US History SAT 2 forum

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: US History SAT 2 forum
By Yehosh1 (Yehosh1) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:46 pm: Edit

I just got home from taking the test....

Here are some of the controversial questions and answers I have heard of so far

1. Map question- 2000 slaves per dot. What does this show?

d. south carolina- slavery was more uniform?
e. effects of railroad on territories?

2. Ashcan school question...

cafes, tenemnets answer?

3. Albany Plan of Union question?

4. WHich indian group was allied before europeans came?

Powhatan confederacy

Anyone else have anything to share?

Please contribute any useful info...

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:58 pm: Edit

I believe #1 is south carlolina slavery was uniform
#2 i put tenements as well
#3 i put albany plan couldnt tax (total guess)
#4 i put iraqois confederacy ...( i tihnk is wrong)

I am wondering about
1. which of these was not provided for in the constitution -- slavery?
2. Mining camps -- answer was chinese, irish, etc. minorities?
3. roosevelt and johnson both supported -- social security?
4. Political cartoon the one guy falling off cliff -- participation in arms race? (dulles)
5. "Is our nation like Holland made of but a collection of separate soverignties?" which of the following would he get answer from -- Lincoln?

ill post more as i remember...

By Calidude31 (Calidude31) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:59 pm: Edit

I thought that map with the slaves was crap. I narrowed it to slavery was more uniform and something else. But I mean.. I don't know.. I don't think it's the effects of railroad on the territories because those weren't territories, and as you got farther out there were actually less dots, meaning it didn't expand.
I think I put the more unofirm (but even that is a stretch).

There were a bunch I didn't know (didn't study at all, but I'm in AP US History).

I left out the art one.
I think on Albany plan i guessed and said that colonial governments wanted to keep their autonomy- does that work?

How many can you miss and get high scores- is it really strict or what?

By Calidude31 (Calidude31) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:01 pm: Edit

Lateralus- I put iruqoi too , but wans't the question "which one of these abandoned their tribal warfare for a confederation"

I think I agree with all of the other ones you put, but I don't quite remember. =]

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:08 pm: Edit

*Cheasapeake settlers different from New England in that -- NE came in families?
*After Roanoke in 1580, -- British did not try another settlement for 100 years?
*navigation acts -- mercantilism?
*"your husband left you to a strange foreign alien land" -- Chinese immigrant in california?
*Which of these immigrant groups didnt settle much in the 18th century -- Africans?
*Railroad revolt
*Movement - Fundamentalism?
*sold as many copies as bible -- Uncle tom's cabin?
*Political group that advocated rural life, warned of federal army -- republicanism? (wrong probly)
*steamboats -- clogged midwest rivers? (wrong i think)
* map of america slave vs non slave states -- america in 1850?
* Why did people like jazz - against tradition?
* James Dean - counter culture movement?
* Gulf of Tonkin - Gave president unprecedented authoritiy to declare war?
*Reason not for Carter's not being elected -- camp david?
*1950-1980 government did NOT - cut social security?

thats all for now

tons of stuff on Reagan and beyond which our class didnt cover at all!

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:08 pm: Edit

the albany plan was almost def to keep colonial autonomy, i put tenenments for ashcan too, you could probly search that online to confirm, i put 5 civilized tribes, its the only one ive ever heard of, political cartoon was arms race, calhoun i think would have said yes (to the holland quote), he was an ardent state righters, the dot one pissed me off, i put territories as the answer but thinking about it that was prbly wrong. on my rea review book with tests that have 95 questions you can have 85 and still have 800 but i have no idea how it relly is

By Calidude31 (Calidude31) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:15 pm: Edit

damnit i think i put Clay instead of Calhoun for the response to the quote. I couldn't remember which one was the annoying southerner.

After Roanoke- I don't remember what I put but I don't think it was no settlement for 100 years.

What was the railroad revolt question?
I put the Italians didn't come in the 18th century.

And I agree with everything else you said.

What about the Q on business methods - it was an "all of these are true except.."

I put unionization to cooperate with workers or whatever the hell that weirdly worded question was- was it asking from the viewpoint of the business or what?

