May 3- Math IC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: May 3- Math IC
By Rapture329 (Rapture329) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:49 pm: Edit

Hey guys... what did you all think about today's math IC?

By Enzo (Enzo) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:01 pm: Edit

Harder than I perceived it would it be.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

it was OK. I practiced with Princeton Review practice tests and they were almost perfect reproductions. so they helped me situate how i would do. the book helped me alot becuase it had the exact same types of questions that were actually on the sat. it was hard but i thought comparitively it was alrite. the us history one i thought was the hardest. then math and i thought writing was easiest...knock on wood...

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

I finished all the questions in 35 minutes but I had 4 blanks

By Ndhawk (Ndhawk) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:40 pm: Edit

you had 4 blanks????? good luck buddy, the curve for that test is horrid, miss one and you're down to a 770 or so

By Thepiskickass (Thepiskickass) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

Is the curve really that bad? I didn't practice AT ALL! I mean whatsoever! I didn't even know what was on the test. I was fine for maybe the first thirty or so questions, and then I couldn't do anything. I left three blank. I probably had the other seventeen wrong since I guessed. I was hoping for a 600 at least, since the 700's not happening, but now I guess I'll be happy to get a 500. Is the curve really that bad? Oh man. I'm supposed to be a math person. I think I'm going to go crawl away and die!

By Dori (Dori) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 12:55 am: Edit

i had trouble with the geometry questions. i was never any good at geometry.

what was the question with the arc and the cord and the length of the cord compared to the length of the radius? or whatever it was. that really confuzed me.

By Thepiskickass (Thepiskickass) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:45 am: Edit

Yeah. The sector area?
Here's the way I figured it...
The formula for sector area(I believe) is
1/2(r^2)theta= sector area
The question was something like:
5pi/3 and r=5? correct?
I'm not sure........

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:26 am: Edit

this test was really very hard
a question with a circle and the last question with sphere were the hardest questions.

What did you answer for the overlapping unit squares?

By Rapture329 (Rapture329) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:32 am: Edit

Yes, I put 72 degrees for the sector question you guys were talking about (or 1/5 of the circle.) I agree that it was hard too. The last several questions were very tricky. Does anyone know how to do the last two? There was a long function question and the area of the sphere question.

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:20 pm: Edit

I said for the last question b)
but I don't remember what the answer was :)
if you can remind me the questions I can tell you the answers

By Rapture329 (Rapture329) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

The last question was about the sphere with an area of three. Then, there was a line drawn from the center of the sphere with a radius of four... Find the area of the new sphere.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:45 pm: Edit

I really don't think the curve is that bad. I only answered 35 or 36 questions on mine last year and got a 660.

By Dori (Dori) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 12:20 am: Edit

pcqo:

on the square one, each side was 1. the centers of each were "x" apart. since the squares were the same size, the non overlapping areas must be the same size. the width of the non overlapping areas was "x" because that's the amount the centers were apart.

the area of that rectangle is 1 times x which equals x.

the area of each square is 1 because each side is 1 (side x side = 1 x 1 = 1 square units)

when you subtract the non overlapping area you get x-1.

does that make sense? i'm not good at explaining these things. i can draw a diagram if you don't get it...

By Pcqo (Pcqo) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 09:12 am: Edit

I am sure that the answer is not x-1
I didn't understand your explanation but I think the answer can't be x-1(maybe because I choosed x-3/2 :) )

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page