Official SATII biology thread

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Official SATII biology thread
By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:32 am: Edit

lets discuss!

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:44 am: Edit

were the rates in the NADP questions directly proportional or inversely proportional- the more light the more photosynthesis but the less blue so I did not know what they were refering too?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:07 am: Edit

i put directly proportional

but now you made me doubt.

GRRR i was so distracted!!!!!!

did u ppl think it was hard? i found it harder than more practice ap tests! i dunno why!!! GRRR im so mad with myself now

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:12 am: Edit

I put directly proportional too, maybe we are correct!

Did you think that the photosynthesis diagrams and color correspondings to wavelengths were difficult to read?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:30 am: Edit

yehhh, kind of. they were kindda confusing. but there were these easy questions that just like --- GRR i did so badddd!!

What was the answer for that posterior pituitary question, huh? did u skip any? I skipped like 3... and was un-sure for like 20... i dunno why! GRRR

And then, that last question for Bio-M (Did you take Bio-M or Bio-E?) -- what did u put?

By Saera (Saera) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:41 am: Edit

Hi...I'd really be interested in hearing more about the SATII Biology...I'm considering signing up for the June 7 test, but I'm not sure yet. I took Biology Honors (Highest offered at my school) this year, but I'm not sure they covered everything thoroughly enough for me to do as well as I want to (700+). The way I see it, I have to options:

A) I could sign up and take it this year, cramming and going over stuff on my own that we didn't go over

or

B) Don't take it, and just take the Chemistry one next year...although the situation might be exactly the same.

I'm leaning more toward taking it right now, but I'd really like some advice on what to study and how to prepare...I'm going to try and get one of the SAT II Biology prep books if I can, but I'd like to do as much as possible to prepare...

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:46 am: Edit

Gabypa...
I think i put hypothalamus?Was that a choice?

Last question on M I left blank-only one

Does anybody on earth know what a cephalothorax is!!!

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:47 am: Edit

well, i took AP bio this year and normally think AP bio is really easy. but i took this test today and im completely tired and cranky and thus i didnt do as well as i thought. i think bio is easier than chemistry, so you might just take it this year. oh yeah, i didnt study for the test, so you might as well do that, so that you can be sure to reach your target score.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:49 am: Edit

i was gonna put hypothalamus! I wasnt sure tho -- cuz it said that hormones secreted by the posterior pituitary are SYNTHETIZED where? and i know the hypothalamus STIMULATES the secretions of the pituitary, but i wasnt sure if it actually synthetizes them. for that last one i was gonna skip but ended up putting D.

cephalotorax is what spiders have - a head merged with the thorax.

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:13 pm: Edit

Gabypa, I ended up putting d also (thylmus), because none of the other choices worked for the hypothalamus section. I have a question, what was the answer to the first question that asked you to pick the animal species that had cephalotorax? (I think I put scorpion). Was their even a choice of scorpions?

Also, I was really confused on the question that stated that a certain type of tree is found with different heights in different Islands, and asked for which of the following account for the differences in height. I was confused about the answer choice that said that phenotype is dependant on the environment and the genotype (I think I got this particular question wrong).

Also, for the question that had protein/water seperated by a semipermeable membraine, was the answer, the water will diffuse through the membrane to the protein side by osmosis?

Also, to everybody, did you think that this test was generally easier or harder than the practice tests that you normally take? What do you think the curve will be (hopefully somewhat generous :)

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Also, a certain question asked of what production would we measure to measure the rate of photosynthesis. Was the answer oxygen?

Also, a certain question said that chlorplasts when left out of the cell for long periods of time start to "fail" and asked us to cite some info from our experience that support this hypothesis. Was the answer that the rate of photosynthesis was more rapid in the beginning than later (indicating that the chlorplast may not be as efficient). The other answer choices, such as very bright light causes a greater photosynthetic rate, did not make any sense..

Any comments would be greatly appreciated

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:46 pm: Edit

The hormones released by the posterior pituitary are actually synthesized in the hypothalamus. They migrate along nerve fibers to the posterior pituitary, and are stored until stimulated to be released into the general circulation.

