UCSC - UCB Dual Degree Program

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: UCSC - UCB Dual Degree Program
By Taffy (Taffy) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:31 pm: Edit

what do you think of this program? i would spend 3 years at the University of California - Santa Cruz, studying something like Business Management or Economics, then transfer to Berkeley for 2 years and study Mechanical Engineering.

after the 5 years, i would have a BA in Economics and a BS in Engineering. Berkeley is like the #3 Engineering school in the nation and this seems like an awesome opportunity. Having the business degree would allow me to eventually get into management in engineering.
http://admissions.ucsc.edu/discover/majors/Dual-DegreeEngineering.cfm

By Taffy (Taffy) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:29 pm: Edit

no love?

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

its good. its one of several joint degree programs offered at the UC's.

you benefit because the engineering field is never stable, and in case u get unemployed (of course we hope u dont, but theres a possibility), u have the MBA to find u a job in the business sector.

it benefits the UCs because schools like berkeley and ucla are trying to make themselves less impacted and at the same time trying to improve the other UCs. so UCSC would get a good student and at the same time, there would be more space temporarily at ucb.

i personally dont know anyone doing this but i do know someone who did the UCR-UCLA joint medical degree. if u dont mind spending a few years at the lower tier schools (UCSC or UCR), then youll be rewarded with a boost up to the good UCs (UCB in your case)

By Imblue (Imblue) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 04:26 am: Edit

It sounds like a good idea on paper, but I don't think it's that practical. Engineering is tough enough to finish in 4 years, let alone cramming everything into the 2 years after transferring. This is especially true at a difficult program like Berkeley. Also, IMO a BA in Economics or Business Management won't help enough for management prospects to justify spending another year in school, because many Engineering graduates who want to go into management either go through corporate training programs or get their MBA while working.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page