Adding ECs in senior year, a bad thing?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Adding ECs in senior year, a bad thing?
By Legendofmax (Legendofmax) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 07:12 pm: Edit

I have been involved with Japanese National Honor Society for 4 years, NHS for two, Speech and Debate/Forensics for two, and American Computer Science League for two. However I've only had leadership in ACSL as a Primary Project Manager, and my other leadership example comes from being one of the main organizers for about three years for the foriegn exchange program in my city (organizing activities and such for Chinese and Japanese students).

My question though is if adding any new clubs this year would be a bad thing for college admissions. I am not sure how strong my leadership/EC list is for the Ivies, but if I were to add new clubs now would colleges think I am doing it just to pad my application? A "This guy is suddenly adding things at the last minute" attitude. I've spent so many hours with ACSL, JNHS, and Speech (and a fair amount with NHS), but I really want to join some more clubs. Also, would my lack of leadership/presidency status/etc hurt me any?

(Note I am talking about ECs alone and nothing else, so please judge without knowledge of SAT/grades/etc)

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 09:33 pm: Edit

Your joining new clubs probably would neither help nor hurt you. Anyway, the colleges would only know about these clubs if you told them.

What's there to say about a club that you would have joined just a few weeks before sending in your application? It's not as if such a club would have had a major impact on your life? It's also not as if you would have made a major difference in the club's activities.

Depending on where you are applying, your lack of leadership in any clubs could hurt you. If you are looking at top private universities, the lack of leadership probably would hurt you.

State universities, and many other universities, however, choose students mainly by their stats, not by their ECs.

By Taffy (Taffy) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 11:55 pm: Edit

how do colleges know that you were even involved in any clubs? i mean... you could easily lie to them couldnt you? or does the highschool hold records of whos in what club etc.

By Crayon87 (Crayon87) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 12:02 am: Edit

My school doesn't. I asked a counselor about it and she looked at me like I was crazy!

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 12:25 pm: Edit

Most of high schools don't have a record of who's in what club. Unless you make up a completely crazy lies, you won't get caught although I'm not encouraging that you do.

I've never seen anyone who lied in their application about how many years they were involved in a club, got caught.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page