Category 4 Hurricane Ivan

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Confidential Café: 2004 Archive: Category 4 Hurricane Ivan
By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 01:02 am: Edit

Extremely active season so far....

Alex was a Cat 2 at 100 MPH
Bonnie was almost a hurricane at 65 MPH
Charley of course was a Category 4 at 145 MPH
Danielle, though no threat to land, was a decent Cat 2 at 105 MPH
Earl was the only real weakling, only 45 MPH winds
Frances stayed a Cat 4 at 145 MPH for a decent amount of time
Gaston was almost a hurricane at 70 MPH
Hermine only got up to 50 MPH winds
Ivan now... a THIRD Cat 4? And before the halfway point of the hurricane season... he's already up to 135 MPH and the U.S. government says he could become a Category 5 tomorrow.

So that's 5 hurricanes and 3 major hurricanes already. Global warming, anyone? Heh heh heh

By Simba (Simba) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 01:09 am: Edit

yes, but many would call it a junk science.

By Phlogistonfreak (Phlogistonfreak) on Monday, September 06, 2004 - 06:28 pm: Edit

Alex actually also made it to category 3 (120 MPH) after it moved away from North Carolina. Quite a good year, but Ivan sure had quite a plummet - down to 105 MPH as of 5 PM EST, I suppose just as well for many of the Carribean Islands, but they sure are fun to watch get strong.

By Riflesforwatie (Riflesforwatie) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 05:17 pm: Edit

Ah, thanks for the correction, Phlog.

By Encomium (Encomium) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 07:10 pm: Edit

it's actually not that much more active than a 1998, 1999, 1995, 1933, 1935, etc. it just feels that way with the news overcovering frances

By Davidrune (Davidrune) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 07:34 pm: Edit

The apocalypse is upon us.

Repent!!

By Phlogistonfreak (Phlogistonfreak) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 07:45 pm: Edit

No, you're right Encomimum over all it hasn't been that extraordinary, but it was a record august - just nothing happened in june, and Alex had just formed by the end of july so overall it wasn't an incredible year. In august 8 storms reached tropical storm strength (Alex was a tropical depression until august first), beating the old record of 7.

By Chrismoneymaker (Chrismoneymaker) on Tuesday, September 07, 2004 - 08:50 pm: Edit

hmmm...if my house gets destroyed by IVAN I'd have a really good overcoming adversity essay...i say BRING IT

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page