9/11 Anniversary; off topic

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: 9/11 Anniversary; off topic
By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 02:00 pm: Edit

I went over to the local park and brought fresh white mums to plant and several new flags to replace the old ones.If I hadn't suggested the 9/11 Memorial Garden in the township it would not be there today.My sons and I always enjoy working on the 9/11 Garden.We had problems with vandalism when it first went in. I think kids thought it was wrong to commemorate such an event. But as time went on and more such gardens and memorials have popped up there is now respect for the memorial garden even though the little fence is now tattered and falling down and the township sign losing it's paint.I try to always plant white flowers; lillies, mums, impatients and keep the flags fresh. It really is very beautiful when the wind blows all the little flags.There are also white tulips and azaelias and rodies so it looks very nice in the spring also. The inspiration for the garden was the picture of a local young person in the newspaper who had died in the towers. She had attended the finest schools and had the finest education money could buy and her photo showed a beautiful young woman impeccably dressed with the most charming smile.And it seems, she had snagged the finest job too.But it was not to last and she died at 25. So it seemed a fitting tribute to commemorate those who all worked so hard and lost their lives that day, the firefighters, police, elevator operators and those in the kitchen as well.That their name and that day be remembered in our little park.(Although I'm sure many want to forget.) So if you have anyone or anything to remember from that day or since, please do comment !

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 02:14 pm: Edit

This is very hard to speak about.

I lost two people I knew pretty well, one of them was a dear friend and mentor of mine. He had gone to the North Tower for the Risk Waters Conference at Windows on the world. Got caught because he was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 02:39 pm: Edit

Oh God.I'm so sorry. Think of a way to commemorate that person even if it is just calling his family to share some thoughts or ask how they are.The worse thing is being forgotten.
As a child my elementary school was very old and there was a fenced area connecting two wings of the school. In this area there was a WW2 Memorial Garden.Some of my earliest memories are of walking with my mother, holding her hand, and asking why were all those shrubs and flowers in there.And I couldn't understand in my 5 year old mind why my mother was always reading the names.It took maturing to understand.Now that garden is gone.And WW2 was only a few years before my birth!WW2 always seemed to me ages ago and now it seems too close!

By Monarchsfan16 (Monarchsfan16) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:41 pm: Edit

I'll never forget that day. I somehow survived an incredibly long school day, watching the news, trying so hard to understand why on earth this was happening to us. Even had gym class outside on the field with army helicopters circling over head.
When I got home, we just sat, stunned watching TV and everything. We knew as Americans we had been affected, but we never knew we had been personally affected.
The call came as I was crawling into bed; my great aunt (dad's aunt) had been on Flight 11. I don't think any of us slept that night, we were in shock, and so deeply upset.
With this anniversary brings more sadness, and and all the memories and everything that we dealt with in the first few days after the attacks. I can't watch the news, as they profile the victims of NH every year, and I just can't bear to see her photo flashed across the screen. Even 3 years later, it seems so fresh. I'll never forget her or that day.

By Mom101 (Mom101) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 03:53 pm: Edit

It amazes me how much 9/11 changed New York. It is a kinder, gentler place. It's been documented that people literally act differently, make eye contact more and are much more willing to contribute on a community level. So something good actually came out of this.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:05 pm: Edit

When I saw this was moved out fo the parents forum I was sad because I really did not want to offend anyone.I do not want to offend anyone.
I'm really sorry Monarch'sfan. I had no idea some would have close association's here. But I do think it is important to remember her tomorrow, especially to those who knew her best.

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:15 pm: Edit

BHG, you did not offend anyone. The wounds are still raw for some people, that's all. I still feel very angry at times that this should happen to such a gentle soul. And bitter about the aftermath.

My friend's wife does not have kids, is in her mid-40s like me and lives alone and also has lost her job. She is ok financially, and will be all right even if she does not have a job, just that it is very hard for her. She's doing better this year.

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:33 pm: Edit

Also makes me wonder how his last hours were. It would kill me to know that he suffered. Was he suffocating? Did he manage to reach the windows? What was going through his mind? His wife told me that he blackberried a last email to her...she read it way way after the tower was down.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:10 pm: Edit

That is tough to live with.Very sad.You know, many internationals died there too. It's three years and it still upsets me.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:17 pm: Edit

Achat: How about you? Were you covered in dust that day too?

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:59 pm: Edit

No, I was in midtown. As I said, my 2 friends had gone there to attend a conference. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Many of us stuck around answering the phones that day in our office and left in the evening on the last train out of Penn.

The worst phone call I had to handle that day was a call from my friend's father who called from Bangkok, Thailand. I said I did not know where he was. Then later my friend's brother called from Bangkok as well and we leveled with him that he was missing and he'd gone to the WTC.

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 10:29 am: Edit

My neice was 5 blocks away on her way to a building 2 blocks away when it happened.A policeman directed everyone go into the nearest building and once they were inside wouldn't let them leave.Finally, they brought in flimsy face masks and let everyone go.She lived uptown so didn't go there as all transportation was down and stayed downtown at a friend's apartment.She was covered in dust.
Funny thing, my kid's German Club was scheduled to go to the WTC that day with many exchange students from Germany. The bus left at 7 am, plenty of time to have reached the building before 9.It was the idea of a young teacher to take the S.I. Ferry and as a consequence of this decision they saw the smoke on the ferry and were not allowed off.I still shake today thinking about if that decision had not been made to take the ferry.I ran in to the teacher once and thanked her, she said all the kids were pretty badly shaken up.

By Achat (Achat) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 12:48 pm: Edit

Yes, thank God they did take the ferry. Many of these death were just happenstance. Just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

An alumni of my college took the plane earlier than scheduled and happened to be on AA Flight 11.

By James1 (James1) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 04:23 pm: Edit

I am sorry to say this but something big always has to happen before america pays attention to anything. Before the 9/11 attacks people didnt even much care for the people in the middle east. It kind of reminds me of pearl harbor. We didnt even much think about the japanese that much until they attacked. Then people started getting mad at japanese-americans and blaming them for what happened. Kind of like what people did to the arabs after 9/11. If more americans just had paid a little more attention of what was happening in the world, this might not have happened.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page