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:15 pm: Edit

you can miss like 8 (raw score -10 pts) and still get 800, you can miss 20 (raw score -25 pts) and still get 710ish. So i just hope for 700+ lol

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:31 pm: Edit

yeah i think it was asking from the business point of view so i put support labor unions one, cuz i eliminated all the others
for roanonke i put joint stock companies, in my review book it says that english interest was stopped for only 15 years
for the rr revolt question i dont remember the choices
i put jazz agst tradition, ne came in families Navigation acts was DEF. mercantilism for james dean i put youthful rebellion, i put unlce toms cabin after bible, i put camp david too but that was a random guess, i put chinese immigrant for the quote one and im pretty sure that the Rep. advocated rural way of life (cuz Jefferson surely did and he was a Rep.) for the steamboats i put more traffic in midwest too but i dunno

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:35 pm: Edit

The steamboat one, i am now pretty sure that it increased commercial shipping along the east coast=(

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

>>which of these was not provided for in the constitution -- slavery? <<

Yeah, I put that also.

-I put Powhatan confederacy for the group allied before the Europeans came. I remember seeing that term in the beginning of the PR AP book so I figured it must have been the answer.

-For the mining camps I got the chinese, irish etc. also.

-The Lowell system- Had to do with children and women.

The cliff cartoon- I choose the answer about WW2. I think that was wrong.

The one about dollar diplomacy- Taft

For the Ashton school question I put down the choice about some education reform in the New Deal or something like that. That was a guess for me. I can't find it ANY of my review books or school text. Since the New Deal is a topic focused on the test I just chose that one hoping it was right... (here is a link about the Ashcan school that briefly describes the New Deal....http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/a/americanscene.html) The website says "New Deal Art" was "Art produced with funding from the United States government during the Great Depression of the 1930s and 1940s." I hope the Ashton school was funded as a part of this!

There was another question about which belief was antisecular and antiliberal. That was fundamentalism.

The question about which book sold more copies in the US up to that time other than the Bible... Uncle Tom's Cabin- Harriet Beecher Stowe.

Conspicuous consumption- (I though at first this might be about prohibition)...The spending of the wealthy class or something like that.

Which Supreme Court Case ruled "one man, one vote"... Baker vs. Carr

Which established judicial review...(another choice was the judicial review Act of 1870 or something)... Marbury vs. Madison

Which abolished the slaves in the United States... (I think on this one they were trying to confuse us with the Emancipation Proclamation, however, that did not abolish slavery in ALL of the US...far from it actually, few were actually free.)..... Thirteenth amendment

Korematsu vs. US allowed the internment of...Japanese Americans.

The political cartoon of a women getting out of a limo and talking to bum about something...Demonstrated Reagan's attempt to end class differences. (guess)

The first question was about the Navigation Acts and the policy surrounding it...Mercantilism

I remember there was a question pertaining to Truman's decision to drop the bomb that he thought about least when choosing to drop it. I forgot the answer choices but I remember it was pretty obvious.

Another question I was not completely sure of was which land did the US acquire as a result of not getting in military conflict... I chose Guam and some other country. (do you guys remember this one, I'm not sure about it...)

The one which asked of the following was a part of the Eisenhower administration...answer was interstate commerce act. I put the end of Vietnam for some idiotic reason. I just circled in an answer last minute and then realized my stupidity a moment answer. Sucks, I could have earned a point too!

Do you guys remember any others?

I remember there was a question about what women reform movements didn't gain in the 60s (or some other time period) which I think I got wrong. I don't remember the choice though.

What about the one about the belief of the people who framed the constitution? (Do they want small states to have power or a strong fed govt etc.)

This test was much harder than I expected. It had it's share of easy "gimme" questions but some pretty confusing ones too...

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:51 pm: Edit

"I think on Albany plan i guessed and said that colonial governments wanted to keep their autonomy- does that work?"

I put that too.

"The steamboat one, i am now pretty sure that it increased commercial shipping along the east coast=("

I put that it made use of canals. I think that was wrong too...

>>for roanonke i put joint stock companies, in my review book it says that english interest was stopped for only 15 years <<

Yep, Jamestown was settled in 1606 about 15 years later.

I agree with most of your list Lateralus-except this one: *Which of these immigrant groups didnt settle much in the 18th century -- Africans?

Wouldn't slavery/indentured servitude count?

By Sandersan (Sandersan) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:55 pm: Edit

what did we do to bail out germany in the 20s?

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:56 pm: Edit

hopefully this test proves to be harder and have a slightly more generous curve

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

The political cartoon of a women getting out of a limo and talking to bum about something -- ithought it was reagan's insensitivity to lower class.

