A moment of silence

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: A moment of silence
By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 11:32 am: Edit

We just recieved word that one of my daughters friends who joined the Marines and who volunteered this past spring to go to Iraq, will be headed home today after recieving critical wounds in battle Saturday. His commanding officer was killed.
Although the 1000th death of soldiers overseas was recently marked, we should also acknowledge that for virtually every incident for which one of our young people paid the ultimate price, others have been wounded, many severely as well.
Please take a moment to think of these volunteers who go where we send them, to fight and die in a land far away, and of their families.

http://www.pigstye.net/iraq/

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 09:01 pm: Edit

I am posting because I don't want you to think that no one cares.
I don't know what to say. I have always thought the war was a mistake. I hate it that our men and women are having to fight for a war that I think is being fought for the wrong reasons.

I am sure that this unnecessary war will be going on for a long time. Many people on their side and on our side will be maimed and killed and there's nothing that I can do to stop it.

By Awesome (Awesome) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 09:56 pm: Edit

I also care.

By Alwaysamom (Alwaysamom) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 10:37 pm: Edit

Emerald, I feel such sadness for all who have had a friend or loved one injured or killed in Iraq. I, like Northstarmom, have always thought this war was a mistake and the worst part now is that there seems to be no plan whatsoever as to how to end our presence there. The chaos that we see reported daily seems to worsen each week. I hope your daughter's friend recovers from his injuries.

By Reasonabledad (Reasonabledad) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 10:55 pm: Edit

I join you in honoring the wounded and the dead. All who serve have make heroic contributions to the future of our country and the rest of the world.

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 11:15 pm: Edit

I also care. They passed 1000 (1001) on Sept 7th, my first day of school. I wrote "1001 & counting" on the back of my English notebook so that everyday I would be reminded of it and think about the tragedies and deaths happening everyday. If we don't forget them they are honored. As a senior in high school, it really hits home knowing that people only a year or two older than me and my friends are being killed in such awful manners. Sometimes I see my boy friends and I can't help but be afraid that one day all too soon I will be mourning them .

By Enjoyingthis (Enjoyingthis) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

Emerald, I, too, am sorry you thought we didn't care because we didn't post. Right before Bush went to war, right before we stood vigil at the courthouse the night before, I e-mailed the White House and said I thought the war was wrong, that it was going to be a big mess, and that they sure better not think they could come after my sons for their cannon fodder.

I was actually heartened to hear yesterday that the mother of son killed in Iraq shouted in anger at Laura Bush. I think Laura seems like a lovely person and I'm sure I could never do such a thing because I'd be too foolishly worried about manners. But I loved that this mother spoke up. Remember Vietnam? Every mother had to believe her son died for a good cause and could never bring herself to say, "This was a waste. You killed my son for nothing." So what did they mostly say? "My son had to die. Why should yours get away with evading the draft?"

The mothers have to rise up and say "Enough!" They have to refuse to be pacified by being told how their sons were the best and the brightest. You don't see Bush and the members of congress fighting to send their own "best and brightest" over there.

I'm particularly sorry to see kids who swallowed the bait about earning money for their college educations ending up going over there.

I have great respect for people who want to serve their country. I have no respect for Bush, sending the sons of others to die in this ill-begotten debacle.

By Browninfall (Browninfall) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

Who piloted the two planes into the World Trade Center? Sorry, but George Bush didn't do it. The man was in office for....8 months. I think that it's appalling that some of you are taking the critical wounds of this young man and are trying to politicize them. You all ought to be ashamed of yourselves, but the left knows no shame.

By Enjoyingthis (Enjoyingthis) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 12:57 am: Edit

Who said anything about the World Trade Center? Bush said we had to go to war because of weapons of mass destruction. There were none. He lied. Mother's sons are dying. We feel terrible about that.

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:00 am: Edit

afghanistan and iraq are not as interrelated as bush makes it seem.

the campaign in afghanistan is supported by the UN and the rest of the allies who even sent their own troops there because that was an act of terrorism, and bush responded by destroying al-qaida who was being harbored by the taliban

iraq on the other hand, was supposed to have "weapons of mass destruction" and thats what the US military was supposed to go find. iraq did not commit terrorism against the US, many of our allies do not support the war, and now iraq is turning into another vietnam, where the US is unable to withdraw.

i too, have great respect for those who serve in the military. many of my friends are in it; 1 is in iraq. i felt sad upon hearing emerald's post as well. but browninfall, the world trade center is not connected to iraq. iraq is a mess made by bush himself.

nevertheless, i admire the bravery and service of those who serve. emerald, i wish your daughter's friend a speedy recovery and good health.

By Browninfall (Browninfall) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:08 am: Edit

I was the one who said something about the World Trade Center. Unfortunately for you it's what drives everything. You've been listening too much to the delusional left. Kerry and Kennedy said the same thing that Bush did (as did Biden and Levin and Harken, etc.) about those who are trying to kill us. You've got to slow down and enjoy life. Sun is shining...enjoy it. Children playing....enjoy it. Bush with a 13 point lead (i.e. Gallup 55-42) enjoy it.

By Lamom (Lamom) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:34 am: Edit

Please keep us posted on your daughter's friend. Many of my son's classmates signed up and talk about all the the money for education-most are just babies I've know for years. I worry about them.

