North Korea tests (Nuclear) weapon

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: North Korea tests (Nuclear) weapon
By Pkpat2000 (Pkpat2000) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:35 pm: Edit

As usual, the Bush administration is feeding lies to the American public. Condoleezza Rice thinks the massive mushroom cloud explosion near a secret underground weapons testing facility was "a forest fire".

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/afp_world/view/106286/1/.html

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

I was wondering when anyone was going to comment

I am afraid to start any new threads, this moderator keeps deleting them.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002033512_nkorea12.html

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:15 pm: Edit

You know, not everything that the Bush cabinet says is a lie to the American public, despite your fervent wishes.

Have you ever considered this: maybe it was a forest fire? All we have is satellite images, and although I have no firsthand knowledge, I can imagine a forest fire smoke cloud looking similar to a large mushroom cloud.

Also, we just saw an irregular cloud from space. The mushroom cloud idea was broken by Yonhap, a South Korean news source. It should be noted that South Korea is currently downplaying the notion that it was a nuclear explosion to begin with.

Finally, the odds of North Korea detonating a nuclear device so close to the Chinese border is highly unlikely: it simply doesn't do North Korea any favors to rattle the Chinese right now.

But, if you want to try antagonizing Bush for the heck of it, have at it, buddy.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:26 pm: Edit

Where do you see Bush being mentioned?
South Korea says that they saw a mushroom cloud, are you saying they are mistaken?
I certainly hope so

The first report, from the South Korean news agency Yonhap, said that "a mushroom cloud with a radius of 3.5 to 4km was spotted in Kimhyongjik county" on Thursday, the 56th anniversary of the establishment of North Korea.

The mountainous area is completely closed to foreigners. Diplomats said that the location of North Korea's nuclear test site is unknown.

Some Korea watchers had feared that North Korea might carry out such an act as the temperature rises again in its dispute with the Americans over Pyongyang's suspected nuclear weapons programme.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/SEO337607.htm

By Alongfortheride (Alongfortheride) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:57 pm: Edit

Bottom line: I hope and pray that it was not a nuclear test.

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:32 pm: Edit

^ dito

By Valpal (Valpal) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:33 pm: Edit

NPR reported that there was a "massive EXPLOSION" in North Korea. That doesn't sound much like a "forest fire" to me. I personally was highly suspicious of the administration's downplaying of the incident. But if the North Koreans did indeed detonate a nuclear weapon, it will be very hard to hide the measurable radioactivity from such an explosion, wouldn't it?

One thing's for sure, if the explosion was a nuclear test, it would not bode well for the Bush Administration. It would loudly justify the criticism that our national security focus is seriously misplaced.

By Thinkingoutloud (Thinkingoutloud) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:47 pm: Edit

Valpal, I don't agree with your conclusion. President Clinton gave North Korea nuclear technology and if North Korea tests a nuclear bomb, it simply confirms how stupid President Clinton was to trust the North Koreans. President Bush is now trying to work with the countries surrounding North Korea (remember, liberals always insist we work with other countries) to establish some guarantee that North Korea has forever given up its nuclear program. There is little reason to enter into a deal with the North Koreans unless we can verify it. President Bush was successful in Libya and he will be successful in North Korea if the crybaby media will stop working for the North Koreans.

By Virginia2004 (Virginia2004) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 01:16 am: Edit

Im just hoping its not a nuclear test but a massive explosion and then a cloud resembling a mushroom cloud what elso could it be?

By Vancat (Vancat) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 05:10 pm: Edit

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/23/world/main637643.shtml

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5973861/

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,132177,00.html

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/09/13/nkorea.blast/index.html

The North Korean "explosion" was the controlled demolition of a mountain to make way for a new hydroelectric power plant. The usually secretive government will allow British inspectors to visit the site of the demolition soon.

"As usual, the Bush administration is feeding lies to the American public."

Pkpat2000, you seem to enjoy jumping to conclusions and spewing anti-Bush retoric, just like this thread showed. Did you realize Condi Rice's statement was a hypothesis based on the preliminary facts that were available immediately after the blast?

My question to you is: Why could you not wait, oh say perhaps even ONE DAY, to get the facts before you made conclusions?? Did you ever think that the LACK of radiological fallout and the LACk of a massive blast wave was *somewhat* indicating a non-nuclear blast? Or do you feel that its your job to accuse the Bush administration on lying about everything?