Another question I was not completely sure of was which land did the US acquire as a result of not getting in military conflict... I chose Guam and some other country. (do you guys remember this one, I'm not sure about it...) <-- Phillipines and Puerto Rico, i thought

I agree with most of your list Lateralus-except this one: *Which of these immigrant groups didnt settle much in the 18th century -- Africans?

Wouldn't slavery/indentured servitude count? Indentured servants were from Europe, and i dont think that slavery had taken that strong a hold in the 18th century, but i may be wrong.

lets keep the questions commin guys

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

for the constitution one i put the freedom of speech because that was the bill of rights and wastn that added after it was ratified? someone know?
it was Ashcan school, and it was def. cafes, tenements ect, i know i just looked that up but i almost put the new deal one too.
i put phillipines for hte one that was military acquisition
for the 18th century immigration one i put italians cuz i considered slavery as coming to america
Truman wasnt caused to drop the bomb becuase he wanted to scare Germany into surrendering. Germany had already been defeated when they dropped the bomb.
Im so mad that i changed my answer to Shays rebellion question at the last minute. it was overthrow of government but i changed it to the tax one. Doi

By Sandersan (Sandersan) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

reagan's cartoon was where he was trying to reach out to poor people, the question asked what does it "satire" so it is making fun of reagan trying to reach out, plus, my review book said they never say something that makes the president look bad. therefore they wouldn't call him insensitive. the phillipines and puerto rico is definitely right, we got that in the span amer war, and its not africans, its italians, they were from south east europe, didn't come until much later

By Sandersan (Sandersan) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:04 pm: Edit

for the constiution one it was slavery, the constitution doesn't explicitly provide for slavery, the constitution was ratified with the bill of rights, and it included the bill of rights, protecting free speech

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

sandersan that is a good question, i was very reluctant to put down my choice for the Dawes act to loan Germany money -- because i tohught Dawes was something about Native Americans, but tell me what you think

By Sandersan (Sandersan) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:08 pm: Edit

dawes was DEFINITELY not it, dawes had to do with native americans, i said we lent them money. to be honest when i first saw the question i thought it was a misprint because i could not see any reasonable answers

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:11 pm: Edit

perhaps the answer was the Hawley-Smoot Tarriff? but i didnt think we'd make a tarrif just for the economic recession in germany

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:11 pm: Edit

perhaps the answer was the Hawley-Smoot Tarriff? but i didnt think we'd make a tarrif just for the economic recession in germany

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:12 pm: Edit

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:16 pm: Edit

I was confused about the Dawes plan in my history class. But there WAS a Dawes plan dealing with Indians. There was also the one that was the answer though. And for the constituion one, im almost sure the bill of rights was not ratified originally with the constituion. they are the 1st ten amendments and they were added in 1791, which im almost positive is AFTER the date that the question gave which i beleive was late 1780's. and anyways the constituion protected slavery by protecting the slave trade in untill 18something. also, while slavery is never straight out said in the constittuion, there are clasues that protect the rights of slaveowners to their property. im almost sure of this one knock on wood.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:18 pm: Edit

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/GERdawes.htm
evidence for a Dawes plan dealing with Germany, if you want to check

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:22 pm: Edit

"what did we do to bail out germany in the 20s? "

That was the Dawes Plan (not to be confused with the Dawes Severalty Act which dealt with Native Americans.) It basically was when we scaled back US payments and reparations from WW1 and established a cycle of loans to Germany, this in turn funded allied debt payments to America. I noticed there was more than one Dawes Plan in the Sparknotes SAT II glossary which is how I noticed the distinction.

"Truman wasnt caused to drop the bomb becuase he wanted to scare Germany into surrendering."

Yep, I put that too.

"<-- Phillipines and Puerto Rico, i thought"

Yeah, that was the choice I picked. I said Guam because we obtained Guam, Puerto Rico and the Phillipenes.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:22 pm: Edit

holy •••• i was right! thanks starbyrst!

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

Oh another question: The chart with Britain/Spanish people coming to the colonies. etc. I think the answer to that chart was that there was an increase of British people immigrating to the colonies. Most of the other choices contradicted the chart (when they said France population in colonies went down when the chart went up).

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:47 pm: Edit

yeah that was kind of obvious i thought

By Sandersan (Sandersan) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:57 pm: Edit

what do you think is the cut off for an 800, i think i missed about 7

By Tenaciouselle (Tenaciouselle) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:02 pm: Edit

Which political party came into prominence with the Kansas-Nebraska Act?

