Guitar ?? to music folks..

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Guitar ?? to music folks..
By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 10:17 pm: Edit

We decided to go for ELECTRIC GUITAR..we bought a student package with amp, guitar, etc. NOW the one thing I noticed is that the guitar is heavy.
She is pretty petite..and she said its heavy. I guess she will have to learn how to distribute the weight of it? Is there any chance that strap around her neck could cause vocal problems? Is there a right way to hold a guitar?

By Monydad (Monydad) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 10:20 pm: Edit

I think she'll figure it out. I haven't heard of any strap strangulations up to now...

If it's too heavy she can always play sitting down.

As for "the right way", this looks ok to me:
http://www.light99.com/dctalk/jen3.jpg

By Fendergirl (Fendergirl) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 12:10 am: Edit

most people play guitar while sitting down.. soooo it shouldnt be too bad :)

By Interesteddad (Interesteddad) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 02:26 am: Edit

Electric guitars are heavy. A wider strap helps.

But, trust me, that will be the least of the pain worries for the first six months until finger calluses start to build up! In the early going, tender finger tips + steel strings = pain!

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 06:00 am: Edit

Ok..guess I am thinking of what I see on TV with folks strutting around on stage with their guitars..
Any tips on how to deal with the finger pain? I never thought of that one.

By Cyclingdad (Cyclingdad) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 07:28 am: Edit

Angst, it seems that your screen name is apt. I'm not trying to slam you. If she wants to play the guitar, she will deal with the issues. Yes, electric guitars are heavy. (There are alternatives to heavy ones, but certainly not in the student price range.) However, they are easier on the fingers, relatively speaking, than steel-string acoustic guitars. They are also good for small hands since the necks are narrower. I play, my daughter plays. She prefers her electric. Sitting down for practice is the norm, and it's all practice now! Once she learns to play and finds her own style and type of music, she can decide what type of guitar to get next. Best of luck to her!

By Angstridden (Angstridden) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:16 am: Edit

Yes of course my screen name is apt..thats why I picked it! Just dont want to put any pressure on her neck - after all voice is our first concern..but I understand your points.

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:29 am: Edit

The caluses get better and become hard after a while. You can tell if someone is using an electric guitar. Is she using picks?

By Achat (Achat) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:45 am: Edit

Or is it that real men/women don't use picks? My son used to use picks and an acoustic guitar for many many years. Finally, we bought him an electric guitar and he also stopped using picks.

By Cyclingdad (Cyclingdad) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 09:08 am: Edit

Angst: I think the weight is more on the shoulder than the neck. As Achat says, the more you play, the harder the (finger) calluses get and it doesn't hurt. As long as you keep practicing. Flat pick/finger picking is a matter of style and preference. A good player will learn both. In some cases, you can get the same sound from either. Of course this a matter for the teacher and student to sort out.

By Pattykk (Pattykk) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 09:11 am: Edit

We had the same problem. We bought the student pack, which our daughter decided was "junk." The guitar was heavy, so she practiced sitting down. Eventually, she moved up to a better guitar, still sitting. She had envisioned herself as a very cool, hard-rocking girl, so she was pretty upset when she could not figure out how to play standing up! Now she is back to acoustic, classical guitar, which seems to suit her well. She could just not get that "born to be wild" side expressed. She is still hanging on to the electric. It sure is pretty.

By Sokkermom (Sokkermom) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 09:17 am: Edit

My 12 year old daughter just started (classical)guitar lessons two weeks ago. So far, she loves it. Last night we listened to her version of the Beatle's "Yellow Submarine" about a hundred times. We found that the dog howls when she plays the guitar, but not quite as much as when she plays the saxophone!

By Monydad (Monydad) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 12:17 pm: Edit

If she goes to sitting down, the classical style is supposedly better ergonomically than the "cowboy style" that most folkies adopted. Guitar resting on left leg, foot raised using footstool.

To wit:
http://www.symphonymusicians.com/photographs/01110121ps600.jpg

or :
http://www.bestguitarfest.com/anddl.html

By Limon (Limon) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 04:44 pm: Edit

Angst, is she planning on getting lessons?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page