Draft System Myth?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Draft System Myth?
By Northwestlover (Northwestlover) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 09:47 pm: Edit

Someone I know says if Bush was re-elected, he would declare a war with Iran, and someday he will bring back the draft system. I don't fully trust this statement, but somehow it makes me scare since I'm 16.

What do ya think? I'm not saying this is the truth since it doesn't have any proofs (that's why I put word myth!). So don't take it seriously. I just want to know what you think about this myth.

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 10:00 pm: Edit

doubt it since its congresses job to start a draft i belive

By Vancat (Vancat) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 10:49 pm: Edit

doubtful. Bush is redeploying the armed forces, including a drawdown of power from Germany and Korea. Germany, in particular, was the front line for American forces against the Soviet Union during the cold war, but these are very different times.

This massive reployment of US forces based in Germany *most likely* will relieve stress on current forces in the Middle East, considering a sizeable portion of our current forces were stationed in Europe.

plus, an increasing number of NATO forces are already in the process of helping train Iraqi security forces,etc...

And IMO, I don't think Bush is gonna declare war on Iran anytime soon.

By Asianalto (Asianalto) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:28 pm: Edit

When I heard Scott Ritter speak, he said Bush would re-enact the draft before the election because both Syria and Iran would be at war with us. I don't think that's happening.

By Valpal (Valpal) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:53 pm: Edit

Scott Ritter should be reminded not to order his crystal ball out of the Sears catalog.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:24 am: Edit

If Bush were to go into Iran and Syria, I believe he would be the first westerner since Alexander the Great to actually conquer the majority of the ancient Persian Empire. Of course, going into Iran and Syria would most likely result in tens of thousands of US causulties and prove to be even more difficult than Iraq. I highly doubt Bush would be THAT foolish and careless about the lives of our soldiers.

By Yackityack (Yackityack) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:36 am: Edit

BTW, all the talk about initiating a draft bill and whatnot was started by a democratic congressman, not the republicans. Just for carification.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page