I think I put the Republicans.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:07 pm: Edit

In the Real SAT IIs book, you need a raw score of 81 out of 90, so 7 missed will still give you an 800.

By Sandersan (Sandersan) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:10 pm: Edit

ap guy, yeah i saw that, this sat ii seemed harder than the practice sat ii's, do you think they might expand the curve to 78 or 79?

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

i dont think the curve will be that leniant. congratulations sandersan

By Dwayne_Hoover (Dwayne_Hoover) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:13 pm: Edit

Albany Plan of Union --- In 1754---trying to keep colonies together, also tried to nab the Iroquois, but alas, the British got them.

I got a 720 in the real sat II : us history book which i thought was kinda easy, but ur guys questions seem kinda tough.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

>>ap guy, yeah i saw that, this sat ii seemed harder than the practice sat ii's, do you think they might expand the curve to 78 or 79? <<

I've heard in the past that the scale is determined by some ridiculous method of basing it on the performance of the test takers from last year. If this is true, I don't think a 78 or 79 would give an 800. However, if the curve was created for this specific test's difficulty, I think it is very much a possibility. Here's hoping you get an 800!

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:25 pm: Edit

I remember another (easy factoid) question:

What was the result of the Missouri Compromise:
Missouri entered in as slave state, Maine entered in as a free state.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:40 pm: Edit

also a question on NIRA ( NRA ) which is businesses forming codes, i dont know if that was mentioned already,

and also one on the Marshall Plan

By Tenaciouselle (Tenaciouselle) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

Mahan wrote about naval powers.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:18 pm: Edit

Cheasapeake settlers different from New England settlers how?

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:18 pm: Edit

also a question like
some president didnt do which of the following
A. lend-lease

By Dubiastic (Dubiastic) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:20 pm: Edit

What do you think-- WAY HARDER than any test you had ever seen, or EASIER?????

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:21 pm: Edit

correct lat
im getting too excited since it seems i missed very few based on this term.. some1 post the real hard ones, i cant remember them though

By Dwayne_Hoover (Dwayne_Hoover) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:40 pm: Edit

To just fill in some factoids for you, (i didnt take the test today btw, i'm taking it in june)--i'm just gonna answer some questions

NIRA (National Industrial Recovery Act) created the National Recovery Administraion, which regulated wages, production and such for all industrial organization to ensure that workers were beign treated fairly.

Mahan was the major advocate of the "New Navy" and author of "The Influence of Sea Power upon History" (1890) and worked closely with Roosevelt (teddy) and HenryCabot Lodge on achieving this because he felt a powerful navy was necessary to economic-supremacy (to protect trade routes) and to supremacy over other countries.

Marshall Plan

Executed by Secretary of State, George C. Marshall, it basically gave a huge amount of money to European nations ravaged by WWII..it caused some inflation over there but it did beckon the European nations to pick up the pace on thier industrial output.

By Moreau1985 (Moreau1985) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Hey you guys, would you recommend reading through Barrons book in order to review for this test...cause i'm taking it on June 7th...and I def. need to prepare...all these questions from todays test, I would have had NO idea..If you have any recommendations for me, that would be very helpful thanks!
-Kevin

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:47 pm: Edit

i thought this test was pretty easy. i've never taken any practice ones though, so i have nothing to compare it to.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:19 pm: Edit

Dubiastic- It leaned toward being harder than being easier.

"Which political party came into prominence with the Kansas-Nebraska Act?

I think I put the Republicans."

That's correct. My prep books say the repubs came about now.

"Cheasapeake settlers different from New England settlers how? "

I think it was the one about families although I'm not sure about that one.

"WHich indian group was allied before europeans came?"

Okay, I thought it was Powhatan, however, I just checked my Kaplan AP book and it seems the correct answer was the Iroquoi League. However, I'm not sure about whether or not what calidude wrote was in the question: ""which one of these abandoned their tribal warfare for a confederation"

Some more questions:

1) Why was Anne Hutchinson banished? ..She questioned religion.

2) Which relinquished french territory in the colonies?.... French Indian War

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

"Hey you guys, would you recommend reading through Barrons book in order to review for this test...cause i'm taking it on June 7th...and I def. need to prepare...all these questions from todays test, I would have had NO idea..If you have any recommendations for me, that would be very helpful thanks!
-Kevin "

Kaplan's book is pretty good. It has all the relevant info in the Barrons book without the Barrons filler. The Princeton Review practice test had a lot of questions with content and specific facts similar to the one on the test, as was this case with the World History exam.

