Model UN????

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Model UN????
By Bluecrush222 (Bluecrush222) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Hey,
What exactaly is Model United Nations?? I've heard so much about it, but my school dosen't have it...would it be something good to look into getting at our school???

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Model UN is one of the most fun clubs you can get involved in if you like to debate. When you sign up, you are assigned a comittee and a country. All comittees have different issues that they deal with. Your job if to research your country and its position on the issues assigned to you. Then comes the fun part. You get to go to the competitions and write resolutions, form alliances within your comittee, and decide ont he best solutions to the problems presented to you. You learn a lot, meet a lot of new people, and if your school is unreatrded (which mine is not), you get to go to cool places for the competitions! Definately look into it and email me if you have any more questions, I have been in Model UN for 4 years.

By Limon (Limon) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 01:10 pm: Edit

And you get to spend a week in The Hague messing around. Well, supposedly you debate but mostly you go around the place drunk and have snowball fights and play soccer barefoot on ice with Dutch guys.

By Calston (Calston) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 05:45 pm: Edit

It's a blast. Mostly cuz you get out of school for a day. Seriously, lots of my friends do it, and it's fun to hang out w/them and we sometimes propose zany resolutions to the G.A. and such. It's a learning, social, and fun experience. OK, I admit that sounded kinda sappy.

In reference to Model UN:

"Do you kids want to be like the real UN? Or do you just want to squabble and waste time??" -Skinner, on the Simpsons

By 1212 (1212) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 09:22 pm: Edit

model un was fun for me when i was a little ig'nant freshmen, then i started to aquire knowledge that united nation is a puppet organization with only the power to create fruitless "resolutions" that cannot accomplish anything. right that moment i felt the perception that faking a fake congress is no doubt, a waste of time, especially when the debate is with a bunch of ig'nant bastards.

the biggest problem with model un is that schools has turned itinto an individual competition, which ruins the semantics of the UNITED nations. The awards usually go to those dudes/dudettes who speak the most (because the chair, speaking from experience, cant possibly be fully engaged in debate and analyze the impact of speakers), so there are usually a few ppl who get really redundent, pointless, and annoying.

Overall, i guess model un looks aiiigh on your college apps, which is basically the reason so many ppl get involved (including myself)

By Kiwee (Kiwee) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 09:44 pm: Edit

Yes, it is partially an individual competition, but thats part of the fun. It's fun to pull apart the guy who talks a lot just so he will get an award, but has no clue what he is talkign about. Even if you don't talk a lot, if you nail these people with some nasty questions, you have a good shot at an award. Also, a lot of Model UN organizations give out scholarships. It's great fun. You should do it.

By Kfc4u (Kfc4u) on Friday, September 10, 2004 - 01:51 am: Edit

bluecrush222,

which state do you live in? UN cyberschoolbus can give u some tips in starting a MUN club and also the local conferences available.

if youre in southern california, youre in luck, cuz thats where im from, and this place is a MUN hotbed.

but overall, mun is good to develop some skills that are essential for success in the real world, like negotiation, public speaking, maybe global awareness, sensitivity to diversity, etc. it also looks good on college apps, its pretty rewarding if you put hard work into it, and it can be rather fun, especially on travel conferences (but you may have to raise money to attend cuz it can get costly).

its tough to start a mun club but its definately do-able and definately worth it. go here:
http://www.un.org/cyberschoolbus/modelun/index.asp

if u have any other questions, contact me. i was secretary general of my high school mun club for 2 years =)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page