OCD and paranoia and thinking and studying

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: OCD and paranoia and thinking and studying
By Cherrybarry (Cherrybarry) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 05:52 pm: Edit

I use to have mild OCD. I still do, but it sort of changes as time goes by. I'm also a perfectionist and paranoid about a lot of things.

What I've noticed about myself toward schoolwork is that I contemplate everything. I'm always thinking of hypotheticals and "what if"s. For instance, in calculus, instead of lim h-->0 for the difference quotient, I would think of what would happen if lim x-->0. It takes me forever to do homework because I think about every possibilit or occurence and reevaluate things. Sometimes, I get a math problem stuck in my head for weeks.

School often teaches a cookbook approach to math. They give you a procedure and expect you to follow it blindly. But I always think of these weird hypotheticals and have to figure them out before I can move on. I have to know the why's about everything. I feel like I have to quantify everything or at least categorize them.

I know I'm not being very coherent here, but I was just wondering if anyone can relate?

By Welshie (Welshie) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 05:54 pm: Edit

That's called learning, my friend.

By August (August) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 06:00 pm: Edit

YES. I also have had this problem. It has slowed me down tremendously at school and it's really a bad thing. Everything takes forever. And it interferes with learning and certainly also with enjoyment of learning.

By Megofou (Megofou) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 06:04 pm: Edit

I still remember waaaay back in Jr. High working on a pre-algebra problem and not believing the answer. There was no way to explain it that could make me think I was wrong.

It haunted me for weeks.

Other than that...yeah, it's not so bad on this end. I occasionaly lose myself to the 'whys', but when I have a deadline I can usually keep it in check.

By Freija (Freija) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 12:58 pm: Edit

I suffered from severe OCD in my teens and learned to control it through neuro-linguistic programming (so basically psychological techniques, no medication). Sometimes it still threatens to make a comeback when I'm stressed. But on the whole I would say that the hyper-aware OCD personality, although tiring (!), has a lot of benefits if it's not allowed to run your life. You perceive more, notice more, analyse more (not always a good thing) and are aware of more nuances. Perfectionism and dedication in measure are both helpful things - just learn not to let them get out of hand!

"Living with Fear" by Isaac Marks is a very excellent book on the subject.

Freija

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page