By Moreau1985 (Moreau1985) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

1754: Albany Plan of Union - for defense fails and shows disunity of colonies

1754-1763: The French and Indian War
English Gov. Dunwittie has stock in Ohio Land Company sends George Washington to expel the French

By Moreau1985 (Moreau1985) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:32 pm: Edit

Thanks AP guy, I took one of barrons tests, and it seemed really hard to me, is the normal SAT II as hard?? I do pretty well in history, but I didn't know like half the questions on it, it was depressing.

By Dwayne_Hoover (Dwayne_Hoover) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

"1) Why was Anne Hutchinson banished? ..She questioned religion. " - APguy

I'm sorry but she did not question "religion"--that is a broad statement, she just disagreed abotu Puritan orthodoxy slightly.

Puritans were strict calvinists (believed in pre-destination) and she felt that people could be salvaged by moral actions and thinking..and by good-will, you would be sent to heaven, not if you were pre-destined to.

By Yehosh1 (Yehosh1) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

"The political cartoon of a women getting out of a limo and talking to bum about something...Demnstrated Reagan's attempt to end class differences. (guess)"

In my repsonse, i put that the cratoon reflected the cartoonists interpretation of the Reagan approach to poverty (ie he created the problem of homeless people existing)

By Penn2001 (Penn2001) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:21 pm: Edit

What was the immediate result of Lincoln getting elected?

By Penn2001 (Penn2001) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

Also... what was the map question with slavery... it was 1954 or 1961????

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

i put secession of 7 southern states, cuz thats what they were threatening to do if a republican got elected

By Penn2001 (Penn2001) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Damn.... its 1854 the map... messed that one up

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

o noooooo so many wrong now... i put 1850 for map :(

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:55 pm: Edit

>>I'm sorry but she did not question "religion"--that is a broad statement, she just disagreed abotu Puritan orthodoxy slightly. <<

No need to be sorry, I wasn't being specific, just trying to refresh everyone's memory of what the answer dealt with. Simply knowing something as broad as "Anne Hutchinson--Religion" would have allowed you to obtain the right answer using POE because none of the answer choices held a strong enough relation!

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

does anyone know for sure what the map one was with the dots??

By Aawesome (Aawesome) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

I thought it was pretty hard. There were some questions that were really obvious but some were very confusing and detail-oriented.

Here are my questions:
* About women and what they did not participate in.. can't remember the exact question but the answer choices were like lynching, abolition, temperance movement etc.. I think I got that wrong.

* Reagan and the cartoon. What is the answer?

* About the Pawhatan Conferederacy, what was the question? I don't remember the exact question but I just put Iroquis

I should have more questions... still thinking..

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

"In my repsonse, i put that the cratoon reflected the cartoonists interpretation of the Reagan approach to poverty (ie he created the problem of homeless people existing) "

Yeah, that was one of the other choices I was stuck on. When I saw an answer pertaining to the difference of wealth between the rich and poor (the classes) and noted that this cartoon was supposed to represent something under Reagan, I remembered his theory of economics; or "reaganomics." It basically sugested the the prosperity of the top of society would "trickle down" to the workers and the poor at the bottom. I saw a greater correlation between Reaganomics and that cartoon than any other choice. I wouldn't rule out your choice though...

By Andrew (Andrew) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

I thought the Indian Confederaton was the five tribes you know like what is it? Sioux, Mohawk, Oneida, and all them? Is that right?? I hope so. The cartoon was about his insensitivity to the plight of the poor(I think that was the phrasing), that was easy. I hope we all did well, I'm worried now.

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:07 pm: Edit

"What was the immediate result of Lincoln getting elected? "

Didnt take the test but the answer would be the South's cessesion

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

I put his insensitivity to the plight of the poor. Isn't that what you could garner from the cartoon?
5 civilized tribes were choctaws creeks cherokees, ect, i put that too but i looked back on it and i beleive that that answer is incorrect

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:15 pm: Edit

"The cartoon was about his insensitivity to the plight of the poor(I think that was the phrasing), that was easy. I hope we all did well, I'm worried now. "

Really? I know the fact itself is true, however, the one about class societies is as well and it seems to relate to the cartoon more closely. The cartoon showed a rich woman in a limo talking to a bum on the street. Rich to poor.

Also, the woman I don't beleive showed any insensitive plight towards the poor (or the bum).