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Anyone know what the bicarbonate radicle does within the body? I believe I had put that it speeds up aerobic respiration...but I'm not sure whether that's right. Also, I agree with directly proportional too - by general theory of photosynthesis - the greater the light, the greater the Oxygen produced...hence they're directly proportional, or follow the form:

light intensity / oxygen = c

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:52 pm: Edit

Futuredoctor: I actually was referring with that "D" to the last question of Bio-M, the one with Na+, K+, Cl- and stuff. The cephalotorax one was scorpion, yes. That one of the trees was confusing! I totally agree. I put one option that acknowledged two of the possibilities that were given, one being that phenotype dependent on genotype and environment and stuff... then for the protein one i put the same one as you.... and theeeen--- lets se...

i thought i was less comfortable (let's say it this way, since i dunno if it was me of this test was actually confusing) with this one than with the AP bio practice tests that we took in school! (1994,1999) ... so... :-S :-S

I also hope the curve's generous! Did you think it was hard?

Oh, and for the photosynthesis question, yeah, the answer was oxyhen. And i think i put the same answer as you for that chloroplast question...

Let's hope we're right!!!!

By Hipstertapioca (Hipstertapioca) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:52 pm: Edit

oh man. i definetly have no confidence in my score being over 500. i do well on practice tests and am currently in ap so you would think i could handle it, but no. i don't want to cancel though maybe i should. just to clarify - if i dont designate that i took an sat 2 and the score colleges will not get the information unless i send it to them? please reassure me that this is correct.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:54 pm: Edit

miscanon, i put that answer, too --- when i looked at that answer, i said to myslef: HA! this is supposed to be here to trick me! (( I dunno why, haha, im lately starting to personify tests since AP week is practically on already))

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:55 pm: Edit

haha that's pretty funny....I thought this test was significantly harder than even barron's practice SAT II bios

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:56 pm: Edit

hipstertapioca (Is that tapioca for that brazilian dish?):

Anyway. I feel exactly like you - :-(

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:56 pm: Edit

which has tube feet? - does hydra?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:59 pm: Edit

I KNOW, miscanon! I agree. Well, i didnt buy any practice tests for this, but i do know that barron's is usually harder in everything--and still i think this one was hard, and if not hard, at least it was harder than others. i took the one in that sat ii real tests book, and i got an eaaasy 800. im not sure about this one AT ALL! :-( :'-(

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 12:59 pm: Edit

Generally what are the curves like? Can you people please predict a curve... Generally, did you people think this test was harder or easier than normal?

I didn't think this test was bad except for the select few questions.

Finally, animals with notocords, etc are cordates , am I right?

Good luck everbody

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:00 pm: Edit

it was the sea urchin with the tube feet. i dunno if i put that tho!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:01 pm: Edit

Yes futuredoctor, they are chordates.

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:01 pm: Edit

The organism with the tube feet is a starfish and the bicarbonate ion serves as a ph buffer (I read it in my review book).

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:02 pm: Edit

I meant to say that the sea urchins have tube feet.

Please people, generally what are the curves like? Can you people please predict a curve... Generally, did you people think this test was harder or easier than normal?

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Also, a certain question said that chlorplasts when left out of the cell for long periods of time start to "fail" and asked us to cite some info from our experience that support this hypothesis. Was the answer that the rate of photosynthesis was more rapid in the beginning than later (indicating that the chlorplast may not be as efficient). The other answer choices, such as very bright light causes a greater photosynthetic rate, did not make any sense..

By Tiatemeh (Tiatemeh) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:04 pm: Edit

hi, i don't know about the whole score thing. I just wanted to reasure you all. When I came out of the SAT Bio-e test last year, i was almost in tears. It was the end of sophomore year and I had only taken honors biology. I absurdly upset, but by some miricle i found out i did really well two weeks later. So, you probably didn't do a badly as you think. Anyway, someone asked about how to study: I just read through the entire Barons book the night before (yeah, i'm a chronic procrastinator) I highly recomend the SAT II bio barons. It is pretty clear, and it has A LOT of information in it. However, you may want to study further ahead of time. If you are like me, and have a good short term memory (but a really bad long term one) then study clost to the test day and you will do fine. But, if you don't, then I would suggest reading the material several times over the course of a month or so. THis may be more affective for you, and will actually allow you to absorb more of the information, if you ever need it later in life. I've been looking at all these bio posts, and realize I don't remember a thing! oh well.

By Hipstertapioca (Hipstertapioca) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:06 pm: Edit

i dont even think there was a choice of starfish, i put urchin instead.

the one topic i have lots of difficulty with was purposely on the test to spite me. honestly, when have there been so many animal characteristcs and nonsense questions?!

lets just get drunk and quit school...

ps. i didn't know tapioca was brazilian, in any case i LOVE it. hipster is from seinfeld - kramer is the "hipster doofus"

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:13 pm: Edit

oh yahhh --- hipster! Hehe. I also love tapioca :-D. I live in brazil, that's how i know, altho in the beginning i used to hate tapioca, haha. I'm peruvian, so, maybe that's why.

