AP Eng Lit

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: SAT/ACT Tests and Test Preparation: May 2003 Archive: AP Eng Lit
By Caramelapple (Caramelapple) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:25 am: Edit

So I'm taking the AP Eng lit test next week, and I've had the worst teacher this year (as in watching movies everyday since she doesn't want to work). Basically, my whole class is assuming we're screwed and there's no way we are going to pass. I've been doing some studying on my own and am wondering if there are any good study sites that you know of? Or any tips and pointers would be nice!
Thanks.

By Caramelapple (Caramelapple) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:36 am: Edit

And just to prove how little we have actually done class work this year, I have stated the wrong test.
Please note I'm taking *English Language & Composition NOT English Lit & Composition*

Sorry there.

By J_Jay (J_Jay) on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

well im taking ap lang. also...and i have a relatively good teacher so my advice is:

for part 1 its very similiar to the sat critical reading questions except obviously a lot tougher. make sure u know all the definitions of different rhetorical and writing strategties, plus hopefully u have a decent vocabulary. Its not too bad...just watch the time becuase their are 54 i think questinos in 1 hour and a half and their is a lot of reading..i think 4 different passages

For part 2 their are 3 essays....they will make ur score. They are scored from 1-9..a 9 being almost impossible to get. The key to the essays is time...u have about 40 minutes per essay...this is an insanely low amoutn of time if u have not been practicing...u need to read and annotate the passage, form a basic outline and write. neawys in the essay keep it to ap lang. style...u only need a 2-3 line intro...their is no at least 5 lines per paragragh crap. make the intro short but powerful with a good thesis...and dont state what strategyies and techniques the passage used there.

The first 2 essays are gonna b analysis of style and purpose..and how the author uses different literary techniques and elements to prove his point. Make sure u know rhetor. strats. like antithesis, parallelism...etc. also know syntax, imagery.diction, and tone bcuz they coem up frequently. basically on the first 2 just read deeply look for metaphors and similes bcuz they are easy and apply all u know analyze how the author gets a certain piont across or how something explains something else.

The last essay, in my mind, is by far the easist. It is an argumentative essay, u will b given a quote or a passsage in which an idea and opinion is stated, and u have to agree/disagree/qualify. I would generally say to always qualify if u feel u can bcuz it shows a higher level of thinking. (at leaqst to the ap graders). also raed the directinos carefully it will tell u what to include like personal experience or literature.

Anyways if u keep this in mind and u have decent writing skills...u shuold do fine. jus remember time management part 1 really isnt a problem but in the beginning i was running out of time in part 2. i dont know where u can find practice 1's mayb collegeboard but if u get some do it it will help a lto.

By Dori (Dori) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:14 am: Edit

www.uccp.org

By Andrew123s (Andrew123s) on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 01:18 am: Edit

Also, the multiple choice has lots of fancy words that have simple meanings. Such as:

The description of his quandry was stylistically abetted by ...

Just make sure you know your literary terms and vocabulary for the multiple choice.

Also, is a 9 really nearly impossible to get? What about an 8 or a 7?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page