Also I read this in my Kaplan book:

"Income Disparities:
Everyone did not suffer. Income distribution became increasingly skewed: The income of the poorest fifth of the population declined nearly 10 percent while that of the richest fifth increased more than 15 percent."

I'm honestly leaning towards the class society answer here, but am still not sure...

By Tenaciouselle (Tenaciouselle) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:16 pm: Edit

I thought the map on the free/slave/popular sovereignty states was a reflection of 1850 because of the Compromise of 1850 and the imbalance of the slave vs free states. (There were 16 free and 15 slave)

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:20 pm: Edit

i thought that the person was saying "o yes i love to go to camping all the time" (speaking to the bums) and i thought that would imply that reagan took the poors plight lightly, thus showing insensitivity (by the way, i didnt even notice it was a woman! for some reason, i thought it was reagan! im def. going crazy)

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:20 pm: Edit

For the Native American one...

(From Kaplan)

"Early 1600s- Establishment of Iroquois League (this was before Europe)

IROQUOIS LEAGUE- The Iroquois League was an alliance of 5 Native American tribes in central New York State who spoke related languages. In the 1600s, sachems (chiefs) made decisions for the 12,000 members. A Patriarchal society by nature, women nonetheless had the power to nominate candidates to the tribal council and remove corrupt leaders.

By Aawesome (Aawesome) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

"(by the way, i didnt even notice it was a woman! for some reason, i thought it was reagan! im def. going crazy)"

Me too. I thought the woman was Reagan. The print was kind of bad, I couldn't read anything written on it.

To the native american one, what was the exact question?

By Tenaciouselle (Tenaciouselle) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:27 pm: Edit

Starbryst, that's exactly what I thought also. I'm still clinging on to some hope though.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

Good point, Starbyrst. I'm so confused on that one. I'm not sure which is right now, but I also have to keep in mind the Princeton Review says the SAT never "criticizes our forebearers". Whatever, I could keep trying to figure out what the answer is but we will never find out anyway, and it will only impact our score by -.25 points!

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Aawesome-

Q: Which indian group was allied before europeans came?

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

yeah the woman/Reagan (haha) was def. saying "Oh I love camping too." which is why i threw out hte answer with reagans treatment of protestors camping on his lawn-too obvious/silly

By Aawesome (Aawesome) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

oh I just remembered another question.

It was asking about the Native Americans in the woodlands in North America..

the answer choices were like they already were hunting with horses, grew maize and other vegetables etc..

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:41 pm: Edit

i put domesticated maize

By Tenaciouselle (Tenaciouselle) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

I said they grew maize and other vegetables.

By Aawesome (Aawesome) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

If the question were "Which indian group was allied before europeans came?" then I'm pretty sure that it was the Iroquois Confederacy.

My American Pageant book says:
"Long before the crowned heads of Europe turned their eyes and their dreams of empire toward the New World, a great military power had emerged in the Mohawk Valley of what is now New York State. The Iroquois Confederacy, dubbed by whiltes the "League of Iroquois", bound together five Indian nations ...."

By Tenaciouselle (Tenaciouselle) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:43 pm: Edit

What about the map on the free/slave/popular sovereignty states?

By Apguy (Apguy) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:46 pm: Edit

"If the question were "Which indian group was allied before europeans came?" then I'm pretty sure that it was the Iroquois Confederacy."

Yep, see my quote above about this also. It is described exactly as it was on the test, established in the "early 1600s" before Europeans and was the only confederacy or "alliance" I can see on the timeline before Jamestown. I'm almost 100% sure this is the answer. Sucks too, I put down Powhatan.

By Aawesome (Aawesome) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:47 pm: Edit

The map was America in 1854. I put 1850 (arrgh) because I thought Kansas Nebraska Act was issued in 1850. The map was clearly showing the outcome of kansas Nebraska Act.

By Dwayne_Hoover (Dwayne_Hoover) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

to refresh my memory, before 1854, kansas and nebraska was unsettled territory and not to be determined by popular sovereignty? by 1854, the KN act invalidated the 1820 compromise by "allowing" slavery if the vote passed --led to bleeding kansas, john brown, and the end of the free-soil party......cool beans..

as you can see, i'm prepping for the AP test.

By Tenaciouselle (Tenaciouselle) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

Which president was known for the spoils system?