I put urchin, too (I think. I hope, i mean)

Those animal characteristic questions ---ugh! why did they have to be in the very beginning! they totally brought me down and made me unsure about everything. GROAR.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:14 pm: Edit

tiatemeh - what did u get?

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:14 pm: Edit

Please people, generally what are the curves like? Can you people please predict a curve... Generally, did you people think this test was harder or easier than normal?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:21 pm: Edit

Wow, futuredoctor, ure insistent!

if i would know, i would tell you. i actually want to know that, too.

and as i said before, i dunno if were right, but i put down the same answer as you did for that chloroplast one.

By Tiatemeh (Tiatemeh) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:25 pm: Edit

Gaypa~
i got a 790. But, at around 12 that night, I took a practice barons test and got.... well, i think i stoped grading it because it was so depressing. i donno, maybe i was just a lucky guesser, or maybe the test got harder? Or maybe you all did better than you think. Good luck with your scores!

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Thanks Gabypa,

The reason that I am so insistant is that no body is answering my question! What is the curve like generally on this type of test? Generally, did you people think this test was harder or easier than normal?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

wow! Ohhh, you gave me hope - thanks! But dont worry, ill keep being unsure, hehe.... i think tests might have got harder--- ahhh, i dunno what to think. thanks for the info, tho! :-D

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:33 pm: Edit

1. Does anyone remember that one that asked about the enzyme acting on a substrate and it gave a chemical equation? CO2 & H20 were on the left (reactants) and I put those as the substrates...what'd you all put?

2. Also, what was that G & C ONE I SPENT 10 MINUTES ON IT....it asked why G & C - containing DNA strands had a high resistance to changing due to heat...I believe I settled with choice C--because there are 3 hydrogen bonds vs. 2.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

well, futuredoctor, according to tiatemeh's experience, let's better think it's generous.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:39 pm: Edit

yes, it was answer C for that G-C one.

and for that other one, i think i either skipped it cuz it was taking me long or i either put CO2&H20 but then i even thought about putting hemoglobin cuz i was truly in the stars -- haha, i cant concentrate.

By Wawalu223 (Wawalu223) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:49 pm: Edit

These are the answers I put. I put CO2 and H2O as the substrates. The tubed feet I put see urchins. Butterfly for antenna, gills for crayfish, and scorpian for the cetathorax. I don't know if they're rite. Anywayz, I thought this test was pretty hard so the curve will probably be good. KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!!!!!

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:50 pm: Edit

futuredoctor, i have the answer for your curve question. the info is included in every sat or sat iis results letter than one gets sent -- i mean, in that scores sheet. if you look in the middle pages of the thingy, youll see that theres like score distribution and how they do the curves -- for instance, for math 2c, everyone that scores in the highest 9% gets an 800 -- for writing, everyone that has scored in that specific test date in the highest 3% gets an 800 -- got it?

the problem is that i know that exists,yet i seem unable to find my scores sheet. therefore i dunno the exact results for bio m.

if you have yours tho, check it there.

By Rapture329 (Rapture329) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:52 pm: Edit

Hi everyone... I'm a junior and I just took the test today. I took regular Bio as a freshman and I'm in AP now. I didn't take the test as a freshman, but I took it last year because there was score choice and I just wanted to see what I would get. I hadn't taken the class in a year and I thought the questions last year were a lot easier and a lot less specific than the ones on today's test. I wasn't expecting half the test to be on monera, annelids, etc...
I put CO2 and H2O as the substrates as well because I figured the enzyme would be working on them to produce the products.

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:53 pm: Edit

Wawalu, you are right on all of the answers...

Good job

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:55 pm: Edit

Out of curiosity, what do you folks think thyat score would 3-5 questions wrong on this test be?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

lets hope for the best - when do we get results?
wawalu, i got those same answers. i dunno if i actually put down the answer for that sea urchin one cuz i wasnt sure -- was that #4? if it was, then i didnt. GRR

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:08 pm: Edit

futuredoctor, ull be fiiine. let us worry. :-D

if youve previously taken 2's, then do check that thing that i told you. i think that it's 97 percentil for SAT II Bio 800's.... check.

By Rapture329 (Rapture329) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:17 pm: Edit

Does anyone remember the questions with the types of trees... It was a chart about respiration and net energy...

By Wawalu223 (Wawalu223) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Hey Rapture,

I remember the trees. The stablized community was the salt marsh. The one that had the highest productivity was the alfalfa. Net community productivity is the difference between gross productivity and auto+heterotrophic respiration. What did you guys put for the chemoreceptor question. I put retina. I don't know if it's rite.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

i put olfactory gustatory something

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 02:54 pm: Edit

retina would be photoreceptors, right?

