TRue or False???

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: TRue or False???
By Jekyllnhyde10 (Jekyllnhyde10) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:50 pm: Edit

Is it true you get exactly the same kind of education at a state, pulic, or community school as you do in thee Ivy league? Dad says a diploma is a dimploma, go to prestigous grad school.

By Justperfect (Justperfect) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

i guess since that the credits tranfer i guess it is true but i dont know

By Welshie (Welshie) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:10 pm: Edit

Yes. The diplomas are the same everywhere but how grad schools and employers view said diplomas will vary between undergad schools. Your dad does have a point though. If you seriously plan on going through to grad school, the diploma you will receive there is far more important than your undergrad and the grad school you go to will be scrutinized far more than your undergrad.

By Megofou (Megofou) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:27 pm: Edit

I don't know about Ivy League and State schools. I mean, I have a professor here that I can't imagine being topped. This is a state school. I'm sure every school has its perks in that sense.

Before I came here, I went to a community college for my senior year of high school. I've learned more here in a week than I learned there in a year. But again...it could depend on the school.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 05:00 pm: Edit

no. undergrad education is very important. don't skimp on it.

By Alphamom (Alphamom) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 05:01 pm: Edit

We asked every person in education about the importance of undergrad school and I was surprised at the advice. "No one cares what undergrad school you attend, it's the grad school that is important". This was from an English professor and others. Berkeley said that they take mostly ivies for their grad school which seems to conflict with above advice, as their own students apparently aren't qualified. A professional college advisor said the best educational experience would be at a State College because the teachers are not pressured to publish like the UC system. She still preferred the LAC's though. These people should know, so why can't they agree? My gut feeling is that if you excel at a reasonably good college you will get into a good grad school, at least that is what my D is betting on.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page