5/3 Writing SAT II

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: 5/3 Writing SAT II
By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Hey the prompt wasn't bad at all, i am interested in what you guys wrote about! Also, if anyone wants to discuss any of the multiple choice questions ( i was unsure of some of them ) please include them in this thread.

If you are interested at all, I recreated most of the essay that I wrote this morning, on
"The world is changing for the better"
Feel free to give me any imput and/or ideas on my score!

-----Changes have been continuously occurring throughout history. Whether these changes have been for the better or for the worse has also been vehemently argued. However, from my own observations, I have concluded that the social, political, and scientific changes in the world have yielded progress.
-----An argument for physiological progress can be found in Charles Darwinís Origin of Species. Darwin stated that man, along with all other animals in the world, is in a constant struggle to survive. Individuals more adept to adapt to pressures from the environment survive, and pass their favorable traits to their offspring. Inevitably, evolution occurs, which is when an entire species changes for the better. Now that I have discussed physiological progress in the world, I would like to discuss social progress in the world.
-----From the Americanís victory in the American Revolution to the fall of Nazi Germany in World War II to the collapse of the USSR in the cold war, there has been a constant trend. In each of the previous events, democracy has triumphed over tyranny, despotism, or communism. While it can be argued that communism still exists in countries such as China, it is obvious that it is also moving towards democracy. China has opened its markets to the world, paving the way for capitalism.
-----Although it would be folly to claim that all changes are for the better, I believe that the world is moving in the right direction. Freedom and liberties are flourishing worldwide, the human race is slowly progressing physiologically, and suppressive governments are faltering. What more can one ask for?

This essay was exactly 2 pages long.

I know my essay violates a lot of the "rules" that they teach you not to do on the writing test, but I couldn't think that hard under pressure :)
I tried to preserve most of the grammatical errors I made as well, so tell me what you think! Thanks!

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

I wrote about how america has progressed with its dealings with slavery, (like how at first everyone people treated blacks as animals) and slowly we have changed for the better in race relations. i still had like 1/4 a page after it. the essay wasn't bad at all, but im afraid some grammatical errors i made will cost me and my short legnth, i cant remember the questions but i know i only had like 2 e's

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:28 pm: Edit

one of the identify sentence errors was somethin like:
"If the company does not finish filling the forms, its business will definately descend.

s*** i just realized ITS is an ambiguous pronoun.

By Enzo (Enzo) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

I filled up my entire space down to the last line. I wrote 4 paragraphs with clear theses. My first body paragraph was about the US' war on terrorism and how that was a fight for world peace. I said that a fight against war and terrorism was a war for peace, ensuring a brighter future. My second body was about efforts being made to protect the environment. Specifically, I mentioned fuel efficient and less pollutant vehicles. I said that making changes to help the environment will help the world endure through time. At points, I may have veered from the thesis but I don't think that matters in this form of writing. A reader probably only has 30 seconds to look at an essay so my assumption is that they only look for a long essay in paragraph form. At most, they probably read the first couple of lines of each paragraph. Overall, I didn't think the multiple choices were bad. I too didn't have very many answers that were already correct as given.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:45 pm: Edit

no the filing forms one its faulty diction. its business will decline, not descend. i think it cant be "its" becasue it refers to business def, "forms" is plural so how is it ambigous? i may be wrong

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

2 e's on the whole test? I got much more than that. also on my essay i wrote about rights of blacks, but i realized i never really explained what rights they were lacking of. i just discussed harriet tubman, malcom x and martin luther king. i used both sides of the paper, but the other side still has 75% left! am i doomed for a lower score?? :(

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:50 pm: Edit

hey i wrote rights of blacks too! i think as long as u focused on progress ull be ok. i barely mentioned the particular rights. i focused on the progress, oh and for the e's im paranoid about putting "e" becuase i'm always like, no no there must be something wrong with it so i look for anything. i prbly actually had like 3 or 4 e's. Ohh my brains about to explode, I want to go see XMen. lol sorry for the randomness

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

oh yes starbyrst you are correct, i was thinking of filling but i wasnt sure, either way i was wrong.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:53 pm: Edit

haha yeah i am definately seeing X-Men tonight; heard it was awesome

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

lol starbyrst, what examples did you use and how long was your essay

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:17 pm: Edit

OH YEAH! I always thought that you were REQUIRED to write in PEN for the SAT II Writing test! But when I asked my proctor today, he said NO pens! My essay is written in pencil, is that ok??

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:30 pm: Edit

hello can someone please answer this question it is driving me nuts lol

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:34 pm: Edit

No, i asked my proctor too and he said pen.
i started with slavery and the mainstream attitude of white superiority then i went on too how people slowly began to see the wrongs (william lloyd garrison) of slavery and then i went to civil war and lincolns emancipation proclamation and how it was a big step (i made sure to make it clear how it diddnt free all the slaves though) and then i wrapped it up with civil rights movement. I wanted to include how racism is today but i was running short of time and had to wrap it up quickly.
i had about 1/2 page left i think

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:35 pm: Edit

NO NO NO im sorry, i meant to say "pencil" my proctor said PENCIL was what you were supposed to use! sorry :)

By Dubiastic (Dubiastic) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:04 pm: Edit

Your essay shows a very topical knowledge of World events and history. I do hope you made it a tad longer and gave some more specific examples, inside your examples. All in all, nice job. For the future, take the American Revolution and talk a lot about it. Then, you can say, "These same train of upheaval (whatever) exists in other places:......blah blah". This shows a detailed knowledge. Its impressive you know three large historical moments, but writing 3 sentences specifically about one would be cool... I'd say between 8-10.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:11 pm: Edit

ok thanks

By Dubiastic (Dubiastic) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:12 pm: Edit

what are your stats otherwise? junior? a/s/l?