By Wawalu223 (Wawalu223) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:09 pm: Edit

I think the question was which one didn't use chemoreceptors. Cuz muscles and olfactory both do????

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:10 pm: Edit

which one didnt? CRAP haha

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:14 pm: Edit

No, the question asked which one used chemorecepters, AND figures out the concentration/type of substance it is. The retina is a chemoreceptor, however it has nothing to do with figuring out the chemical makeup. But, the nose and taste buds have microvilli which actually respond to the concentration/makeup of the substance.

Can someone please tell me if I am right?

Also, for the question that asked which of the following do not utilize countercurrent exchange, was the answer lungs? (In know that gills utilize this system...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Bump............

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 04:25 pm: Edit

you're right.

By Tweaks (Tweaks) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

That's correct; the lungs do not utilize countercurrent exchange. The lungs branch off into aveoli and they are just "there," with no current-based movement of air inside the lungs.

As far as I can tell, *most* things are chemoreceptors. They pretty much all accept neural impulses via a chemical transmitter. However, muscle cells can't differentiate between different kinds of impulses. The retina, well ... there are two kinds of cells; one detects light, the other detects different forms of color, so I suppose the retina as a whole can have detect different qualities of light in the same way that the overall tongue can taste different flavors, though individual taste buds are specialized. The difference between the nose and mouth is mostly elementary; the mouth detects water-based solutions, while the nose mostly detects aerial mixtures. Because they are so similar, they effectively "cancel each other out" (ie, they're the same, and both can't be right therefore both are wrong). So, between mouth/nose/retina/muscle, I believe muscle would be the right answer, and because no one has mentioned a fifth answer, I assume it's a giveaway.

I didn't take the test, so I'm not sure exactly what the question asked for :) . I should get back to finishing my practice tests (was assigned 240 practice problems this weekend).

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:21 pm: Edit

I still don't agree that it is muscle. I believe the answer choices were

A) Eyes
B) Nose, and Mouth (olfactory, etc)
C) Fish muscle
D) ????
E) ????

I think that B is the best answer, I don't understand your explanation Tweaks.

Also, is the curve for the SAT 2 biology exam really brutal? I was looking at the "official guide to the SAT 2 subject tests" (published in 95), and the curve for the particular practice test is as follows (keep in mind that it was out of 95 questions at the time) ...

Raw Score Scaled Score

95 800
94 790
93 780
92 770
91 770
90 760
89 760
88 750
87 750
86 740
85 730
84 720
74 670
64 620

The curve seems to drop pretty quickly! In all the barrons and kaplan practice tests, the curve was much more lenient. What do you guys think the curve on this test will be (forgive my stubborness :)

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:52 pm: Edit

Bump....

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:55 pm: Edit

Bump....

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 05:56 pm: Edit

well, the curve for that SAT II bio test i took (the one in the Real SAT IIs book) was like you could still get 800 with a 74 raw score. Not faaaaair -- that test was so EASY, i got such an easy 800, but this one is gonna be like 500, i think. with that in mind there are two options:

-since that test was easy and this test was harder, let's hope that the curve will be much more generous.

-BUT, everyone says those REal Practice SAT IIs are pretty unrealistic. so i dunno what to tell you. :-(

Oh, and Tweaks, i also didnt get ur explanation. I join Futuredoctor in his choosing of B as the best answer.

Here's somemthing i found in Google:

"Chemoreceptors expressed in taste, olfactory and male reproductive tissues.

Thomas MB, Haines SL, Akeson RA.

Children's Hospital Research Foundation, Developmental Biology Department, Cincinnati, OH 45229, USA.

We have identified three genes encoding previously uncharacterized chemoreceptors expressed in rat sensory and reproductive tissues using a reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction strategy. Degenerate oligonucleotides designed from conserved sequences in the rat olfactory receptor gene family were used to amplify candidate receptor gene products expressed in taste tissue. Sequence analysis of three distinct clonal isolates revealed that "

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:12 pm: Edit

the sea urchin also was the one with two cell types right (I remember it having a pseudocoelum...?)?

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

What was the one about two "distinct" layers of cells?

I put sea urchin...I remember that phylum Cnidaria have a pseudocoelmate body structure...what do you guys think?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:15 pm: Edit

nope, that's hydra. sea urchin is a deuterostome.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:16 pm: Edit

sea urchin is echinodermata.

