors
0: Numerous major errors; extremely immature

GRAMMAR AND USAGE
8-9: Virtually error free
6-7: Occasional minor errors
5: Several minor errors
3-4: Some major errors
1-2: Severely flawed; frequent major errors
0: Extremely flawed

A few things to keep in mind. The most important things are to keep things organized and well structured (THESIS!) and ANALYZE your data! Not just x=y, but what effect x=y makes on the writing piece. And such.

Good luck to everyone! :)

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:14 pm: Edit

okay so say i only 35 points on my mc what do i need on my essays then?

By Hitu (Hitu) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

abt a 6

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:23 pm: Edit

Hello, Does anyone have the Cliff Notes Ap Lang book? I just completed essay #2 for Practice Test 2, and need insights on my essay. I will be posting soon, please help! Thank you

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Write a welldeveloped essay analyzing the author's purpose by exmaining tone, point of view and stylistic devices.

----William Hazlitt’s Lecture on the English Comic Writers uses a rhetoric strategy of compare and contrast to distinguish between succinct qualities of weeping and laughter. Hazlitt feels there are circumstances to why humans are provokd to resort to such measures. Because of his point-to-point basis of the compare and contrast method, a certain tone, point of view as well as syntax develops.
----The tone of the excerpt is quite perplexing. Hazlitt, to a certain degree has a pedantic attitude. For example, he discusses the relevancy of uncontrollable tears due to a “shock,” but once “the very rejection of these false claims” is apparent, laughter can result. Humans can revert to crying and laughter, like the directions of a compass can spin continuously. In addition, because of the use of a point-to-point comparison and contrast, it develops into a more subtle article with constant inversions.
----Hazlitt offers an interesting point of view, depicting laughter as a “tragedy” and tears as a “comedy.” A conceit is obvious with further references and relations yo each of th human qualities. The idea of tear sheds is being linked with “crimes,” “misfortunes,” and “shock” while laughter is analogized with “the follies and absurdities that men commit.” The conceits serve to show the author’s purpose in revealing causes of committing injustices successfully and perhaps committing the same injustices with a fallacy. The unsuccessfulness of a crime can lead to unsusceptible laughter because of the foolish element coming into play.
----The flow of thought in Hazlitt’s work shows great commitment to fulfill the interests of his audience. He uses distinct syntax to portray his views. Long, continuous sentences are relevant throughout the passage, letting the reader acknowledge and grasp Hazlitt’s meaning and relate to it. The use of dashes, colons and excessive commas show an informality voice from the speaker.
----It is compelling to analyze such simplistic sentiments of human life to a great degree. With Hazlitt’s work, the audience is engaged with emotions to either relate to his reasoning or perhaps find it faulty. Either way, Hazlitt will surely at least make one think before crying, as perhaps he or she should be laughing.

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

cooljay is this going to be on the exam?

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:43 pm: Edit

This is a sample essay; can you give me insights. Rate from 0-9 perhaps too? This is from Cliff Notes, test 2, #2.

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:48 pm: Edit

i really like it i think you do a very good job with your concrete detail, your first two paragraphs are the strongest dont get me wrong i like the syntax paragraph also but it is hard to write syntax-well that i have the most trouble with. overall i would give you a 8-7

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:53 pm: Edit

thanks, curiosity --- do you have the cliff notes book? or the 5 step to a 5 book?

By Nealyac (Nealyac) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:56 pm: Edit

nope

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:58 pm: Edit

also nealyax since you are online now, email me at cooljay687@aol.com your AIM or whatever screenname, we can chat about exam before i sleep soon! good luck :)

By Danser39 (Danser39) on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Does anyone know what the composite score ranges are for each score? I found out the formula they use to calculate your composite score:
((# of multiple choice right - .25 * number wrong) * 1.25) + (1.0556 * essay #1) + (1.0556 * essay #2) + (1.0556 * essay #3) = composite score, out of a total of 150
Does anyone know what composite score would be needed for a 5, 4, 3, etc?

By Booboo2 (Booboo2) on Wednesday, May 21, 2003 - 01:02 am: Edit

has anyone who's taken ap eng lang exam gotten a 5?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page