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:41 pm: Edit

im 17/m/california , yes junior, if i do poorly on this writing test ill probably take it again in october

By Tenniscassieo (Tenniscassieo) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:59 pm: Edit

ha, i said the world is changing for the worst.
how cynical... oh well...

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:05 pm: Edit

lol i was going to take the opposite stand too, i probably would have written a better essay, tons of good examples and it would have been a little different. oh well.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

anyone else remember any of the weirder MC's?

By Nifty101 (Nifty101) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

i said the world is changing for the worst, too... they won't hold that against us, will they?? lol (after all, didn't the question say "discuss", not support, right?)

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

of course, you can always take the opposing viewpoint

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

Was dubiastic talking about my essay? 8-10 sucks! If I can write an 8 for AP Language essay about rhetorical devices and linguistic choices, how come I can't answer the easiest prompts ever?? oh well i'll live

By Aznboi13 (Aznboi13) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

i talked about how computers have rapidly increased the speed at which things may be accomplished and therefore new inventions and such have been coming out at a increasingly faster speed so the world has become better.

Is that a legimate topic or does it go off coarse?

By Scrsteven (Scrsteven) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:47 pm: Edit

I killed the writing section with my essay supporting the statement using the toppling of the oppressive Iraqi regime and the recent innovations in computers and the internet as examples. the m/c was easy..i only got about 2 e's though? Anyone else? I got a 235 on the psat, so, I guess it should have been easy.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

yeah, i only got a few 2's 3 or 4 at most, i believe around 2 or 3!

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:00 pm: Edit

Why do you guys talk about the essays all the time? I find the MC's to be MUCH HARDER. Are they really easy for everyone else or what?

By Scrsteven (Scrsteven) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

The m/c used to be really hard for me, but i studied so hard for the psat cuz i wanted to get national merit (and i will with my score) that it became easy somehow. the errors just stick out flagrantly at me. *shrugs*

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

its jsut that i cant remember the writing questions, since they were all random and such. i agree though, it was challenging.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:08 pm: Edit

well I now get about the same score each time on the MC now so, the essay is the only thing that can either bring my score up 100 or down 100 pts=(

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

how many times have u taken the writing?

By Dori (Dori) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 12:44 am: Edit

i wrote about how we're doing more community service than ever before, doing more to clean up the environment, and more of us are going on to college to further our education.

i felt pretty good about it.

MC were pretty good. my goal was 700. i think i probably got it

By Thepiskickass (Thepiskickass) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 12:47 am: Edit

Hm... I wrote about techonology. And Brave New World. I'm sick, I haven't slept for a few days. The test was a blur. I think I should have at least a 700. I'm not too bad when it comes to writing. I got a 70 on the PSAT in writing. I hope I get a good score......

By Thepiskickass (Thepiskickass) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:48 am: Edit

bump

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:38 pm: Edit

starbyrst: never taken it before, my first time

By Tiatemeh (Tiatemeh) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:05 pm: Edit

..... i don't think i did very well, which sucks because the prompt was soooo easy. I spent 2 minutes planning, which is good for me, because on the harder practice tests, i had trouble thinking up examples. And I also wrote about the improvement in African American rights, but I also wrote two other paragraphs: one about women's rights, and one about how science has advanced, allowing humans to understand the world around them better. Or something like that. Anyways, I hadn't gotten to the conclusion when the proctor called 20 min, and I wanted to make sure I did the multiple choice. So i went on. But I didn't have time to go back! and i had such a good conclution in my head! argh! I was going to say something like: Our world is not yet perfect, and it is doubtful it will ever near perfection. However, the current trend indicates that the world IS improving. Isn't that all we should really expect?

Okay, it's not perfect, but it would be better than nothing, which is what i put!!!!!! i'm so screwed. Do you realize that, according to a real practice test from last year, if you get a PERFECT on the multiple choice, you can get a 9 on the essays and still have a 800. I'm hoping that I do well on mc... and maybe the essay graders, will see that I'm a good writer (well, an okay writer anyways) through my other paragraphs. *sigh* one week, six days until we find out.....oh, and btw, X-men rock! See the show. I saw it last night, and it's better than the first.

By Enzo (Enzo) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:06 pm: Edit

I agree with starbyrst. I put 'descend' as the answer because that was a word misuse. Also, I don't remember the exact sentence, but I thought 'confer' was also misused. Anyone else have that?

By Scrsteven (Scrsteven) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

I think the wrong word was descend...supposed to be declined.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:12 pm: Edit

hm i do remember the question with confer, although i didn't put it as the error.

why are writing SAT II questions so difficult to remember :)

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:55 pm: Edit

if someone gets an 8 on his essay, how many MC can he miss in order to get a 700?

By Enzo (Enzo) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

I think probably 0. The MC are worth 60 points. A perfect essay is worth 41 points. Your essay score is multiplied by 3.43. So that means with an 8 essay, you would lose 14 points.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

on the writing SAT II there was a question like :

bla bla bla were equal, if not worse than, bla bla bla.

is equal the incorrect part?

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 07:20 pm: Edit

woof 790!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page