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:49 pm: Edit

There was a question that said that evolutionary relationships between various crustaceons were done based on the rrna. Was the answer to one of the questions, that the relationships were taken from the similarities in the nucleotide sequence? The other answer choices did not make sense.

Gabypa, I am sure you did great. It looks like for the most part, you got the same answers as me. What were the questions that YOU were having trouble with?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 06:59 pm: Edit

for that rrna one, futuredoctor, i put the same one as you did, too.

i dunno what to think. im worried and not-that-worried at the same time, now. i only remember i felt REEALLY bad when i came out of the testing room. maybe cuz i expected some joke test like the practice one i took - then i felt a mixture of regret for not having studied for this specific test at all -- soo...i dunno. let's see in three weeks, two weeks?

I think i skipped three and then i marked a whole bunch of asnwers that i wasnt sure of. some were tricky, like the ones you mentioned before. oh yah, and what about those few in the last part of the bio-m exam? those na+, cl- and stuff?

The ones i skipped were : question 4, which i dun remember exactly haha, then that posterior pituitary question, and then that substrate question, i think. i dunno what else.... then mostly the others were like guesses some times. i mean, not guess, they were all product of POE normally, and im kindda used to see the answer right the way...so....

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:08 pm: Edit

did you guys put CO2 & H20 for substrate question?

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:11 pm: Edit

So the general concensus is that this test was much harder than most other SAT II Bios? Also...has anyone done an official SAT II Bio before and also did this one? What did you think of it..?

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I put scorpion for the cephalothorax like you all did, but I think we all got that question wrong. I looked it up on the net and a crayfish definetly has a cephalothrax whatever that is!

What did you guys get on the series of questions that were about the relationships between the groups and the rna? I thought those were tricky.

Also, is urea organic? The question was like which organic thing is least likely to be reabsorbed.

Was phylum the answer to one of the questions?

By Andrew (Andrew) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Phylum was the answer to that one question about dogs and cats or whatever.

Urea was the answer to organic not reabsorbed back.

At least that's what I got. I am positive about both though so...whatever. I hope the curve is good. Are you sure about the cephalothorax, thorax-roots are usually for invertebrates, crayfish is a chordate. Let's all hope you aren't right about that - for our sake. :)

By Rapture329 (Rapture329) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:03 pm: Edit

Miscanon- I took the Bio SAT II last year in June even though I had taken the course the year before. I found this test harder and I took AP this year...
Was the cats and dogs question phylum?

By Andrew (Andrew) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:34 pm: Edit

Yeah it had to have been phylum cause it said which one did the two have to be in - it would be phylum cordata aloing with humans and all other vertebrates

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:43 pm: Edit

Anyone know what those last answers for the last few questions of the last part of the M section were????

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:44 pm: Edit

Yes, the cats and dogs question was phylum.

Good news everybody! crayfish is not a cordate, it is a crustaceon. Both the scorpion and crayfish are arthropods, the scorpion is an arachnid (a subsegment of arthropods, and the crayfish is a crustaceon. It says in my review book that Cephalothorax is the forward section of an Arachnid body, made up of the head and thorax joined together. (scorpions and spiders are arachnids, so we are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Gabypa, for the last few questions, I just used some common sense. For the minerals, in which the concentrations differ greatly, the cell must be using active transport to keep the gradient. For the last question that asked why this is being done, it has to do with the travelling of action potentials down the neurons...(therefore the correct choice is the one that said it is necessary for a process). Am I right people?

Also, there was a question that showed the concentration of various substances (proteins, etc), in the glomerulus filtrate, etc... Was urea the one substance that was not reabsorbed into the filtrate? Also, am I right in marking that proteins are too large to enter the kidney. Also, for people who are not diabetics, glucose is not lost in their blood. Am I right?

Finally, there was one question that had a hypothesis that motor neurons are involved in the relase of bile in mice. The question asked which of the following could be used to help support this hypothesis. Was the correct answer the one that said, we should snip the neurons leading to the gallbladdar?(none of the other questions made sense)

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Bump....

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Do you guys remember the question about how to test weather something was due to a neural response or something like that

I think I put A- cut the motor neurons leading to it. What do you guys think

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Bump.....

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

I put violet for the last question on the photosynthesis experiment

I also put yellow on one of the questions before that

Na/K is a gradient used by the cell (That was an answer) if you are curiouse, this gradient is used in the nervouse system.

Also, the two that had the highest concentration in the cell are the ones that would be pumped into the cell (the other two had concentrations lower in the cell so this would not be active and the other choice the concentrations in and out were equal)

I hope you guys are getting the same stuff as me!!

