5/3 SAT I, other post to big...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: 5/3 SAT I, other post to big...
By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 12:57 pm: Edit

just thought id create a second, faster loading thread on 5/3 sat. please avoid the other one, iuts getting too long. heres my question:

anyone rembmer the choices for BOOR:RUDENESS besides dupe:gullibility?

what about for insouciant:---?

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:01 pm: Edit

lets make this an "answer" thread. please just post any answers u remember putting, especially the less conspicuous ones (i.e. the ones we've already posted a bunch of times). one-word answers will work, no explanations needed (as long as its obvious what the answer/question is)

By Lt56boy (Lt56boy) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:05 pm: Edit

does anyone remember cataclysmic being an answer? the one involving not taking care of a house or something....

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:08 pm: Edit

Yeah, anyone remember any non-controversial answers (that haven't been posted yet or have been posted very little)?

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

I still dont care for that Periodical:Magazine question.

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:21 pm: Edit

whales: confirmed, assumptions
dreams: when they say what is the guy doing, i think he is making an inference based on evidence or something; the argement:dream is a bunch of random images; personal account to a general observation; hardships he shwos hes enduring; he needs to create his own processes of of coping (i hope..); emphasize his point of view; brain is an unflexible unchanging thing; dreams allow us to access an unconscious reality (i hope, do you remember the other choices?)

black women: self interest; catalyst is showing the different influences that constitue a change in perspective (i hope,, it was either that or the social change one), admonishing (she is gently warning ),

Napster: both agree that musicians need comemrcial sales to live, to show experience as songwriters, satirical,that futre young musicians wont make living on music, world renown, the effect ws positive,

quant comp: there was one where there was a couple equations with x and y, but there are no restrictions so the answer is D.

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:23 pm: Edit

yeah, i still dont think a dictionary is a type of book....

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:26 pm: Edit

hardships he shwos hes enduring; he needs to create his own processes of of coping (i hope..); emphasize his point of view; brain is an unflexible unchanging thing; dreams allow us to access an unconscious reality (i hope, do you remember the other choices?)

I remember the hardship possible answer but I don't remember putting it, do you remember at all what the question was? Also, I thought the passage was about the brain being flexible and changing.

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:32 pm: Edit

the question was: what does physician or something say i think...

the hardship one was: why does he mention his being rght handed

the unchanging brain one, i think the question was : what do the "others" believe (i think the author talked about the "others" as people who dont agree with the author). im actually starting to worry, because i dont really remember why i put unchanging and inflexible....anyone remember question?

ALSO, what u put for vnetilate:air? was that on experimental? i put illuminate:light

i dont remember cataclysmic as an aswer choice

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:36 pm: Edit

unchanging and inflexible is correct

For the same passage, i dont remember the question but i put somehting like he controls his own healing or watever.. it was the question with other answer choices about what neurologists think

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:40 pm: Edit

i know what ur referring to controlling ur own healing, but iremember putting something else. do u remember choices? wasnt there one like:the author doesnt know enough about his muscular system? that might have been the neurologist oe because he tells author how peopl adapt, but author didnt know the stuff before he tld him.

ayone remember insouciant analogy, or the succession:sequential one? i think the sequential one was like A or B or like one of the top answers.

By Drago9034 (Drago9034) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:47 pm: Edit

the guy mentions being strongly right handed in order to show how he has to overcome a lot of obstacles in writing the book with his left hand.

Also, the whales one was confirmed speculations, not confirmed assumptions. (just making it clear)

Unchanging and inflexible is right, because he was showing how the brain can adapt to a virtually limitless number of situations, and the question asked what 'others' might have thought about the brain. Others might have thought that it was programmed and not able to be changed, but the author was proving the 'others' wrong by showing that it adapts naturally.

By Chronofx (Chronofx) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

Could somebody refresh my memory?

There was a question with 4 lines and 4 angles among the lines given. It was not drawn to scale.

