Language Lab

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Language Lab
By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 12:40 am: Edit

What is the point?

My school is interested in building one and I'm supposed to present an argument for it... the thing though is that... I'm not really sure what a language lab is.

It sounds like a good idea.

By Glowingamy (Glowingamy) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 12:55 am: Edit

It's a room filled with like thirty computers. Each one has a big headset with built-in microphone that you can put on your head and talk into and hear yourself, and on the computers there's recording software so you can play yourself back. You can do oral work for the teacher to grade; there's some kind of master computer that can collect all the audio files and speak into everyone's headsets, etc. You can also do partner work as the teacher can choose to connect your headset to someone else in the class. And you can record that too. This is quieter and less hectic than oral work "the old-fashioned way". a useful tool but it's not worth the gigantic $$$ needed for so many computers and so much software in my opinion, especially if your school is already dealing with budget problemos, but this obviously wasn't your decision soooo...

By Awesome (Awesome) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 12:59 am: Edit

A language lab is kind of like a library devoted solely to studying language. There aren't many books in it (mainly dictionaries) but there are computers and tape machines. You use the computers to listen to and create conversations, as well as to learn components of the language (grammar, vocab, etc.) The tape machines are usually for you to use with your book. It's the best way to improve your pronounciation. I think every school should have a language lab.

By Glowingamy (Glowingamy) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 01:00 am: Edit

...and er apparently they differ from school to school.

By Awesome (Awesome) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 01:26 am: Edit

haha. yea...i liked your description, glowingamy.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page