On the other message boards on this site...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: On the other message boards on this site...
By Shannon05 (Shannon05) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 02:18 am: Edit

does anyone notice that people worry about stupid •••• so much!!!, i read a post and someone was complaining that they got a B+ in freshman english and wanted to know if they should re-take that class their soph. year to rasie their "bad" grade, and i also read someone that said they got 3.9 gpa their FIRST report card for high school and was worried their chances for duke were over(note they were a freshman). anyone else notice this kinda stuff??

By Northwestlover (Northwestlover) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 02:29 am: Edit

yeah, some people are too serious about their grades. I don't think one or two B's would actually hurt anything (especially in Freshmen English). Yes, I have good grade, and I'll be pissed if I've got a B or C, however, I wouldn't be thinking of retaking the class again....

I know it's hard to get into ivy colleges, but I don't think not being "super who-can-do-extremely-well-on-anything" actually decrease the percentage of getting admitted. We're only human, and they know it. Or, is this too optimistic?

By Anglophile (Anglophile) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 04:44 am: Edit

Way too optimistic.... but it's refreshing for a change.

By Imblue (Imblue) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 05:12 am: Edit

Unfortunately, their concerns are justified so some extent, however small it may be. Many public schools don't have the resources to read every application, so they often rely on computer formulas of GPAs and SAT scores to make many, if not most, of their admissions decisions. So that B+ in freshman English or that 1400 vs 1450 SAT could potentially hurt. Also, we all know how much schools love to brag how many valedictorians they have. That B+ won't make a difference for almost every high school student, but it could drop the potential valedictorian to second or third place.

By Candi1657 (Candi1657) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 09:58 am: Edit

I got a C in music freshman year.

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 07:30 pm: Edit

bad grades aren't fun, but you have to move on, and i think that's a lesson you can only learn from experience

By Jer728 (Jer728) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 06:07 pm: Edit

This board needs some new material BADLY.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, September 14, 2004 - 06:14 pm: Edit

So many people from the other boards never post in the Cafe. That's too bad.

They're scared aren't they.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page