Will ETS think I cheated if...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: Will ETS think I cheated if...
By Bart_Simpson22 (Bart_Simpson22) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

Will I get a letter from ETS saying that I cheated if i get a 1600 on this Saturday's SAT, after screwing up on October's PSAT with a 1270? I've heard of that happening to people so I was just wondering how big of a leap do you need before they get suspicious?

Just wondering because i just got a 1600 on a practice test today. I was really happy, but now I'm just thinking of how much it would suck to get that letter in the mail...

By Heatwave345 (Heatwave345) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

if they accuse you, make them prove it...

This is America, the law is on your side...

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

I believe they might get suspicious if you go up 250 points in either area or 350 points overall, but it is not enough (by itself) for them to do anything about it. Don't quote me on anything tho, I'm not positive that's the case, but someone once told me it was. You will probably be fine since you didn't go up 350 points overall.

By Mattymatt (Mattymatt) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Not positive but i dont htink they even look at your past scores.. you start fresh with your first satI

By Qu1kslvr (Qu1kslvr) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 10:13 pm: Edit

Mattymatt is right, I donít think they factor PSAT into the "cheating logarithm" for the SATI.

Even if they did, 330 points improvement over 7 months from a preliminary test does not seem unreasonable at all.

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 10:14 pm: Edit

Oh right, I didn't see that it was a PSAT and not an SAT you took in October. I have no idea whether they look at the PSAT or now, so Mattymatt is probably right that they don't.

By Apguy (Apguy) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 10:20 pm: Edit

Yeah, the PSAT is the time many students are first introduced to the test whereas the SAT 1 is often after a student has done quite a bit of prepping. They won't count your PSAT scores. Also, I have heard ETS gives up really easy when trying to accuse people of cheating. The reason for that being they don't HAVE a legal case! So you don't have to worry about being arbitrarily sued, just get the best score possible.

By Bart_Simpson22 (Bart_Simpson22) on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

Thanks guys, that really makes me feel a lot better, you're probably right.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page