By Aawesome (Aawesome) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:07 pm: Edit

Umm.. that was kinda easy: Andrew Jackson

By Tenaciouselle (Tenaciouselle) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

I'm just trying to think of the questions on the test...

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

I wish i could take another sat II history right now, I have learned a great deal just from this post

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:34 pm: Edit

so u could get an 800 instead of what, an 800? hoho my wit amazes me. im sure u did awesome

By Ickyfoo (Ickyfoo) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 12:06 am: Edit

re: the cartoon.

it was reagan! i remember his face and his hair, he was wearing a suit too.

By Calidude31 (Calidude31) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:52 am: Edit

About the Indian question: I'm pretty sure it asked something like "Which of these groups of Native Americans abandoned tribal warfare in favor of a united"..something something..

I chose the Iruquois.

The map was 1854- Kansas/Nebraska Act was the telling point.

The Reagan cartoon showed his insensitivity to the poor - I thought that was Nancy Reagan, but I don't quite remember. She was clearly insensitive/ignorant because she said "Oh I love cmaping out too" or something like that... pure ignorance.

by the way- i checke dout a book from my school library by Petersons called SAT II history success and I spent 2 minutes looking through it with a friend and the first question we tried was the Woodlands Indians in the North- what did they have? And we had no idea, but the answer was established farming. How random was that- I woulda never thunk it.

I'm dumb I put Adams on the spoils system- I was thinking about the election controversy.

There was a cartoon with Stalin and Greece- I think that one was fairly easy.. don't remember the answer though.

Also- was tha question did Eisenhower build an Interstate Highway system?

What did the woman's progressive movement fail to achieve? I think I put some woman's club answer.. that question definitely sucked..

In general, how many did you guys leave blank? I left 1 out- the art shcool, but there were so many guesses I made base don 2 or 3 choices- damn why is it always like that?

Thanks guys

By Andrew (Andrew) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:07 am: Edit

If I am not right, the Iroqouis confederacy weren't peaceful. They just allied witht the Brits but they still fought ettlers and stuff in many instances so how would they be allied for a peaceful cause? Wasn't it five civilized tribes who had democratic governments, etc. I'm not sure but I don't think it could have been Iroquois nations. I'm probably wrong about that one but the one about the cartoon was definitely right.

By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:37 am: Edit

As this post grows longer, I get more answers wrong. I am sad :(

By Dwayne_Hoover (Dwayne_Hoover) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:03 am: Edit

can someone explain the spoils system to me, i am yet to find a book that explains it succinctly...

By Sandersan (Sandersan) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 12:44 pm: Edit

what was the answer to the brinksmanship cartoon question? was it about the arms race? i said that it had to do wti the cold war i think (if there was an option like that)

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:27 pm: Edit

"can someone explain the spoils system to me, i am yet to find a book that explains it succinctly... "

It was a policy that Jackson used that rotated officeholders to keep Democrats in office

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:33 pm: Edit

yes when Jackson was elected president, he fired 900 or so Republican officeholders to instate Democratic ones

By Apguy (Apguy) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

...Yeah. He gave jobs to his supporters even though many of them weren't well qualified.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

...Yeah. He gave jobs to his supporters even though many of them weren't well qualified.

By Andrew (Andrew) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Yeah for the brink cartoon I put arms race cause Dulles was on the one guy pulling him back (was that supposed to look like Abe Lincoln = democracy?). I hope that was right. Crossed fingers.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:36 pm: Edit

yeah that seems to be the consensus

By Jason817 (Jason817) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

the last five posts start with 'yeah' or 'yes'

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

better than No :)

By Apguy (Apguy) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Yeah

By Andrew (Andrew) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:47 pm: Edit

Wow way to be observant! You should get an 800 just for that shouldn't you?

By Apguy (Apguy) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

>>Yeah for the brink cartoon I put arms race cause Dulles was on the one guy pulling him back (was that supposed to look like Abe Lincoln = democracy?). I hope that was right. Crossed fingers.<<

Here is some info on the guy who may have potentially been "Dulles." It has to do with the Cold War meaning that the arms race choice was probably right.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cold.war/kbank/profiles/foster.dulles/

By Andrew (Andrew) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Yeah looks good, thanks for that. I just felt like continuing the yeah trend - it's good.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

i believe the man about to fall of the cliff was Uncle Sam

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:58 pm: Edit

questions:

Which did the women's progressive movement not achieve?

some choices were
right to vote,
right to own property,
etc.