The lines were two pairs of parallel lines (although not drawn that way the problem stated that they were), and each pair intersected the other pair.

Within the diagram there were 4 angles formed by these lines: A, B, C (I'm not sure about these) - I believe that you can figure out by properties of parallel lines and vertical angles that A = B = C. The problem also told you that Y = A + B + C.

From the diagram, it was also possible to tell that Y and C (not sure which was the 2nd angle) were supplementary.

So, my question is, can anybody tell me what the question was? What the answer choices were? What the actual answer was? If it was experimental?

By 1001001 (1001001) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Holy S-Hit, I didn't think it would break 600.

By Flippanda328 (Flippanda328) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:41 pm: Edit

Does anyone know if any of these analogies were experimental?

stronghold:fortification::thoroughfare:sidewalk
CLIENTELE:CUSTOMER::AUDIENCE:SPECTATOR
Whim:Capricious::Quirk:Idiosyncracy
Distill:Pure::Concentrate:intense

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

stronghold:fortification::thoroughfare:sidewalk That one could be, I dont remember having it.

By Drago9034 (Drago9034) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:45 pm: Edit

the first one was, the rest weren't, as far as i remember

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:45 pm: Edit

I dont think I did well at all on this one...oh well, it was my first one. I can use it to gauge my next performances.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:57 pm: Edit

"look, its not 1/6:6/36. the chances of picking 5 out of the six numbers? 1/6. then, in the second column, listen carefully ill explain it to u slowly...you pick one number at RANDOM-it doesnt matter which number u have, you have one number from the first set. so, there is no probability involved with picking a number at RANDOM. THEN, once you have that number, you go to the second set. for any number u pick in the first set (regardless of which number), you will only have 1 number in the second set that will add up to 7 for you. so the second column is also 1/6. I know 6/36 is equal to 1/6, but there is none of that double probability stuff involved that you guys seem to be doing. there is no probability involved with your RANDOM choice because it doesnt matter what you get the first time."

But the answer would still be C no matter how you interpret the question, right?

By Drago9034 (Drago9034) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:04 pm: Edit

If we agree that this was the problem:

Set A= {1,2,3,4,5,6}
Set B= {1,2,3,4,5,6}

One number is chosen at random from Set A, then one from Set B

A. The probability that the number chosen from Set A is 5.
B. The probability that the numbers chosen from Set A and Set B add to 7 (Read: it was 7, not 6)

then the answer is c. theyre both 1/6

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:05 pm: Edit

yes, its still c.

what do u think the curve will be on the verbal? i know i have five wrong (one omitted i think) for sure, hopefully only one or two more than that... would five wrong one ommited be about a 750? geez these bastardly curves are killing me.

on my practice tests, i would always think i got all the math right, then find out i got like 4 careless errors. i hope I FLUKED this math one and happened to catch all of ETS tricks.

By Lick_My_Beanbag (Lick_My_Beanbag) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:20 pm: Edit

How do you do that one problem where it says, if one pizza feeds three people and one salad feeds six and one cake feeds 8 and the some of all pizza, cake, and salad is n, what is the number of people p with respect to n.. that one was gay I hope ETS and Collegeboard go to ••••••• hell!

Collegeboard and ETS can lick my beanbag

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:20 pm: Edit

hey for the triangle one, i dont remember the squared part. it ws just triangle 4, times triangle 25, times triangle 3. they weren tin parentheses, im pretty sure, so where was the square?

By Drago9034 (Drago9034) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:22 pm: Edit

the problem was def. ( /4\* /3\ * /25\ )2

By Geoffroy681985 (Geoffroy681985) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:29 pm: Edit

Can somebody try to list all of the questions that they can remember that went with the following reading passages and the answers that they got for them:

1.) The brain passage(Guy using left hand instead of right)
2.) The African-American women passage
3.) The dream passage

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:30 pm: Edit

what were the other choices on the ventilate:air analogy??...