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:00 pm: Edit

i also put motor neurons, and i also put to cut neurons leading to the gallbladder.

for the last few questions -- i got all of those, too, but what about the LAST VERY LAST one?

Then i also put urea, glucose, and protein as u guys did.

Oh, PLEASE, anyone that has old score sheets with previous SAT II grades (Those that they send to you via snail mail)... could you PLEASE check in the back of the thingy whats the percentage divisions for bio m??

thanks!

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

The percentage is 99 for M and 99+ for E for 800
750- 96E/91M

This does not really tell anything about the scale though

Gabypa do you remember what you put for the RNA comparisons section?

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:06 pm: Edit

The percentage is 99 for M and 99+ for E for 800
750- 96E/91M

This does not really tell anything about the scale though

Gabypa do you remember what you put for the RNA comparisons section?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:14 pm: Edit

yeah, but what was that LAST one - something like which ones have to be manipulated or pumped forth and back in order to maintain a gradient....

I did put the same answers as y'all did for the rest, tho....hehe

For that LAST question i put D - i dunno why! itwas Na, CL, K, and something else - i just put all the ones that were not equal in and out of the cell cuz i remember that it's like vital to move around both ions that are in and out of the cell in order to maintain the certain balanced level (that's what the refractory part of the action potential of a stimulus transduction in the nervous system is all about).

what do u ppl think? i was gonna put first just the one option that had two of those ions. then i changed it! GRRR

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:15 pm: Edit

i put the rna sequence.

99 and 99+ for bio??? WOOOOOAHHH --- (hopes crushed)

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:16 pm: Edit

That was the only question on the test I left blank because I had no clue.

Why are you so worried? It seems like you did really well.

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Testtaker, generally, what is the saled score that is equivalent to a 800? 780?...

I had all the same answers as you except that, for the statement that you made..." the two that had the highest concentration in the cell are the ones that would be pumped into the cell (the other two had concentrations lower in the cell so this would not be active and the other choice the concentrations in and out were equal)" I have to disagree with you in that, even for the ones that had concentrations lower in cell, it would be active (the cell is pumping the ions out...)

This was wrong in that 4 out of the 5 concentrations differed greatly from the interior of the cell to the exterior, therefore all 4 were using active transport. In fact, calcium was the only one that did not use active transport, because the concentrations were equal both in the cell and ouside of the cell...

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Testtaker, generally, what is the saled score that is equivalent to a 800? 780?...

I had all the same answers as you except that, for the statement that you made..." the two that had the highest concentration in the cell are the ones that would be pumped into the cell (the other two had concentrations lower in the cell so this would not be active and the other choice the concentrations in and out were equal)" I have to disagree with you in that, even for the ones that had concentrations lower in cell, it would be active (the cell is pumping the ions out...)

This was wrong in that 4 out of the 5 concentrations differed greatly from the interior of the cell to the exterior, therefore all 4 were using active transport. In fact, calcium was the only one that did not use active transport, because the concentrations were equal both in the cell and ouside of the cell...

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

Gabypa, you were right for the last question!!!!!!!!!!!1

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:19 pm: Edit

That could just mean that stupid people take it though. Because the percentiles for like Japanese are really high just because all the native speakers take it not because its super easy.

Do you remember what you put for the answers with the cladogram (is that what you call it?)

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

I said that the branching between scorpions and the other animal occured before something else... Also, I said that the relationships were based on the similarity in the gene sequences in the rna.

Testaker, I am pretty sure that you were wrong on the last question.

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

Futuredoctor I don't know about the scaled score equivalent because it was not published in my real SAT II book.

About that question, the question was:
Which of the ions would be pumped into the cell (not out) so I think I disagrea with your disagreal of me. There were two that were at higher concentrations inside the cell and only those would have to be pumped in. What does everyone else think?

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

The last question of the test I left blank-which question are you refering to?

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

The last question of the test I left blank-which question are you refering to?

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:28 pm: Edit

O sorry, not the last question, the one that you were refering to before. Also, can you please repeat that question.. (I think that the question simply asked what type (diffusion/active transport, etc), is being used to keep the concentration gradient.

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:29 pm: Edit

Hey guys, I think we should write to collegeboard because I looked on the internet and both a crayfish and a scorpion have a cephalothorax!

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:31 pm: Edit

Test taker, that one was before the last question. Theone Future Doctor and I are talking about is different. See above in my previous-previous post.

Futuredoctor, I HOPE ure right!!!!

Demmit, i was expecting an 800. REally doubt ill get it now, tho.

