Asian clubs!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Asian clubs!
By Physicskid123 (Physicskid123) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:08 pm: Edit

My friend Hao and I want to start an Asian club at our school... but we are not quite sure what asian club's do. Do you have an Asian club at your school and what do you do?

By Calvin08 (Calvin08) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:20 pm: Edit

Break dance, sell candy leis, that's about it, at least the one I had in hs.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:36 pm: Edit

just play poker, study for SATs, listen to techno, and all that good stuff.

By Physicskid123 (Physicskid123) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 09:40 pm: Edit

That is awesome. I love being Asian. hehe

By Titanz05 (Titanz05) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 10:28 pm: Edit

Play Dance Dance Revolution.

By Crayon87 (Crayon87) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 10:41 pm: Edit

Fashion shows

By Ubercollegeman (Ubercollegeman) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 02:24 am: Edit

Have garage sales where everything is marked up 300% so you can force customers to bargain down products to their original worth.

By Cherrybarry (Cherrybarry) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 06:50 pm: Edit

study for SAT's, play piano, read books, do some math problems, study for SAT's, play piano, etc.

By Stanfordman99 (Stanfordman99) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 07:41 pm: Edit

Why don't you tackle some real issues and discuss things like discrimination and racism in your club? Instead of playing DDR and listening to techno all day, draw attention to the fact that some hick judge in Tennessee declared that a Chinese girl couldn't live with her biological parents who love her. Instead, she was given up for adoption to a white family who wanted a "playmate" for their own kids. The reason was that the judge thought that girls were treated badly in Chinese culture. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/02/national/02CUST.html?ex=1393563600&en=65e8293b8f55a694&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND
Yeah, talk about that kind of stuff. Make it a real club.

By Vancat (Vancat) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 07:47 pm: Edit

"Why don't you tackle some real issues and discuss things like discrimination and racism in your club? Instead of playing DDR and listening to techno all day, draw attention to the fact that some hick judge in Tennessee declared that a Chinese girl couldn't live with her biological parents who love her. Instead, she was given up for adoption to a white family who wanted a "playmate" for their own kids. The reason was that the judge thought that girls were treated badly in Chinese culture. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/02/national/02CUST.html?ex=1393563600&en=65e8293b8f55a694&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND
Yeah, talk about that kind of stuff. Make it a real club."

Or they could study for SATs, bargain, play poker and DDR, listen to techno, play piano and violin, and work on math problems.

By Titanz05 (Titanz05) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:21 pm: Edit

That case happened in Memphis. What actually happened was, the girl was raised by the white couple all her life. She was given to the foster parents because the Chinese parents didn't want her for some reason I forget. So the battle begun about who to give the child to after the Chinese couple wanted to regain custody. I mean I'm very liberal and open-minded, and I don't know what I would have done. To take a kid out of their enviornment and given to another couple no matter if biological or foster might be traumatic. She would have most likely gone back to China. Imagine how hard it would be to adjust to new parents,language,overall new atmosphere. Catch-22.

By 1212 (1212) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 09:25 pm: Edit

forget about asian club, just make or join math club/league, it would be like the same thing

By Takiusproteus (Takiusproteus) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 09:49 pm: Edit

The Asian Cultural Society at my school celebrates Asian culture by working towards putting on a show during the schoolyear. Dances, martial arts demonstrations, and a skit. The most successful show we have.

By Wrathofgod64 (Wrathofgod64) on Wednesday, September 08, 2004 - 01:31 am: Edit

the asia club at my school watches better luck tomorrow and discusses it. that might actually be interesting while tackling "real" issues

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page