Homework help section

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Homework help section
By Lisasimpson (Lisasimpson) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 05:08 pm: Edit

hey, a couple of days ago i posted a calc question on the high school board that i was having trouble with, and a couple people said it would get deleted, and it did. what's the deal with that? i think most ppl on this web site are really smart and woulnd't mind helping out other students. i don't see anything wrong with just posting a homework question on that board. i know a while ago ppl were trying to discuss politics and stuff on the high school board, and everything got deleted, and then this board was created for stuff like that. so i'm wondering, does anybody know how i can go about like petitioning or something for a homework help board, and does anybody else even like this idea at all?

By Ndbisme5 (Ndbisme5) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

eh... I don't think big brother would like footing the bill for a homework help section. The trick is dressing up the question as an "SAT" question !

So yeah, I have a question about question 34 on the June 2002 SAT.

What is the role of government in the economy?

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 06:06 pm: Edit

I agree... there should be a homework help section.

And Ivy League schools shouldn't get their own section.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 10:04 pm: Edit

Lisasimpson, either post your calculus questions here in the cafe or in the SAT and Test Prep section. I, along with many others, would love to offer you assistence with any math problems. :-D

By Socalnick (Socalnick) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 10:07 pm: Edit

the only problem with a homework help sectioin is that it may encourage plagerism, not that any cc poster would do that.

By Lisasimpson (Lisasimpson) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:16 pm: Edit

hmm yea, i would never plagiarize, i just had no clue where to get help on my question.

soooo i was practicing for the october sat, and i came across this question in the math section:

If xy - x = 2y - 5 then which of the following are true?
a) the relation is a function of x
b) the domain is all the reals but 2
c) the range is all the reals

i'm pretty sure b is true and that c is false, but i'm not sure what A even means ...can anyone help me out?

yea...so a poster told me that A and B were both true before the thread was deleted, and then i asked him to explain what choice A even meant, because it makes no sense to me, and then i didn't see it after that. soo..does anybody know what choice A means?

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 12:49 am: Edit

That equation can be re-written as:

y = (x-5)/(x-2)

As you can see... x can not be 2.

Therefore B is true.

A just means that it can be written as a function in terms of x. As you can see it can because I just did it.

Therefore B is true.

C is not true because y can not be 1. How do I know this, I graphed it!

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:13 am: Edit

I think a question like this would actually be more likely to appear on the SAT II math iiC than an SAT I test.

Yeah, essentially Davidrune's explanation is correct....there's actually a vertical line test which tests whether something is a function...essentially if you run a vertical line through a graph of the function and it never intersects the lines more than once...then it passes the test and is a function.

Since f(x) = (x - 5)/(x - 2) passes the vertical line test, it is a function and thus the equation can be represented as a function of x.

Note that an equation like Y^2 = x cannot be written as one function in terms of x...but would actually require two functions. (y = -sqrt.(x) and y = sqrt.(x)). And true enough, the curve of Y^2 = x thus would fail the verticle line test.

By Lisasimpson (Lisasimpson) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:46 am: Edit

ohhhhh ok i get it now, thanks guys, i think i really understood it when thermodude gave me something that DIDN'T work, and i saw how it was different. that usually works for me. ok, thanks a lot everyone...although i still do think a homework help section would be beneficial.

By Thermodude (Thermodude) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:54 am: Edit

yeah...np lisasimpson...I personally love math anyways. :-D

True enough, I do agree that there should be a homework help section. That would be pretty helpful.

By Obiwan (Obiwan) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 12:20 pm: Edit

College Confidential will not be used to facilitate homework.

Posts with problem-solving content will be evaluated by a number of criteria. Posts that are deemed to be "homework" questions will be deleted. Posters making such posts will be warned and repeat offenders will be banned.

Yes, the process is subjective and arbitrary. It's the best we can do. In internal Moderator discussions, there was considerable sentiment to prohibit ALL problem solving posts. In the end, it was considered that the current flexible but imperfect system was preferable.

--Moderator Obiwan

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page