For the cladogram, what were the options? remind me plz.....

And now i also dunno what to think about the percentiles. i thought they kindda like give you an idea what you would get....ANyway...

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Testaker, the first question asked for the cephalothorax as well as some other criteria that I dont remember...

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:32 pm: Edit

Oh we are taking about two different questions:

The question you were refering too was right before the question I was talking about and I put diffusion (I don't remember the question)

The next question said, which of the following are pumped into the cell? For this I don't remember the two that it was but it was the two that were at a higher concentration in the cell.

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:36 pm: Edit

Gabypa, I don't even remember a question that test taker is asking: the two that had the highest concentration in the cell are the ones that would be pumped into the cell (the other two had concentrations lower in the cell so this would not be active and the other choice the concentrations in and out were equal)

Was there even such a question? I am confused

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:37 pm: Edit

O sorry, you are right testtaker, I just had a brainlapse!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

Testaker, the first question asked for the cephalothorax as well as some other criteria that I dont remember...

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:39 pm: Edit

Gabypa, why do you think you did poorly?

By Andrew (Andrew) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Sounds like Futuredoctor knows his stuff - I got like the same answers as you for almost everything. I don't know why I thought cray fish were chordata huess I mixed up my fish or something. Grrr anyway, K and MG are pumped into the cell I think. And then Na and Cl out right? What about the permeable membrane with the solution question. Did water flow out of the right into the left with soulte or what?? That was the only one that really tripped me up even though it seemed like basic stuff I just forgot. I hope someone can understand my gibberish question. We need to get this post to a hundred before I go to sleep. Woo hoo! Bio rocks my socks, not really.

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:41 pm: Edit

first question recreated:

Has tube feet- sea urchin
Has two layers of cells - hydra
has one pair of antena - buterfly
has gills - crayfish
has a cephalothorax - crayfish/scorpion

By Andrew (Andrew) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:42 pm: Edit

Oooh post 103! Aren't I so cool?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

whooohoo -- i got those. i didnt really mark the sea urchin one tho (durh me)

I think i did poorly cuz i wasnt SURE for like a 100. (and im damn used to get these ?s right! GRRRRRRRRR)

I still think i did poorly. Oh, and i skipped some. and im not even sure of what i did and did not do...and im kindda mad with myself cuz i didnt study and wanted to get an 800. so, GRR.

By Andrew (Andrew) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:49 pm: Edit

You could only choose one for the cephalothorax, yeah I checked and scorpion definetly has a cephalothorax so how could they have a double choice answer? (http://exoticpets.about.com/library/blscorpions.htm)
(http://www.lander.edu/rsfox/300crayfishLab.html)

So what the hell is up with that?
Are both choices just right? They better have not messed up.

By Andrew (Andrew) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:51 pm: Edit

Cheer up, you still might have done allright. I mean an 800 isn't everything. And doing bad on one test isn't the end of the world to use a cliche. Things could be worse right?

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:54 pm: Edit

I don't know, Andrew. I put scorpion but I really think this one may have had two answers. There could be two possibilities
a) we are overlooking something
b) they messed up and we should write to them and tell them before they mark US wrong

Did anybody but me notice the semi significant typo in the M section (you could still easily figure out what they were talking about- but you would think they could proofread the SATs!)

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 09:54 pm: Edit

I don't know, Andrew. I put scorpion but I really think this one may have had two answers. There could be two possibilities
a) we are overlooking something
b) they messed up and we should write to them and tell them before they mark US wrong

Did anybody but me notice the semi significant typo in the M section (you could still easily figure out what they were talking about- but you would think they could proofread the SATs!)

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:00 pm: Edit

i did!!! i did notice the typo!! we should denounce them for that! i also think we should write to them condemning their incapability to recognize the possibility of two answers!!!

And thanks for the cheering-up, Andrew.

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:03 pm: Edit

Where did you get that 74/80 = 800
Just curious

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

real sat IIs book.

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

I have that book as well and it only had 1/2 a test in it and no conversion chart?? What year is your book?

By Miscanon (Miscanon) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 10:54 pm: Edit

FOR THE CEPHALOTHORAX QUESTION-

If my memory serves me correctly, the question ALSO said "does not have antenna" - which would exclude crayfish...and thus, the answer must be the scorpion.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, May 03, 2003 - 11:09 pm: Edit

yeeeyyy - so scorpion wins!

testtaker, when i bought my real sat iis books i got this booklet thing with an official sat ii bio test. that's the one i took and got 800 with like a 78 raw score, i remember that you could get 800 (for bio m) with even a 74 raw score max.

