People to people (student ambassador program)

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: People to people (student ambassador program)
By James1 (James1) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 07:39 pm: Edit

I got this letter inviting me to go to australia. Has anyone heard of this. Is it worth considering?

By Titanz05 (Titanz05) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:11 pm: Edit

Yea, my friend just got back from Australia and New Zealand from the summer. He said it was reallly awesome. You stay with a family and goto their high school and what not. Plus you meet alot of new people in the process.

However, it is expensive.

By James1 (James1) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:22 pm: Edit

Do you know how much it is?

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

it is def worth it. i did it in 2003. Australia New Zealand Fiji and French Polynesia. IT WAS THE MOST AMAZING EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE..!! :)

my trip totaled around 6 grand, but most trips dont go to Fiji, and its more likely to be 4500-5000. Mine was also three weeks i dont know how long your trip would be,

By Smandel000 (Smandel000) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 12:33 am: Edit

Yes, the P2P Experience truly is original and amazing. I did it while in 7th grade in 2000, and regret the fact that I didn't memorize all the landmarks we visited since that was 5 years ago. I got to see some amazing sites though and learned a lot about the culture and people by staying with host families in England and Ireland. However I do still keep in touch with people from our trip. I went to Great Britain and Ireland, and it was a fantastic trip. I highly recommend it, as it is also a very good activity for colleges to see on your Apps.

By Northstarmom (Northstarmom) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 02:10 am: Edit

The trips may be enjoyable, but such trips do not boost one's chances with colleges. Colleges know that the main thing that one needs to qualify for such trips is to come from a well off family.

If one is looking to boost one's resume, one would be better to create an activity for oneself. Any productive activity that one puts together by one's own sweat and ingenuity will impress colleges more than would a pricey packaged tour.

By Smandel000 (Smandel000) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 09:26 pm: Edit

Well true, but it is an educational trip, so it wont technically go overlooked by colleges. But yea, if you have nothing to do use your ingenuity and come up with an activity. Preferably a protest :)

By James1 (James1) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 04:16 pm: Edit

I wasnt planning on using it to boost my college chances. It just seemed like a fun trip to go on, but i just wanted to know if it was as much fun as it said it was.

By Iplayoboe (Iplayoboe) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 04:47 pm: Edit

it is

By Backhandgrip (Backhandgrip) on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 05:25 pm: Edit

My sons have been invited numerous times. It is expensive but you can work within the community to be able to afford it by getting sponsors.For example our local bakery had a can with a picture of a girl who was going to go.Getting sponsors is a popular thing to do but it takes quite a bit of work.In the end we decided against it and rather save for college.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page