By Geoffroy681985 (Geoffroy681985) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

There is one quantitative comparison i'm not exactly sure about. You are given two equations as follows (I think these are the exact equations because the numbers are still in my calculator.)

2x + 6y = 7
5x - 6y = 3

I think in column A, it said "x" and in column B, it said "1." Some people are saying that the answer is D, but I don't understand how that could be true since I used matrices to solve the system and found x to be 1.4 or something like that. I could be wrong but could somebody please explain what I did wrong if I am?

By Drago9034 (Drago9034) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

if you add the two equations, you get:

2x + 6y = 7
5x - 6y = 3
7x + 0y = 10

therefore x=10/7 which is greater than 1.
its a, you're right.

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

i dont think that was the whole problem caus eim pretty sure i wouldve found 1.4 easily. i think you have the equations wrong cause it was D...i hope.

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:03 pm: Edit

peanut for that CR question from earlier.. i think it said neurologist don't know enough about the muscular system and in that case thats way too extreme of a statement to be correct

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:31 pm: Edit

I do remember 6y and -6y canceling each other out.

However, I also remember another question with xs and ys where the answer was D. Does anyone else remember another question with xs and ys?

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:33 pm: Edit

no, it says the author doesnt know a lot about his recovering muscular system, because the neuro guy tol dhim about it, and the author said he dd not know the stuff th neuro gu told him

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:38 pm: Edit

what do u predict the curve for the may sat to be like? im hoping 75 for 800 verbal and 57 for 800 math that curve would be sweet.

By Chronofx (Chronofx) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:46 pm: Edit

wishful thinking peanuts, i doubt that even getting one point off the raw score for math will yield an 800.

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:35 pm: Edit

I HAVE TO TYPE THIS IN CAPS (ME THINKS IT WILL GET ATTENTION) which verbal section was experimental, for those who got an extra math, which verbals did u get, i had an extra verbal, one reading was about plant genetics, guy's dreams, neurology, black ppl, so one of them was not counted, for those who had math experimental, which of those three verbal readings did you guys have?

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:36 pm: Edit

YEAH andrew, i remember specifically that the equations were too vague. i mean, if it were so simple as to just cancel the y's and isolate x, i think i wouldve figured it out. there was something about the two equatrions that made it ambiguous, so it was D.

i think it MAY have been something really subtle like 3x+6y=10, sx-6y=13 or something... actually that doesnt look too correct but I KNOW there was something about it that made it unable tobe etermined. SOMEONE PLESE CONTRIBUTE YOUR TWO CENTS if u can remember the problem

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:39 pm: Edit

mit wannaebe the experimental was the hoover dam/electricity one and the sandpainting one(i believE) but i dont remember a plant genetics one (yours may have been different.)

By Arthur (Arthur) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:39 pm: Edit

mitwannabe:

i had math experimental. i remember having passages about dreams, black women, and obviously napster, and maybe something else.

please elaborate on the neurology passage, maybe i can help you out. i did not have plant genetics.

By Chrisl (Chrisl) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:48 pm: Edit

I remember now which analogy was bugging me...it was the Gibe:Ridicule one i think. Anyone remember what they got for it?

By Mitwannabe (Mitwannabe) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:10 pm: Edit

sorry, i forgot to say napster, but the dream one was about some guy talking about dreams and reality and finding one's self, something like that, i forgot

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

The plant genetics passage was experimental.

By Haan (Haan) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Does anybody remember getting like 4 B's in a row for quantitative comparisons?

By Haan (Haan) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Does anybody remember getting like 4 B's in a row for quantitative comparisons?

By Dazedhyacinth (Dazedhyacinth) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

is it possible any of the analogies were experimental?

By Lt56boy (Lt56boy) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Peanuts...the quantitative comparison was just that easy...it was...4x-6y=3 and 3x-6y=7...or something along those lines...

i am 95% sure there were no catches and nothing else to it, all you had to do was cancel out the 6y's and find out that x is greater then one, hence the answer was (i believe) A...