By Patient (Patient) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:52 am: Edit

Browninfall...that was an incredibly insensitive and almost cruel post. You can support the war, if you believe in it, and still grieve for those who are being hurt and killed for YOUR cause.

By Sheeprun (Sheeprun) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 02:37 am: Edit

Browninfall,
Your remarks in this forum are inappropriate. You are banned. Enjoy it.

<moderator>

By Nel (Nel) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 06:20 am: Edit

<Emerald>

I hear you. Big Hug to oyou. My daughter jsut left for college. The young boy just killed last week in Iraq, Devin Grella, age 21, was in her French Class at H.S. This Saturday night, the HS has Band Spectacular event & will honor Pfc.Grella with a huge 15x30 flag, carried in his honor. His parents are having his service Saturday morning. So so so very sad. He turned 21 this summer. Was in Iraq just 4 months.

My son has two friends from up the street. The eldest has been in the Marines for 3 years & is in Iraq; the youngest (at 19, is in the Marines & leaves for Okinawa this month). Can you imagine the fear their Mom feels, when she hears another schoolmate of theirs was killed just last week? She proudly flies the Marines flag on her front-porch, and I for one, admire all the guys/gals who ENLIST for our country.
PEACE ~Nel

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 09:00 am: Edit

I am very gratified for the posts, it wasn't that I thought people didn't care, but like many things that are tough to think about, it can be easier just to push them to back of brain.
We as a country need to read between the lines especially as we approach the upcoming elections.

Another article in the paper this morning about another Marine killed in Iraq, who so far has been the highest ranking soldier killed ( lt Colonel).
I got a smile out of it though, he was 38 and they describe him as a young man, so if he was a young man at 38, I can't really be middle aged :-)

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 12:43 pm: Edit

i too was at a candle light vigil before bush took our country to war, and it really inspired me. the next day at school i put peace signs on peoples' hands(with their permission of course), and i wore one on my hand for quite a few months(i had to stop because i was in a performing group and the director didn't think it was appropriate on stage; no worries it was just because it was writing not because she was against peace). reading these posts, it gave me the chills and i now feel bad that i stopped wearing that peace sign. our soldiers fight for us every day. they can't take their badges off or just stop. what they do is truly amazing and to see them die every day is very disheartening. i'll support the troops, not george bush.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Emeraldkity, I too think of the wounded every day. Such an outcry was made over the tasteful picture of the flag draped caskets on the plane. Heartwrenching stuff. As are the pictures of the wounded returning to Walter Reed to heal from burns and wounds and get fitted for a prosthesis (or maybe more than one.) I see their parents dealing with the aftermath, and what I feel is crushing. These pictures should be front page news. Not the political agenda, but the human cost. I pray for your daughter's friend and for everyother soldier that is in Iraq or is dealing with its aftermath. How do you say to someone that your son or daughter died or was wounded in a war that was a mistake? How do you say your life was changed forever in a war that was a mistake? I guess you don't. You just give them a hug and your support. When the grieving families are given the flag from the casket along with the "thanks of a grateful nation", I so in my heart want to feel thankful as if in some way it might ease their grief. I just feel sad.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

With all due respect to the individuals and families who have sacrificed their well being for ours... this is NOT the time for a moment of silence.

Moments of silence add up to days and months. Our silence is misinterpreted by many as a quiet acquiescence in the manner in which our foreign policy in general and this war in particular are being handled. This administration is telling our military forces to fight a little here, then back off a bit, and then fight a little there. No other policy could possibly give our enemies such hope and encouragement.

We must be willing to let our military forces fight to win or order them to stand down and return home. Our present policies are a sure fire recipe for continued sacrifice without any gain.

Make no mistake: Muslim fundamentalists have declared war on the United States. Instead of taking them seriously, we have allowed hundreds of our soldiers and civilians to be killed and murdered while we make every effort to protect Muslim holy sites.

This administration IS playing politics with the lives of our men and women in uniform. We can better honor those lives by not being silent... not even for a moment.

By Emswim (Emswim) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 10:05 pm: Edit

I support the war, but I am still really saddened by all the deaths and injuries. My sister lost her ballet teacher close to the beginning of the war. I am really grateful that he and others are willing to die to keep our country free. I will continue thinking and praying for our troops.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 02:19 am: Edit

Morgantruce, spoken like someone who's been there and lived it. You are right about our silence, and I for one intend to find my voice in the next election. Thank you for your perspective.

By Carbfreenoodles (Carbfreenoodles) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

I also agree that we should take a moment to reflect on the lost soliders but we shouldnt blame a single person for this war. The voters of American choose a president, the president decided to take action in a problem, and the outcome was not as favorable as everyone expected.

Please just charish every day and love those who love as much as you

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 05:59 pm: Edit

The voters of America did not choose a president. The only reason Bush was elected was that valid ballots from Democrat Floridians were tossed out, and that cost Gore the election.

By Carbfreenoodles (Carbfreenoodles) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 06:20 pm: Edit

I will not argue with you on your opinion.
I will only listen to everyones comments and make mine as freely also.

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 08:01 pm: Edit

No opinion Carb, read the opinions of the U.S. Supreme Court. No debate intended here either since it's a matter of record.

By Carbfreenoodles (Carbfreenoodles) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 08:16 pm: Edit

Gotcha

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page