Anyone take SAT II Literature?.. The worst test ever.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Anyone take SAT II Literature?.. The worst test ever.
By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:42 pm: Edit

This was extremely hard and the very, very LONG dialogue was uncalled for. It wasted too much time. I guessed on so many questions....... Any thoughts. Please post questions if you can remember them.

By Hightower (Hightower) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:48 pm: Edit

I agree, the literature was fairly hard. However, I thought the long dialogue one was the easiest section, probably. I did take literature as my 3rd sat II today, though, so I know I was also tired towards the end of it. Who else took it and what did you think? Bump.

By Clipse (Clipse) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Cooljay687, what do you mean it was difficult? did u prep for it at all? I mean if you know you lit terms and can spot them all you should be okay shouldnt you?

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:52 pm: Edit

i took the literature test to see what it was like back when there was score choice. i will say that this particular SAT only appeals to a small group of people (not me) and to all others, it is very hard. Especially when they ask you 8 questions on a poem that is 6 lines long. I wouldnt take it unless i was a poetry fanatic or something

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:07 pm: Edit

Clipse, did you take the test? I did prep for me and know many literary terms. There are 61 questions on the test, and it would normally be fine if they give various medium-length poems and proses. However, on this test they decided to give long proses consistently as well as over 1 page dialogue. Due to the timing constraint, you are constantly rushing and not grasping the concept. It made it so difficult that I found myself periodically guessing. I am almost afraid to see what I got on this test, unless other people in the nation feel the same way to have a generous curve. But something tells me only geniuses take this test..

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Hightower do you happen to remember any questions from the dialogue or any other section? It might make me feel more relaxed if I am sure I got one question right on this (ok probably hyperbole) lol

By Clipse (Clipse) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:25 pm: Edit

Cooljay687, didnt take it, i am preping for it. And im in honors english so we do a lot of poetry analysis but not sure if its at the difficulty of the test. I should try some diag tests and see how i do.

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:30 pm: Edit

Keep me updated on your progress. Literature seems to be a very objective tests; sometimes I get massive right answers, sometimes I get massive wrong ones.

By Clipse (Clipse) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:45 pm: Edit

yah, spotting literary devices usually isnt too hard, but interpretation and metaphors and stuff are the real pain

By Lwithay (Lwithay) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Does AP Literature help prepare for the SAT II Lit test?

By Andrew (Andrew) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

Yes it does, lit is easy like the AP English tests, it's just most people who take haven't taken AP english and they think it is hard. I took a practice and got a 760, there's no real way to prep for it other than to know the lit terms like zeugma, chiasmus, metaphor, polysyndeton, and stuff like that. Hope this helps. Good luck to all those who took it. It is subjective from what I have heard from people who have taken it.

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:21 pm: Edit

Andrew, I am prepping independently from the Ap Eng Lang test Tuesday, so I would say I am getting to know many of those exotic terms of literature and so forth. However, the SAT II Lit exam really does not focus on these terms that much; I would say knowing these terms does not put one too ahead of the pack.

By Andrew (Andrew) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Yeah but also being able to interpret the use of the language with syntax and stuff like that would definitely set you up for a good score right. And having close reading skills. Am I wrong? I'm not sure, it just seemed easy to me when I ttok the practice ones - sometimes the poetry stuff can be slightly difficult but other than that it seemed fair. Unless maybe the practice tests are nothing like the real test.

By Dori (Dori) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 12:49 am: Edit

my english teacher told me it's just like the ap language MC that i'm taking tuesday. so i didn't do any extra prep. stupid me.

i had NO idea it would have poetry. i think i did ok on the love poem, the dialogue, and the invisible man passage (we spend like 6 weeks on that book alone) but the others were awful. i totally did not understand the second passage at ALL. :(. i'm probably gonna take physics or something in the fall instead to make up for this.

By Confetti (Confetti) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:09 am: Edit

which prep books help the most with the sat II literature exam?

By Mrowry (Mrowry) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

We do tons of old tests in our AP Lang/Comp class, and those are soooo much easier than the SAT II Lit. I've gotten to the point where I don't get more than 4 wrong on those, but I was guessing like crazy yesterday.

I would agree that knowing terminology doesn't really help.

Does anyone remember the answer to the question about the simile with the hand ("separate like the fingers")? It was for the passage with the grandfather declaring himself a "traitor"...

By Beany (Beany) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

I've never been so rushed on a lit test. the kaplan practice ones i took at home were definetly easier. the first love poem, salmon piece and that dialogue were okay, but the grandfather excerpt, that peice about the guy who had no imagination (what the hell???) and that last poem were bitches! Espically that last poem, which, until I got to the last question, I thought was a love poem for the guy's dead wife or something. What was the "opposition?" was it employee vs. consumer? and what were the broken fingers? I put it was their dissapointment in weak harvest, i think.
oh, and about the hand thing, I put the thing segregation

By Dori (Dori) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 12:22 am: Edit

just fyi: the traitor thing is from the beginning of "the invisible man" i only did well on that because we spent forever on it in my ap english class

By Mrowry (Mrowry) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:16 pm: Edit

Any clue about the curve on this thing? It's looking grim for me...

By Staticallergic (Staticallergic) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:49 pm: Edit

yeah, the sat II lit test was sort of a slap in the face to me b/c i love literature and it's my "thing," so to speak, so when i only got like a 670 i was sort of upset (thankfully score choice still existed.) i guess it's the non-contemporary poetry that makes it a pain.

By Staticallergic (Staticallergic) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

p.s. : Andrew, you mentioned analyzing syntax, etc. do you think that works for the AP lit exam? i just walked out of it cursing myself because i am enrolled in AP lang and opted to take the lit test too. i was in language mode b/c of test prep in class and all my analysis of the poems was about syntax, diction, etc. . . do you know if that's proper for the lit test or not?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page