Who has a prepaid cellphone in here?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Who has a prepaid cellphone in here?
By Mimi (Mimi) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

I've been thinking of getting one because I never talk on the phone, but sometimes I need to use one for emergency calls. Most of the time, there's a phone around, but sometimes there isn't. If I get a prepaid cellphone, would I have to keep buying a phone card every month? I'd probably only use it like a couple times a year. And would they expire in a year?? How long would the minutes last?? thanks.

By Anijen21 (Anijen21) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

I use Virgin Mobile, which requires you to pay at least $20.00 every three months.

Now, it's $.25 a minute, so it's not really a good deal, but I never talk on the phone except to set up stuff with my friends, so paying $50.00 a month for a 1000 minutes is excessive.

I don't mind Virgin Mobile. You have to pay for the phone in addition to the minutes, though.

By Mimi (Mimi) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 08:35 pm: Edit

So a phone card doesn't come with the phone when you buy it? You have to buy the phone and the phone card separately????

By Lamom (Lamom) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Ck also how long the minutes last. Sone cards might only be good for 30 days. If you just need it for EMERGENCY, 911 works on any cell phone-(if someone has an old one to give you) does not need activation, just keep it charged. Of course, I have been on hold 2 times when I tried to rept an accident by calling 811.

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Lamom, why would you call 811? Just kidding. Anyway, I used to have Virgin Mobile, but I am on the phone a lot so it didn't really work out for me. It is good for emergencies, but the minutes DO expire within a certian period of time. It is okay though, and they have some really nice phoens now. You also get really cool extra features with them, like ringtones and a web browser that u can use to use up any extra minutes you might have before they run out. (Actually, it goes by amount of money in your account, not by minutes. Check their website.) Virgin Mobile is definately the bets one, though.

By Lamom (Lamom) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

Guess you don't want me calling 911 for you in an emergency.

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 02:06 pm: Edit

I used to have Cingular KIC. It was very good for me, 10 cents a minute across the USA! Service is not available in all areas.

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Same with Anijen21, I only call my mom for like an hour a week so I'd say around $40 per month topping up. I don't mind my phone.

By Mimi (Mimi) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 10:09 pm: Edit

you have to pay $40 a month for a prepaid phone??!! Might as well get a regular one.

By Usunkmyb_Ship (Usunkmyb_Ship) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:50 am: Edit

avoiding plans and contracts

By Kjofkw (Kjofkw) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 08:52 am: Edit

Mini: I've been looking around for the same thing for my daughter (emergency use only).

So far the Virgin deal looked the best. While you pay for the phone, you can get a card that lasts for 3 months. You use it or lose it, but I believe it was around $30 (or $10 per month). I'm making up those numbers because I can't find my written information, but I do not think I am too far off.

Some companies have a year card for about $100. I'm not sure of the number of minutes, but that equates to less than $10 per month if you're not counting minutes anyway.

We have a "family" cell phone (that we pass around to whomever needs it the most. Obviously this isn't the greatest idea for emergency use). It is through our local Bell (but it is an AT&T plan). They have a $19 per month deal that they do not advertise. You have to ask for it. It is meant for emergency use, but you do get some minutes with it (50 peak and 1000 off-peak). It is for local calls only. If you call long distance or outside the local network, numerous surcharges are added. However, the nice thing about this plan is that we can switch it whenever we want to the "anytime anywhere plan" ($29 for 125 minutes). Again, if you're a big talker, it is expensive time. But we switch it for a month when we go on a trip (about 2x per year), then switch it back again when we return. Easy phone call -- no hassles.
The phone is free or at least cheap (if you time it right with a sale).

Our other option is to just get another phone w/ AT&T, but we need to change the plan, and I haven't calculated that cost yet (2 on one plan, vs. a pre-paid).

By Meth5400 (Meth5400) on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

AT & T GO phone. its 400 anytime minutes for 39.99 i think- and even if u spend 40 on it, its WAAAY different than a regular plan b/c you CANNOT go over-very easy way to secure this fact. I have it and its good, its free longdistance and roaming and what have you-nights after 9, free weekeends etc. hope that helps!!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page