NEED TO BUY A LATIN BOOK please! help my class out!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: NEED TO BUY A LATIN BOOK please! help my class out!
By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

if anybody owns a Cambridge Latin V textbook, i am interested in buying one. (or i guess any 5 text works for now)

My Latin teacher (the only one my school has so its my fourth year with her) is a very scattered person. But when it comes to Latin 5 she is serious. My grade, (class of 05 baby) is the first enthusiastic group of latin students in over 10 years. (11 kids in Latin 5!!! and we pushed and got an AP latin class to run in the spring ! yay!!) So she finally decides that she needs a set of books to run her class with... makes sense. So she puts in her order and the budget is approved and the books are ordered. THEN, the school board slashes the high school budget 40%. AFTER ITS BEEN APPROVED.! so what are the first three programs cut in budget?? Music, Art and Language. Now, see, here s the thing. Spanish 5 and French 5 which already had a classroom set of books got NEW ones... Ive seen them, brand new !Dime! books and i dunno what the french are called. So the Latin class doesnt get any books, and our teacher doesnt know what to do. we need a book. I looked on Amazon . com and other such sites and they were unavailable. So, if anybody out there owns a Latin V textbook, please IM me on Aim @ Mhera13 or yahoo @ vickyblueeyes00 . i live in the Eastern Time Zone. I would (and my classmates im sure) really appreciate your help!! thanks!
-Iplayoboe

By Anglophile (Anglophile) on Wednesday, September 15, 2004 - 02:01 am: Edit

You might want to organize a fundraiser to get the money to pay for the books. It'll look great on your college apps, they love to see students take initiative. This could be a big blessing in disguise. Then start a Latin club-- they love that too, those colleges.

hehehe... I'm such a mercenary.

By Elizabeth22 (Elizabeth22) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 12:21 pm: Edit

I don't understand why you need a book for Latin V. After second year Latin, all there is to do is either prose composition or reading literature. For my Latin V class we're reading Ovid's Metamorphoses and and using a prose composition book. We haven't used an instructional book since we finished grammar. What's in this book?

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 03:46 pm: Edit

Just get a book and scan the pages one day and e-mail it to all the students. Some of my college professors do that. It's legal since its for education...maybe?

By Marite (Marite) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 03:52 pm: Edit

Ndbisme5:

No, it's not legal. Publishing houses have gone after Kinkos over this. When profs put together reading packets, their universities have to get copyrights permission and pay for it.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page