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

as usual people accuse bush of lying when he gave information without having all the information. as far as i know bush has never lied. sometimes he was given misinformation and informed the public of whats going on but frankly I have never heard him lie. Also if he did wait one day people would be critizeing him of not telling the public sooner. lay off bush he has absoulty nothing to do with this.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 08:18 pm: Edit

wtf is everybody doing assuming that a mushroom cloud immediately means a nuclear explosion? Are people watching too many Hollywood movies?

Any significant amount of regular explosives can produce a mushroom cloud. Hell, I can produce a mushroom cloud myself in my backyard with a bottle of liquor, a match, and some hot weather outside. (don't even ask)

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 08:34 pm: Edit

I think Bush is a few C's short of a diploma.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 08:57 pm: Edit

changing the subject...awesome...

By Sticksandstones (Sticksandstones) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:03 pm: Edit

I found it ironic that today in a campaign speech Bush mentioned to the people that he wanted other countries to pressure North Korea because of the alleged nuclear test and not just the US, while hes the one who ignored other counteries objections when planning to invade Iraq. Hows that for flip-flopping

By Vancat (Vancat) on Monday, September 13, 2004 - 10:35 pm: Edit

ummm I think you are missing the point man.

I'm talking to Pkpat2000 about is irrational jumping to conclusions regarding this explosion.

Read the OP. Pkpat2000 blindly assumed Bush was spewing deliberate lies when he didn't even bother to wait a couple of days until more solid news came up on the issue at hand. That's what I'm complaining about. And I'm also complaining about Stanfordman's lame jokes.

By Pkpat2000 (Pkpat2000) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

"irrational jumping to conclusions"

Isn't that what Bush did in Iraq???

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 05:38 pm: Edit

lol...more and more changing of the subject.

if you can't admit that you jumped to conclusions regarding this explosion, then I'm sorry but that is just sad.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 05:43 pm: Edit

In case you forgot, here is what you originally said as soon as breaking news of a "nuclear" explosion was shown by the news networks.

"As usual, the Bush administration is feeding lies to the American public. Condoleezza Rice thinks the massive mushroom cloud explosion near a secret underground weapons testing facility was "a forest fire"."

*This is how I responded to you.

"Pkpat2000, you seem to enjoy jumping to conclusions and spewing anti-Bush retoric, just like this thread showed. Did you realize Condi Rice's statement was a hypothesis based on the preliminary facts that were available immediately after the blast? My question to you is: Why could you not wait, oh say perhaps even ONE DAY, to get the facts before you made conclusions?? Did you ever think that the LACK of radiological fallout and the LACk of a massive blast wave was *somewhat* indicating a non-nuclear blast? Or do you feel that its your job to accuse the Bush administration on lying about everything?"

You, my friend, are unlike most of the other posters on this board (even the other bush-basher ones). See, most of us (even the bush-basher ones) back up our claims with data and the news, which is a GOOD thing during heated discussion. You, on the other hand, immediately resorted to your anti-bush stance even before you got credible reports on the North korea situation. Like I said before, could you not have waited even A DAY for more reliable and accurate news about the explosion to come up?

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 05:44 pm: Edit

Bush is a such loser. Good thing he lost the election twice.

Now THAT's jumping to a conclusion.....but I like it.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 05:49 pm: Edit

woooow what a fantastic response...[cough][cough]

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 06:39 pm: Edit

I know man....this country's polluted conservative atmosphere is stinging my lungs too.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 06:55 pm: Edit

and this country's liberal whacko invasion is running amuck too.

By Welshie (Welshie) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 07:55 pm: Edit

Even my hippy self must agree with Vancat. The original poster jumped to a conclusion that, at this point in time, appears to be false and is not brave enough to admit to it. Stanfordman99, meanwhile, is just acting like an idiot.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 07:59 pm: Edit

High Five Welshie.

By Mysticwistful (Mysticwistful) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 11:00 pm: Edit

What are you talking about? Stanfordman99 is funny. I liked that "Bush is a few C's short of a diploma" joke. It makes sense in the context of collegeconfidential and Bush really was a C student at Yale. Rock on.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page