3x+6y=13, sx-6y=15? D?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: 3x+6y=13, sx-6y=15? D?
By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

remember that one inthe quant comp? i remember two equations with 6y cancelling out, but i think that was ina different section. in quant comp i rememer two equations that were ambiguous and unable to be dteremined (maybe like a third variable, i think?). please someone clarify this im frustrated

By Qu1kslvr (Qu1kslvr) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:12 pm: Edit

in my calculator matrices I have this equation:

2x+6y=7
5x-6y=3

in that equation x > y
x= 10/7
y= 29/42

im not sure if this was from the qc section or not?

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

i know for sure i did one of those "add two equations" equations, and it DID contain 6y and -6y. But that one was later on in the test. There was aother similar one, that im not sure if it had 6y -6y, that could not be determined in the quantitative comparison section. it was like the fourth one. Anyone remember the specifics of that question, cause I was so sure it was D.cant be determined.

By Qu1kslvr (Qu1kslvr) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

UPDATE: that equation that I gave where x= 10/7 was comparing x and 1, not x and y.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:47 pm: Edit

Yes, I remember another question with an answer of D with equations. I think it was 2 equations being equal to each other, but I don't remember much else from it.

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:47 pm: Edit

PLEASE someone clarify. didnt anyone else get D for a double equation in the quantitativ comparison? i remember that you couldnt just simply solve it for some reason, so i put D.
im pretty sure the problem where the 6ys cancel out were in a DIFFERENT problem too, cause i remember doing it later on in the test.

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

yes andrew, i agree. but we need to figure out the reason it was too ambiguous. someone must remember...

By Montydsw11 (Montydsw11) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

the answer was NOT D. one x was greater than 1

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Monty, I am talking about a different problem. I remember the problem with the 6y and -6y, and those canceled and made it A (x was greater than 1). However, I remember another problem dealing with equations where it was D.

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:22 pm: Edit

hmm, i thought it was the X:1 problem that was D... well i know for sure that thre was one with 6y cancelling out (which i think was in problem solving, not quant cmp). and the one im referring to, i think i remember trying to add them together to solve it, but it didnt work for some reason so i put d. but it seems like no one remembers it.

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

AHHHHHHHH someone remember it AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH i am obsessed with this one problem. if only i could see the DMN problem and know for once and for all if i got it wrong or not or why it COUDLNT BE DETERMINED AHHHHH

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

maybe it was like 2x+3y=z, 3x+2y=w because the two equations looke dreally inconspicuous butthere was some type of ambiguity.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

The different problem I am talking about that I don't remember (not the 6y's canceling out one) was D I think, because I just plugged in. I chose numbers that I thought would make the answer change, and they did. Sorry I can't remember anything else about it.

By Haan (Haan) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Anybody remember getting 4 straight B's in the quantitative comparison section?

By Haan (Haan) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:53 pm: Edit

Anybody remember getting 4 straight B's in the quantitative comparison section?

By Qu1kslvr (Qu1kslvr) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:58 pm: Edit

haan -- not really, its possibly but the only pattern i remember was i had two D's in a row

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

anyone remember this poblem quantatative comparison problem? thinking about it is killing me

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page