By Lt56boy (Lt56boy) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Peanuts...the quantitative comparison was just that easy...it was...4x-6y=3 and 3x-6y=7...or something along those lines...

i am 95% sure there were no catches and nothing else to it, all you had to do was cancel out the 6y's and find out that x is greater then one, hence the answer was (i believe) A...

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

well, if thats the case, that means thre were two problems with 6ys cancelling out, because i remember clearly later on in the test that there was a problem that definitely had 6y's canclling each other out.

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

"Does anybody remember getting like 4 B's in a row for quantitative comparisons?"

In fact, I had 5 B's in a row!

Im utterly horrible at math though...

By Lt56boy (Lt56boy) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:59 pm: Edit

Does anyone remember an answer with "indominable", if so, do you remember the question it pertained to?

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

the sentence was about a woman who triumphs ovr adversity, so she was indomitable/

By Haan (Haan) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:20 pm: Edit

4B's in a row for quantitative comparisons?

By Number9 (Number9) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:36 pm: Edit

yeah, Peanuts.

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:44 pm: Edit

penuts back to the neurologist question.. wouldn't the answer be his own body control how he heals. Being that the whole passage was about the uniquness of ones adapation in direct respect to the individual. Plus it didn't seem like he did not understand what the neruologist said. All he said was that you are your own doctor because the body heals differently for each person

By Drago9034 (Drago9034) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:45 pm: Edit

what was gibe:ridicule ????

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

well the bridge shoudl be when u gibe someone you are ridiculing them.

i dont remember the answer choices however

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

the question was summing like "what does talking to neurolosgist revealabout the author"? if "he told him to create his own processes to cope with recovery" was an answer choice, then im pretty sure that was the answer. however, if the "coping with recovery" is the choice for anoter question, then i think the answer to this question is "it reveals that the author does not knw about his muscular systems" because: the neuro guy tells author that he must develop his own ways to recover, so hat his muscles/nervus system reconfigures or summing. so, author does not know about his muscles etc.

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

the question was summing like "what does talking to neurolosgist revealabout the author"? if "he told him to create his own processes to cope with recovery" was an answer choice, then im pretty sure that was the answer. however, if the "coping with recovery" is the choice for anoter question, then i think the answer to this question is "it reveals that the author does not knw about his muscular systems" because: the neuro guy tells author that he must develop his own ways to recover, so hat his muscles/nervus system reconfigures or summing. so, author does not know about his muscles etc.

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

•••• wait.. the question im refering to was not even the one based on what the neurologist said although some of the answer choices were in retrospect to a neurologist. Im talkin about the question about the other doctor he quoted after the neurologist

By Haan (Haan) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

did u guys say for that passage personal account leading to a general observation?

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

"did u guys say for that passage personal account leading to a general observation?"

Yes, I said that.

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:40 pm: Edit

yes thats correct

By Drago9034 (Drago9034) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 06:33 pm: Edit

I'm pretty sure gibe:ridicule was query:question. Anyone concur?

Also, was caricature:drawing = melodrama:emotion or farce:play ? I think the latter, not sure.

By Soilbean (Soilbean) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

i think it was almost definitely farce:play.

a caricature is a type of drawing that mocks and gives a humorous effect, a farce is a type of play that exaggerates plot, mocks character, etc.

and yeah, gibe is the act of ridiculing, as query is the act of questioning.

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 07:43 pm: Edit

it is defintly farce:play

I have a question regarding the curve... I am postivie it is developed a year prior to the current exam however here is my question:

Some people say the may 2003 curve comes from the april 2002 testers which seems illogical to me. Others say the may 2003 curve comes from the may 2002 testers. I am hoping on the latter since the general scoring average is most likely lower for may due to the overwhelming number of juniors who take the exam, thus low scores will help make the curve more friendly.

