How can i improve my critical reading and geometry

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: How can i improve my critical reading and geometry
By Bigguy (Bigguy) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 03:23 pm: Edit

Hi i took the sat in april and scored around a 1200, but my critical reading and geometry portion of the test was quite bad. For critical reading practice i read Time magazine weekly for about 3 months or so and still got a raw score of 20 out of 40 for this section. i don't know why i cant improve, i used the kaplan 1600 book and did some exercises from there and it still didn't help very much for some reason when i took practice exams yesterday. for the exam i used barron's idea of reading the whole this out. what else can i do to improve this section; i got like 1 month till i take the sat's a second time. The only part i'm good at on critical reading is the part where it is asking the meaning of a word, but i always get wrong inferences and some main topic questions. Also, my geometry i have received a raw score of 7 out of 16 i only did better than 45% of people which is quite bad. i just started using grubers. Is there any other way to get better at geometry and critical reading and also which ways does everyone use on Critacal reading because that is worth a lot of points.
thanks for your help

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

This question has been addressed many times in the past weeks/months.

Scroll down the messages and you will find a lot of tips and DIFFERENT strategies. There is NOT a single strategy that works for everyone. It all depends on your individual talent and abilities (like memory and attention span).

Practice with the existing tests and check the answers and slowly try to identify the patterns. After a while, you should be able to eliminate 1, then 2, then 3 obvious wrong answers and augment your chances to pick the right one. Eliminating the wrong choices is usually a bit easier than trying to find the correct one, or better said the "best" one.

Also, and this is not always easy, but as soon as you correctly identify the MAIN ideas, most answers become clearer.

By Bigguy (Bigguy) on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 09:25 pm: Edit

thanks for the help.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page