Should I Change To Engineering?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Should I Change To Engineering?
By Myway (Myway) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 07:42 am: Edit

Right now, I am a Biochemistry major (freshman). I decided on that because I had an interest in pharmacy, medicine, and/or research. I took AP Chemistry my junior year and enjoyed it. So when my senior year in high school rolled around, I chose Biochemistry for my major.

During my senior year, I took Physics I Honors. Ever since then I've come to realize how much I like Physics and Calculus better than Chemistry.

I enjoyed studying the theoretical part about chemistry. But I dislike labs. Especially the type where you "get your hands dirty." I don't think I want to work in research where my job would be based around doing experiments. I like the prospect of doing written work/calculations as opposed to experimentation.

This is probably a very nerdy thing to say, but I'm in Calculus II right now, which is all that is required of a biochemistry major, and that kind of makes me sad. I enjoy calculus and would like to continue some more.

In addition, I'm trying to be very practical. It seems a B.S. in engineering can land you a decent job, but you need a least a masters in biochemistry to earn above the average income.

I have been thinking about changing my major to civil or chemical engineering. I know civil engineering would entail A LOT of physics. I was never too good with the part about circuits. Is this a big part of civil engineering?

I know this is a very broad, general question, but how difficult is civil engineering compared to biochemistry?

And if anyone can give me advice as to how to go about deciding this, that would be great.

By Newton_Jin (Newton_Jin) on Thursday, September 09, 2004 - 11:55 am: Edit

Go for what your heart tells you. There's nothing worse than doing a job you hate. If you really love physics, then I say go for it.

By Fundingfather (Fundingfather) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 08:53 am: Edit

One word of caution: You need to ask yourself what it is about the chem labs that you dislike. If it is the fact that you dislike lab work in general, you should rethink your alternatives. Most forms of engineering will also have considerable lab work involved. If you really want to avoid lab oriented work, you may want to consider Operations Research which is quite often part of the engineering school. It is very math oriented but perhaps involves the least amount of lab work (other than the typical core engineering requirements of physics and chemistry.)

By Celebrian23 (Celebrian23) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 08:36 pm: Edit

change to engineering, if for nothing else, you can get a job with a bachelors though with biochemistry you can't even consider taking a job till you've gone to grad school

By Imblue (Imblue) on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 04:30 am: Edit

Circuits are not a big part of Civil Engineering - that's Electrical Engineering. I agree with fundingfather - there are still lots of experiments (read: projects spanning several weeks) in every Engineering major, except maybe something like Industrial Engineering (which includes Operation Research), which is more math-based. In fact, Chemical Engineering probably has even more in-depth experiments than Chemistry and Biochemistry.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page