What do you guys think?

By Confetti (Confetti) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 08:16 pm: Edit

ee, i said that since melodrama is exaggerated emotion, it's like a caricature, which is an exaggerated drawing

By Kiki1 (Kiki1) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

did u guys say for that passage personal account leading to a general observation?>>

what were the other answer choices?

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

A carciture is a humorous picture of an exagerated character
A farce is a humorous play with exagerated characters.

Key point is character.

Melodrama describes exagereated emotions, not characters nore humor thus it is not the best choice

Tough question

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:11 pm: Edit

kiki im positve the answer was personal account leading to other obeservations.. screw the other choices :)

By Haan (Haan) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Maybe incognito can help us out with this analogy

caricature:drawing = melodrama:emotion or farce:play?

Thanx

By Haan (Haan) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Maybe incognito can help us out with this analogy

caricature:drawing = melodrama:emotion or farce:play?

Thanx

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Well, by definition, a caricature is a drawing that is produced for a comic effect (as it generally makes fun or someone). Likewise, [a] farce is [usually] a play that is produced for a comic effect (as it is generally a play or something that ridicules). The first word in each analogy is a comical and ridiculing version of the general word in the second part of the analogy. This isn't a very easy one. I'm positive that farce:play is correct, though. The other posters were correct. A melodrama doesn't carry that element of ridicule.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:25 pm: Edit

>>"I'm pretty sure gibe:ridicule was query:question. Anyone concur?"<<

That sounds like a pretty good choice, as to gibe a person is to riducule them, just as to "query" a person is to question them. I think that they're basically just synonyms.

By Haan (Haan) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:49 pm: Edit

Was Gibe:Ridicule experimental or no?

By Haan (Haan) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

What was the answer to that critical reading question when the physician/nuerologist says something aboutthe muscles and nerves and stuff might be reconfiguring inside his body - did u put conjecture or inquiry? Seemed like conjecture to me because he was speculating about what possibly could be happening...anyone agree or remember this question?

By Haan (Haan) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:51 pm: Edit

What was the answer to that critical reading question when the physician/nuerologist says something aboutthe muscles and nerves and stuff might be reconfiguring inside his body - did u put conjecture or inquiry? Seemed like conjecture to me because he was speculating about what possibly could be happening...anyone agree or remember this question?

By Number9 (Number9) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:55 pm: Edit

I dont think Gibe:Ridicule was experimental...

By Incognito (Incognito) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

I have no clue as to what section was experimental and what wasn't, Haan. I don't know about that CR question either, because I didn't take the May 3rd exam. I'm basing whatI say on what's on the forums...

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

I put conjecture. Also, I had gibe:ridicule, and had a math experimental, so it was not experimental.

By Peanuts (Peanuts) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

conjecture, he seemed like he was making an inference based on evidence (evidence being his personal experience)

By Number9 (Number9) on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 12:17 am: Edit

I think I missed more than 10 verbal.. Thats pretty bad.

By Drago9034 (Drago9034) on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 05:51 pm: Edit

Was I the only one that had a quantum physics passage?

By Gneugen (Gneugen) on Wednesday, May 14, 2003 - 05:15 pm: Edit

"If we agree that this was the problem:

Set A= {1,2,3,4,5,6}
Set B= {1,2,3,4,5,6}

One number is chosen at random from Set A, then one from Set B

A. The probability that the number chosen from Set A is 5.
B. The probability that the numbers chosen from Set A and Set B add to 7 (Read: it was 7, not 6)

then the answer is c. theyre both 1/6
"

This is balogna. Picking two numbers that add to 7 is 1/36 since they must be picked in progression. There are only 2 numbers on each die that can add to 7, and since they must both be chosen (the random added to show that you aren't looking, not to say that the first is random and the second not) in succession, the chance is (1/6) * (1/6). This makes the answer choice A correct.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page