Coffee Break (SNL or MADtv)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Coffee Break (SNL or MADtv)
By Northwestlover (Northwestlover) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:06 am: Edit

This thread does nothing to do with coffee. Sorry, coffee maniacs.

CC Cafeteria board today is heated up with a lot of political discussion. No wonder; election day is coming soon. But if things keep like this, I don't think it's very healthy. So I decided to have a little coffee break, by just simply answering my question I ask every 2 days.

Question 1: Saturday Night Live or MAD TV: Which do you like better?

Me: SNL. Especially Will Ferrell was there. MADtv is sometimes funny, but can't beat SNL style, lol.

I think I'm gonna take a poll on this one too. Remember, our goal is to chill out, and have a little relax. BTW, don't ask me why I'm asking this, because there aren't a lot of reasons....

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:07 am: Edit

id have to say snl, no reason i just like it better.

By Golfergirl08 (Golfergirl08) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:37 am: Edit

I'd have to say SNL, it's a lot less vulgar than Mad TV. Both are very senselessly and stupidly funny (everyone has to turn off their brain sometimes lol) but SNL seems to be funnier in general, especially with Will Ferrell, Chris Kattan, and of course the old epidodes with Adam Sandler and Chris Farley. Classics, no question.

By Lisasimpson (Lisasimpson) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:44 am: Edit

snl hands down - mtv just goes for dirty humor and is just disgusting, while snl is pretty dirty but has jimmy fallon!! even though he's gone now!!

By Curiouskatie (Curiouskatie) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 06:35 am: Edit

i like MADTv better. some SNL sketches are hard to beat, but I like the silliness of the MADTv characters. haha all i can say is that i have tivo set to record both every saturday night!

By Geniusash (Geniusash) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 12:05 pm: Edit

Old SNL, new MADTV

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:21 pm: Edit

SNL has more class. I used to like MadTV, but then it got old. SNL has celebrity guests every show, and its more interesting.

By Titanz05 (Titanz05) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:24 pm: Edit

Relatively speaking, SNL is more sophisticated compared to the MadTv which, I think, is funny for 4-6th graders. However, the BEST MadTv skits are Stewie and Mrs.Swan. Those are ultimate.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 02:52 pm: Edit

Both are garbage. However, back when Will Ferrel was on, and back when Chris Farley and Sandler and Dana Carvey were on, SNL was awesome. Better hosts, too.

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:16 pm: Edit

old snl was very good, but watching it today is like pulling teeth. it's just not funny at all. madtv is much better than snl these days.

By Fyre (Fyre) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 03:20 pm: Edit

Stuart!!!!!!!!! Need I say more?

Mad TV is the best!

I used to be a SNL fan, but with approching elections everything just seems to be about the candidates. Those sketches to me just aren't that funny. On the other hand, dancing Stuart.... is LMAO FUNNINESS!

By Vancat (Vancat) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 04:06 pm: Edit

anybody see the Ambiguously Gay Duo on SNL? MAN that SH&T was FUNNY AS ANYTHING. Do they still air it? If it stopped then thats a cryin shame.

Also, Brian Fellow's Safari Planet is freakin hilarious

"Brian Fellow is not an accredited zoologist, nor does he hold an advanced degree in any of the environmental sciences. He is simply an enthusiastic young man with a sixth grade education and an abiding love for all of God's creatures...share his love tonight on Brian Fellow's Safari Planet!"

By Dwerbowy (Dwerbowy) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

MadTv is a poor man's SNL.

By Philntex (Philntex) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 11:37 pm: Edit

I've been torn for the last year since I started watching classic MadTV. I'd say SNL in the '90s beats MadTV hands down. However, I love Stephanie Weir and Michael McDonald and the other woman who plays the mother of Stuart in the Stuart sketch. I'd have to say the "Stuart" sketch is my favorite of MadTV.

However, I love Stuart Smalley, Coffee Talk, Radio Talk, Church Lady, the Spartan cheerleaders, TV Funhouse, and Fun with Real Audio from SNL. Eh, okay, so I guess it's SNL after all.

By Northwestlover (Northwestlover) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 02:14 am: Edit

Well, I guess I don't need to count. SNL leads more than MADtv for now, especially old ones where Will Ferrel and other funny crews were on.

Personally, I wish Comedy Central haven't canceled SNL and replaced with MADtv, but oh well, I can still watch SNL on E!

By Anijen21 (Anijen21) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:24 am: Edit

I like Mad TV better.

Stuart, and there's one guy from where I live who does all the impressions. I don't know his name, but he always does John Madden.

SNL sucked when it was like, Cheri Oteri and Molly Shannon, but it has gotten better. The only real reason I like Mad TV better is because they never have musical guests. I always record SNL on my DVR and fast forward through the musical guests. They take up too much time.

By Toblin (Toblin) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:33 pm: Edit

Bring back Second City Telivision! Why won't they run repeats? 2CT was funnier than SNL ever was.

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 08:13 pm: Edit

Actually, even Will Ferrel kinda sucked. He rules in his movies, though. I think it's the writers' fault.

By Northwestlover (Northwestlover) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 11:20 pm: Edit

I want Kids in the Hall to be back on CC (Comedy Central), instead of those new blue-collar comedy or graham norton's crap!

By Aim78 (Aim78) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 12:20 am: Edit

Chappelle's Show is awesome but tough to watch with parents around, so I don't ever catch it. The Daily Show is awesome, needless to say. And that's about it. I've heard good things about Reno 911 but I can't be bothered to waste more time watching morons.

By Eyesclozedtight (Eyesclozedtight) on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 12:39 am: Edit

amen to SCTV! my dad has all of them on dvd. kids in the hall are great too. i remember watching those when i was really young because i guess my parents just figured it would be over my head. as for today's comedy central line up, it's pretty good give or take a few programs. tough crowd can get a little annoying especially because colin quinn is such a hot headed moron, but they should bring back trigger happy tv(only the british ones)!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page