Sometime after Reconstruction, with election of whatever year, the president was NOT forced to do which of the following?

some choices were
remove troops from south
appoint southern leader to cabinet <--answer?

By Andrew (Andrew) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:02 pm: Edit

I selected appoint a cabinet leader because they definitely agreed to end millitary reconstruction.

And for the women one I put women's suffrage because they didn't acheive that in the progressive era right? All the others I was pretty sure they got.

Thanks Starbyrst, right I had trouble remembering who the hell it was. Duh Uncle Sam, what a bastard he is? Haha jk.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:04 pm: Edit

it was equal rights amendment for the womens one, we still don't have that today,
i believe the second one was help blacks get an education. I don't know this for sure but its logic. After the deal between hayes and whoever, hayes had to forget about hte blacks. after this election blacks rights were forgotten about. and im sure southern leaders would not be going to hayes "yo give the people that we hate and have just enslaved for hundreds of years an education"

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:10 pm: Edit

yep im right i think--
"he appointed a former Confederate general David Key as postmaster general"
"he removed last troops from s. carolina and louisiana"
nothing mentioned about giving blacks education
--american nation textbook

By Andrew (Andrew) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:14 pm: Edit

Okay, are you sure he appointed him postmaster general? I hope you're wrong cause then I'm right. Haha I am so bad. Well looks like one question wrong so far, lets see what else I can get wrong.

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:17 pm: Edit

im not sure if he was REQUIRED to appoint a southern cabinet member... that seems unconstitutional

By Andrew (Andrew) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Yeah same, I find it a bad question all around because he provided blacks with education under Freedman's Bureau so...but he did appoint the postmaster general. It would have been unconstitutional but so was the AAA of FDR's new deal.

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:25 pm: Edit

it was a compromise behind the scenes in washington, nothing was required, but he nonetheless did it.
you guys have forced me to whip out the quote
"Like all compromises, this agreement was not entirely satisfactory; like most, it was not honored in every detail. Hayes recalled the last troops from South Carolina and Louisiana in April. He appointed a former Confederate general, David M. Key of Tennessee, postmaster general and delegated to him the congenial task of finding southernerners willing to serve their country as officials of a Republican administration."

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:29 pm: Edit

the freedmen's bureau was est. in 1865 which is b4 the compromise of 1877, and after Hayes became President, Rep. forgot about their mission to help blacks completely, because thats what the compromise forced them to do

By Starbyrst (Starbyrst) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:31 pm: Edit

the freedmen's bureau was est. in 1865 which is b4 the compromise of 1877 and was not est, by hayes, and after Hayes became President, Rep. forgot about their mission to help blacks completely, because thats what the compromise forced them to do. this is when the backtracking occured, after the initial crusade mentality to help blacks

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:46 pm: Edit

yeah thats correct

By Apguy (Apguy) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:33 pm: Edit

I can't remember if this was on a practice test or the actual exam but I think there was a question on what the Iran-Contra affair was. That was self explanatory.

By Erika (Erika) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

I didn't read all of the posts here because honestly I might shoot myself if I do. That test was effing hard. I got so far as people talking about the cliff cartoon, and all I know is that it had to do with brinkmanship, the policy created by Dulles after WWII (during Cold War era) that said we should push other countries to the brink of war without ever fighting, so countries withdraw out of fear of actual violence. Not even sure what the options were on that question, but I remember that none of them really made any sense. I suppose if one did in fact apply to the arms race that'd be it.

Yeah about the Iran-Contra affair question, that had to do with why Carter wasn't elected. If my class had gone anywhere beyond WWII I would've felt a bit better. We did cover post-WWII through Nixon in one day though.

Has anyone taken the US History SAT II before and May 3 was their second time...meaning, was this one comparatively harder or easier?

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 12:23 am: Edit

no but i have taken practice exams and this one was a bit harder

By Apguy (Apguy) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Hey guys, do you happen to know when our scores will be online?

By Me1 (Me1) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 04:28 pm: Edit

I believe for paying it's officially the 16th, but generally they put up the scores around 4pm the day before (so most likely it would be the 15th).

By Apguy (Apguy) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Okay, thanks!

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

ya and if you're pacific timezone probly 1 PM =P

By Apguy (Apguy) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Scores are up. I guess the curve wasn't as generous as I was hoping: 600.

By Dubiastic (Dubiastic) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 05:57 pm: Edit

730...I got a 800 on the practice so it was obiviously a hard test!!!

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Thursday, May 15, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page