By Andrew (Andrew) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:29 am: Edit

Sweet! I forgot about the other part I guess the highfalutin-style word cephalothorax made me forget the rest of the question I remember it now. I thought of the crayfish with all those antennae like a lobster so I was like scorpion it is. Hey so it looks we're all not retarded like me after all. Woo hoo! Btw, I noticed a typo but I forget where it was.

And does anyone know why they called feedback inhibition a negative feedback loop? Did they just decide to make up a new phrase for it? Or is my AP Bio book archaic or something? Either way, I got that one right for sure.

Do you guys remember any other questions, I'm drawing a blank here. Anyone remember the one I mentioned earlier with the semipermeable membrane in the middle of the solution and distilled water in a beaker? I wasn't sure of that one, so I probably got like the easiest question on the test wrong. Excellent.

By Rapture329 (Rapture329) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 08:28 am: Edit

In some other biology books, they do refer to feedback inhibition as a negative feedback loop. This way, they can say "negative feedback" and "positive feedback..."
Also- does anyone remember the questions with the broods and the hens and did the ribosome/RNA picture confuse you at all?

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:43 am: Edit

oh ya, was the answer to the hen one like pure bread or something

the ribasom picture looked confusing at first but then I figured it out when I read the caption. This was transcription and translation in a bacteria, so there would be no nucleus and it could occur simultaneously.

For the rna relation diagram does anybody remember if they put for one of the questions equally related to the two that were most on the left.

also, i think I put A for the one that was like if thest two divereged 560 (or some number) years ago.

For the color questions in the photosynthesis experiment were they like this: yellow, green, violet

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:53 am: Edit

on the photosynthesis experiment,there were two peaks that were almost the same hight. Which one did you chose as the highest rate of photosynthesis? I chose the left one, but I am not sure if that is correct.

By Wawalu223 (Wawalu223) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:22 am: Edit

Rapture,

The ones with the broods of hens, was the answer to the one asking what will the chart look like in five hundred years, only 4 and 5 will remain. Also did you see my post about the trees. I remembered you asked yesterday, but i got no feedback (har har). Okay that was a really bad joke.

By Wallyjo (Wallyjo) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 12:39 pm: Edit

hey guys.. im taking the SatII in june.. im sorta nervous.. yet not in some ways.. any advice? im a freshman in honors bio.. thanx everyone

By Lateralus (Lateralus) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:09 pm: Edit

ive been told that the reason that people who take the biology M section score higher is:
1. They have taken AP biology (regular/freshman biology takers take ecology)
2. The biology E section, since the information is easier, has more interpretive questions which takes longer and is easier to make careless mistakes.
3. The biology M section on the other hand, since the information is mroe in depth, more is based on rote memory

those of you who took the 5/3 bio sat II, does this seem correct?

By Andrew (Andrew) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:58 pm: Edit

It's because people who go schools that have molecular are smarter in Biology because their teachers aren't ecology fools. Haha seriously molecular is harder but the students who study it usually are smarter. No offense to anyone who takes E based biology. I wouldn't say the ecology is easier and it too is memorization of stuff about animals and population ecology, hardy-weinberg and all that jazz. Some of the molecular was interpretive too, I mean all of the molecular labs were and there was a lot of labs so...that's just what I think.

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 02:59 pm: Edit

Bumper............

By Andrew (Andrew) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 03:24 pm: Edit

Anyone remember any other questions???

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Can someone please answer my questions above about the photosynthesis experiment and the evolutionary relationships diagram

By Futuredoctor (Futuredoctor) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:53 pm: Edit

Testaker, I chose the one on the left as well...

By Andrew (Andrew) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

Yeah it was the one on the left, violet was the highest performer for photsynthesis, yellow was the worst. Right? Sorry I didn't see your question. Can someone answer mine about the membrane in the beaker?

By Testtaker (Testtaker) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 06:09 pm: Edit

I put green as the worst actualy. I think it corresponded to the lowest part of the graph. But I did put yellow for one of the questions I am sure. I think the order of the color questions was yellow/green/violet

Membrane & beaker question
The membrane would not alow the proteins to pass through it because they are too big, so there would be a net movement of water to the side of the membrane with the proteins.

By Andrew (Andrew) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 07:25 pm: Edit

The one for lowest didn't have green as a choice and yellow was the lowest right next to green even if green was a choice it was obviously lower at yellow. I think you might have misremembered. Weren't there only two answers that had colors. Maybe I just forget them all.

Okay good for the membrane beaker I put the same thing. Thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page